Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #61
scooder

Default Re: why no blowers in daily drivers?

My posts 're the B&M style manifolds, were just idea's, not telling you to buy them, just idea's of similar blower style mounting. These idea's were intended to help you move forward. To maybe
Help a bit with your research. Which you're, as you stated completely entitled to do.
Martin.
Genuinely just throwing ideas about, in a hope that they be helpful.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #62
Fordestes

Scooder ,
please accept my apology , I really had no intention of being sarcastic or offebsive.
All of you here mean a lot to me, I have called, googled, knocked on doors in an attempt to locate what I have pictured in my mind and on paper, I would like to know what the flange dimentions are on that particular manifold, I guess I will try and find out if Mr,Austin is still making manifolds ,if so theres no doubt he can get me fixed up
This project is not a real high priority, will someone walk me through the posting of the mitchell pictures? I have them on computer but can't get them to post.

Thanks
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:58 AM   #63
scooder

Fordestes, thems only words, takes more than them to offend me buddy.
That Austin manifold does look ideal for a 53 series blower.
I've sent Elwood a pm asking for the flange and height dimensions, so hopefully we'll have them soon.
All the best,
Martin.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #64
Fordestes

I sent the pics. to elwood to post for me of the michell intake and my freshly built and overpriced 471 Blower.I was wondering what lenght drive snout everyone else is using on an 8 B.A. and michell manifold.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #65
41merc

What's TBI/ign?
41merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #66
elwood

sure would like to see the top of that intake ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-21-2015 019.jpg (94.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 2-21-2015 021.jpg (87.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 2-21-2015 022.jpg (88.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 2-21-2015 023.jpg (86.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 2-21-2015 028.jpg (75.0 KB, 61 views)
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #67
saltracer

[/IMG][/IMG]
saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #68
Bored&Stroked

Another option is to talk to H&H, they have the Navarro blower manifold - which does include some pop-off valves (which is not a bad idea). Another manifold and complete system that I like is the one that Tom Roberts has (I believe the Magnuson system uses it). It has a much bigger plenum - which may or may not work (depending on your setup), but worth checking out.

http://www.tr-designs.com/FlatheadMain.htm

Tom is a good dude, is partners in crime with Tony Baron . . . great guys. The manifold shown up above reminds me of the original SCoT, the Navarro, etc - one has to wonder what fuel distribution is like (with that small opening and a long way to reach the outer cylinders). Anyway, checkout all the options.

B&S

Manfold Base - very different than the small opening ones from Navarro, Mitchell, etc.:

BlowerManifold3.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #69
Fordestes

Sorry I must have forgot to wind the film,
They are on my puter but didn't post, Thanks Saltracer for the help,
Saltracer do you think there would be enough area on the sides of the manifold to machine a pressure relief?
A racer told me a blown BB.Chev. requires only a 7/8 inch relief hole, sounds a little small but any relief valve is better than no relief valve I suppose.
fordestes
Old 02-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #70
Fordestes

I viewed the t/r offerings, looks to be cost effective , and a lot simpler ,just plug and play, what needs to be done to the carburetors to make them blower friendly besides enrichenig the fuel air mixture? as it says Modified carburetor.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #71
saltracer

Fordestes I don't own one of those intakes, just had the picture on my Facebook page Fullrace Flathead. This is my current project intake, efi with blower

saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #72
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
I viewed the t/r offerings, looks to be cost effective , and a lot simpler ,just plug and play, what needs to be done to the carburetors to make them blower friendly besides enrichenig the fuel air mixture? as it says Modified carburetor.
Typically the power valves need to be 'boost referenced' - so they understand blower boost and can still enrich correctly. Also, in many cases the overall fuel circuits and associated fuel curves are modified. For the price he's quoting on the carb, probably just boost referencing . . . as a "built carb" will cost a lot more than that!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #73
Diavolo

I live in the same town as Joe Abbin, he apparently ran his coupe with a blower for a good many miles and sells kits. His book also has the recipes for what he's personally dyno tested.

My OT is a tiny little motor with a blower on it and it's a daily driver. No issues, very reliable.

For me, the main issue is cost. I can't see spending the same amount of money for internals, only to then drop 2K on the blower on top of it all. For practical reasons, bolting on one for a street engine is just a waste of money. After all the specialty parts inside, the extra cost of fuel, etc. I might as well just go with a slightly less expensive setup that will last me 100K miles without the worry and expense.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #74
IndianapolisRacer

Building an 8 BA blown with 471 and a Navarrow intake,I require information on drive snout, idler, and pulleys for drive , want to run v belts .Any help appreciated.
IndianapolisRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #75
slowforty

One thing about superchargers on a Flathead,You get really good at changing Head Gaskets.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #76
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianapolisRacer View Post
Building an 8 BA blown with 471 and a Navarrow intake,I require information on drive snout, idler, and pulleys for drive , want to run v belts .Any help appreciated.
The thing to note right from the start is that you'll be working with a custom setup no matter what. I'm not aware of any "off the shelf" setup that will have everything you need.

Are you talking dual "wide belts" like the early engines had, modern v-belts, how many?, or ???

Crankshaft Hub/Drive: You could probably get a crankshaft hub from somebody like H&H, though a better approach might be to take a SBC dampner and bore it to fit the flathead crank - than you can mount your v-belt drive pulley to it. You'll most likely have a custom belt pulley made for the crankshaft end of this.

Water Pump Belts and Drive: Depending on how you want your belt setup to work, you may have from 1 to all of them on your water pumps - so you might need new pulleys there.

There are all sorts of different lengths of snouts available - though they are all designed for a modern blower belt type of pulley (they bolt on). Somebody will have to custom make you a v-belt drive pulley for the blower.

Belt Tensioner: Many ways to handle this - just needs to be designed and have a place to mount. In the old days, lots of folks used a tensioner that mounter off the snout - you don't see that much these days. My guess is that whatever you need, it will be custom made - and probably bolt to the front of the blower intake manifold.

Intake and Mounting: The Navarro intake was designed for a small blower - more like a SCoT . . . has a very small opening. You'll have to make a mounting plate of some sort for the 471 to bolt to. If you want to make the 471 look a bit better, you can have the case "pruned" (getting rid of the wide mounting flanges), then new mounting holes can be drilled/tapped on the outlet flange - then this can be bolted to whatever adapter plate you put on top of the manifold. Obviously somebody has to ponder how to actually get to, install and tighten the bolts - so it needs to be thought through.

Room in the Car: As you can imagine, all of this takes room on the front of the engine. So, if you're in a tight environment, you'll need to consider ALL of this and determine what you have to work with (it just may not fit!). You may also have to go to 59x water pumps and a different front setup - just another belt location option. Mounting a fan will undoubtedly be an issue - so you'll most likely be going to an electric fan - so plan on it.

Okay - enough of a brain dump for this morning!

B&S
Old 03-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #77
Tim Ayers

I know this comment may be off topic, but most of my friends run SBC's. Most of them are switching over to LS1's with turbos. I was amazed at how much HP they are getting with these junk yard set-ups.

Besides looks, what keeps us from running turbos on our flatheads? Seems like a win/win. No parasitic HP drain running the drive, belts, etc. May help with cooling since under boost, the turbos are helping to pull the exhaust out. Plus, you are getting extra efficiency to help the "poor" breathing of the L-head design.

Just a thought...
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #78
scooder

Turbo's don't pull the exhaust out, quite the opposite. The exhaust blows the turbo which is on a common shaft as the compressor, and this bit pushes the inlet mix in.
As far as exhaust gas is concerned, the turbo is in the way. And they certainly don't help cool anything! You seen the heat these things operate at? They often glow red under boost conditions! The compressor being bolted to and on a common shaft as the turbo gets mighty hot.
An incorrectly sized turbo setup is not pleasant, the sizing is much more critical than a proper supercharger, you can easily change the speed of the supercharger and compensate for a size miss match, with turbos you need to change the hot side of the turbo to achieve this, much more spendy than a different size pulley.
Martin.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #79
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Turbo's don't pull the exhaust out, quite the opposite. The exhaust blows the turbo which is on a common shaft as the compressor, and this bit pushes the inlet mix in.
As far as exhaust gas is concerned, the turbo is in the way. And they certainly don't help cool anything! You seen the heat these things operate at? They often glow red under boost conditions! The compressor being bolted to and on a common shaft as the turbo gets mighty hot.
An incorrectly sized turbo setup is not pleasant, the sizing is much more critical than a proper supercharger, you can easily change the speed of the supercharger and compensate for a size miss match, with turbos you need to change the hot side of the turbo to achieve this, much more spendy than a different size pulley.
Martin.
Hey Martin:

Thanks for the correction. Correct, the exhaust pushes the impellor, but once it starts spinning there isn't a vacuum effect created?

I'm truly asking for that's how I thought they worked. I may be completely off base on this.

I also know some set-ups use either an air to air and air to liquid intercooler set-up that to cool the charge.

I have seen some red hot turbo units and can imagine the heat they produce. So I guess you are saying the heat in then transferred to the incoming charge since they share the same impellor, thusly the need for an intercooler.

Tim
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #80
1952henry

Most over the road trucks use air to air systems