Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2023, 12:39 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Rear Axle Rebuild Continues

I have another afternoon to continue the disassembly of the rear axle. Today it is the axles and carrier assembly. The axle housings have been removed. I started to loosen the nuts that hold the carrier together. I have marked the carrier to be sure it gets assembled the same way I have received it. I also marked the ring gear so it gets back on in the same place I found it.

I have just noticed that it takes a lot of torque to twist the axles in opposite directions. I can see the spider gears turning while turning the axles in opposite directions. It would seem to me that the axles should be able to be moved very easily. This must mean that when I previously assembled the carrier, I also added a lot of drag to the assembly. How do I prevent this from happening when I reassemble the carrier? What is possibly wrong inside the carrier?
Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:28 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Rear Axle Rebuild Continues

Grasp the axle shafts as close to the carrier as possible and lift it up and turn the shafts in opposite directions. I think you will find that they turn easy. They turn easy when supported at each end by bearings.

There were some reproduction axles made years ago that will bind up the carrier.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:14 PM   #3
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Rear Axle Rebuild Continues

Hello Tom, thank you for your reply. I now have the carrier bolts out and of course everything is very smooth and free to turn. I am going to inspect the spider gears and 3 way support. Then I will go through the process of removing the axles and assembling the axle housings to check lockup etc. per your 2014 paper. Your paper is very helpful. I did not have your paper 2 years ago when I replaced a broken ring gear and at that time I did not change the pinion gear that was supposed to go with the ring gear. Unfortunately, when I got the rear end together two years ago it did have some binding. Thats why I am working on it now. It seems that there is always plenty of time to do the job over again rather than doing it right the first time! Thank you for your help. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote