Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2023, 01:53 PM   #21
JayChicago

Default Re: Distributor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy again View Post
Jay, Nice meeting you at the southside car show Waggy had. Are you a CGH member?
Yes, was good talking with you. And yes, have been a member for just a few years.
For those who might be curious what we are talking about: CGH is Chicago GearHeads, a local car club started about thirty years ago by a small group of Chicago police who were into quarter mile drag cars. Club has grown big over the years, but still most members (not all-not me) are active or retired CPD. Now open to all kinds of cars; at our meetings we get to oogle at everything from T-buckets to late model 'Vettes.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 03:45 PM   #22
Fritz

Pertronix has been wonderful for me on a 6v rebuilt crab distributor when I could not find points, condensers, and coils that were worth using or worked at all in a 3 bolt helmet distributor.

When you get your broken distributor sorted out, you can search for quality stock parts, or do Pertronix, but just do the install exactly how they instruct.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #23
elwood

I agree 100 % on both, Id run the original Distributor and Charlie Schwendler is a incredible small parts machinist
Id start here also 716-662-9159

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47topless View Post
Rebuild your original. I would start here. One of the best.
Charlie Schwendler. 716-662-9159
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:43 PM   #24
CallmeBob

Thanks guys I found a distributor this afternoon for $25. When it warms up a little I'll clean it up and check it out. Since the one I have has a new Pertronix in it I may put it in the distributor I found. The coil I have is a Pertronix Flame thrower, it might be a little to strong for the stock points and condenser. It's only 34 degrees here now.
CallmeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:40 PM   #25
tubman

There is a thread currently on the H.A.M.B. about Pertronix on early Fords. It seems that they are extremely sensitive to the voltage in the charging system and that using them with generators is a real iffy proposition. It seems that they just don't want to work right if the system voltage is marginal.

I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #26
CallmeBob

I am running a 12v system with an alternator
Old 11-27-2023, 07:26 AM   #27
Terry,OH

The distributor is supposed to be installed one way on the cam slot. The slot is slightly off-set. If you get it incorrect there will be a lot of damage to the distributor when trying to start. Suggest getting a rebuilt distributor from one of the suppliers such as Third Gen Auto in Tenn or Skip Haney in Fla.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:18 PM   #28
Ol' Ron

I've installed several Chevy distributors on early 59 blocks using the drive adapter and a latr timing cover. Worked OK once I got the right cam adapter. Not sure where you can get them??
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 07:35 AM   #29
CallmeBob

Found what caused distributor to break. The washer I found inside was supposed to be a spacer under the Pertronix Igniter. Without both washers the screws that hold the igniter in hits on the cam plate in the distributor and will not let it turn. With only one washer, like mine was, the distributor will turn almost a half turn each way and stop. So with the one washer not in place the distributor turned until it hit the screw then broke when the motor kept turning. So when you have something that is supposed to be rebuilt make sure to check it before installing. I made the mistake of not checking.