Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
American Iron

Default Banjo Axles

Can I change just the axles and housings from a 39' Ford to a 42' Ford center section? Thanks for any help. Dan
American Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Banjo Axles

I don't see why not as long as you use the axles AND the housings. The banjo casting is the same. Put new seals inside the housings at the outer end since it will be apart. If this is to go in a 39 it will be exactly the same width as the original 39. If it is to go into a 42 it will be a little narrower and you would have to use the 42 torque tube and radius rods. You will also want to use the 39 spring on the 39 axle housings .

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 03-03-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: thought of other issues depending on use
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
American Iron

Thanks for the info. I have a 39' pickup with 4:11 gears and I bought a 42' with 3:78's. I want to swap just the center section into the truck with a S10 T5 trans. to be able to keep up with the traffic. It already has a 100hp. V/8. Dan American Iron
American Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

Make sure you use exactly the same thickness gaskets on each side of the banjo as was originally on there, that was part of the original setup.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #5
40 Deluxe

[QUOTE=deuce_roadster;1733108]Make sure you use exactly the same thickness gaskets on each side of the banjo as was originally on there, that was part of the original setup.[/QUOTE

Maybe, maybe not. Those gaskets serve as shims for setting backlash and preload on the side bearings. The machining tolerances could be different on the housings you're using.

Last edited by 40 Deluxe; 03-05-2019 at 10:52 AM.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

Could mic both banjos and see how close they are to being the same width. My understanding is these are used parts going together not new ones and are probably more forgiving. Alternatively, could do a complete setup from scratch.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
rotorwrench

With used bearings, a person doesn't want as much preload as with new but it has to have at least some preload. The original stack would get the backlash pretty close but it's hard to judge on old compressed gaskets unless you know how much they compress under torque up. It's also hard to judge how much the wear has affected the original backlash. If a person replaces bearings then it should be adjusted from scratch with new gaskets.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote