Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2022, 05:47 PM   #21
Gene F

Default Re: Title problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
In SC if no VIN number is available or not found, a new one can be obtained through the state. The numbers are five zeros followed by 5 numbers in consecutive order which will never have two numbers the same again. My VIN inspector only verified that my new VIN matched the number that I had made at a trophy shop and installed on the firewall. He wasn't interested in anything like lights, horn etc. With the VIN number it was clear sailing through title and registration. My vehicle is a collection of parts from various 28 -31 models and I guess it would be a speedster.

John
Yes, as long as they can verify it is not stolen.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:57 PM   #22
Synchro909

We don't have titles for cars here but duplicate numbers can still be a problem. I heard of a guy a few year ago who went to register his newly restored Alvis 3 litre sedan. When he submitted the paperwork, he was told he couldn't register it with a stolen engine. He had owned the car for 23 years and knew the guy he bought it from. He had owned it for even longer so he knew it wasn't stolen. When the owner asked for details about the stolen engine, like "When was it stolen?", he was told it has stolen 5 years earlier and it was a Yamaha motorcycle. He gleefully asked the person refusing to register it (and their superior) to look at the car. It was obvious that was no motorcycle engine under the hood. They agreed that after 5 years, the Yamaha would never be recovered so they struck it off the record and registered the Alvis. They were indeed, the same engine number by coincidence.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #23
31Cabriolet68-C

Ditto on the excellent advice to contact your local AAA folks. Also it's a good idea to reach out to (and join...) a Massachusetts Ford club. Here's why:
Advice from other states and countries, while well-meaning and interesting, will almost certainly not guide you through the processes devised over the centuries by the Massachusetts state government, a notably unique outfit (think Boston Tea Party). Best of luck going forward.
BTW, only about 50 miles south of you, just over the MA line in Connecticut, the "Nutmeg State" actually does not even issue or recognize "titles"... Ownership and registration are both solely based on a "bill of sale", whatever that may mean.
Here's how I know:
I'm the third owner of my Cabriolet, it was new sold in CT, and last registered in 1954, I found it on Long Island (2nd owner), in the early '70s. I started restoration in NJ, then stored it in VA for ~35 years, and brought it back to CT in 2018. No title, no bill of sale, no registration... Getting CT plates was very very complex, but doable! However, (OMG!) I haven't even thought about what would happen should I ever sell it to someone living out-of-state...
TallyHo!
John B
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #24
Tom A400

I just titled a 1931 A400 in NC. The only year of production. The NCDMV had to send an inspector out to look at the vehicle to check the serial number on the engine. The engine serial # dictates the year of the vehicle. I knew this going into the purchase and made sure the engine was a 1931 engine. The first A400 I looked at had a 1929 engine and the seller (OHIO) told me it would not be a problem in NC. WRONG!
Tom A400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #25
ronn

FYI. a 400s were built in 1930 as well.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:31 AM   #26
aermotor

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A400 View Post
I just titled a 1931 A400 in NC. The only year of production. The NCDMV had to send an inspector out to look at the vehicle to check the serial number on the engine. The engine serial # dictates the year of the vehicle. I knew this going into the purchase and made sure the engine was a 1931 engine. The first A400 I looked at had a 1929 engine and the seller (OHIO) told me it would not be a problem in NC. WRONG!
Bottom line, start with the DMV at the state level - not local by applying for a VIN and go from there. Once a VIN number is assigned in one state it should be good for all states.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:48 PM   #27
Boston Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Bottom line, start with the DMV at the state level - not local by applying for a VIN and go from there. Once a VIN number is assigned in one state it should be good for all states.

No, the "bottom line" is every state is different. NC seems like one of the more difficult places to register an antique vehicle. YMMV
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:23 PM   #28
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruce View Post
No, the "bottom line" is every state is different. NC seems like one of the more difficult places to register an antique vehicle. YMMV
Correct, but a VIN number is a VIN number once you have one that's it - good to go - should be able to transfer to any state. Title and registration is two different animals.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:32 AM   #29
ronn

Title and registration is two different animals.

that would be incorrect....... about 10 states only use regs for titles. it is the same thing, but you need to know which states use which.

regs are used in NY CT RI GA MASS VT ME BAMA MISS etc. they are TITLES in all 50 states.

as clear as mud......but if you know what you are doing, not a problem. Problem with titling are to many armchair quarterbacks, who really dont know what they are talking about.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #30
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
and for only 70. Chris, you can hand all of your paperwork to AAA

and not spend 5 hours in dmv to get processed.

one of the "nice" things about Cali
Living in CA I always use the AAA. I don't know if folks in other states have that luxury.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #31
ronn

W dont Chris- that is a Cali thing ........

most I have spoken with must spend 5 hrs to get through dmv in CA- so AAA is a wonderful option
Old 09-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #32
1931 flamingo

ronn

News to me that CT uses regs as Titles......................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #33
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
ronn

News to me that CT uses regs as Titles......................
Paul in CT
On cars that are 20 years or older.

If you look on a Connecticut registration there is a place that is checked for title or no title.

Connecticut also has a state form for Bill of Sale.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #34
ronn

as WHN says.

Ill take all of your CT regs for As and magically turn them into NJ titles or NY regs

done every day.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:28 AM   #35
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
as WHN says.

Ill take all of your CT regs for As and magically turn them into NJ titles or NY regs

done every day.
Glad to hear that from a non-armchair quarterback
Old 09-06-2022, 11:32 AM   #36
ronn

Houdini had nothing on me.......

lol
Old 09-06-2022, 01:25 PM   #37
rich40701

Simple, just file for a lost title give your address and see whose name is on it when you get it.
rich40701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #38
aermotor

Okay, so much for title vs registration in some states. What about selling to a state that requires a title from a state where a reg is sufficient?
Old 09-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #39
ronn

we live in the United States of America. all MUST accept the other 49 states paperwork.

will they give you a hard time? sometimes...... people treat dmv like the IRS- its called FEAR.

stand up for yourself and find out what is really required in your state. When they say no, take your paperwork and hit another dmv. Its not rocket science.

Knowledge is key.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #40
Gene F

When I am thinking about buying a car in another state I ask the seller what they have in hand, and the VIN on the actual car. Then I call the courthouse. Then I call again the next day to make sure I get the same story.

One time I was buying a car in California, and having it shipped. I asked the girl how she would know a stae that far away. She told me "we have a NADA book that tells us".
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote