Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 03:53 AM   #1
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: W(BY GOD)V
Posts: 3,132
Question 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

How in the world do you get in? I got in once and cannot figure how to do it again.

Are they checking at the door now ...

CORNFUSED AND AGITATED IN W(BY GOD)V ...
__________________
__________________________________

Let' see ... What's on for tonight ...

* ALCOHOL
* LOW STANDARDS
* LOOSE CHEAP TAWDRY WOMEN - (WEARING DOLLY PARTON WIGS)
* POOR DECISIONS

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #2
down-the-road
Member
 
down-the-road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cranberry Township, PA
Posts: 44
Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

You have to check in with the three-headed monster first!
Now let's se if I can get these steps in the right order and maybe add a couple of pictures to go with them.

1. Click on the tab with three heads to get a list.
2. Click on the words SOCIAL FORUMS to get another list.
3. Click on the word Brands to get the list of forums identified by vehicle brand.
4. Click on the words 1952-59 Ford Social Group. If you are already a member, you see the posts in that group.
5. You need to join the group if you see (You have insufficient privileges to post here.) Click on the words Social Forum Tools to get another list.
6. Click on the words JOIN SOCIAL FORUM. Now you are a member and can see posts in the forum.

Just close the window when you are done with the posts. You can drop your membership in the the group if you go back to Social Forum Tools and click the words LEAVE SOCIAL FORUM.

Now let's see if I can get the pictures in here in the correct order. It is tricky at first to get into the HAMB social forum, but it is easier to post pictures over there. Both places have a bunch of great guys and great information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 1 and 2.JPG.jpg (11.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 3.JPG.jpg (11.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 4.JPG.jpg (18.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 5.JPG.jpg (16.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 6.JPG.jpg (18.8 KB, 6 views)
down-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
down-the-road
Member
 
down-the-road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cranberry Township, PA
Posts: 44
Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

CORNFUSED! HEE-HAW! Start here..


Last edited by down-the-road; 03-05-2021 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Bigger Picture
down-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: W(BY GOD)V
Posts: 3,132
Exclamation Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

DAMN!


Prison release was easier ...
__________________
__________________________________

Let' see ... What's on for tonight ...

* ALCOHOL
* LOW STANDARDS
* LOOSE CHEAP TAWDRY WOMEN - (WEARING DOLLY PARTON WIGS)
* POOR DECISIONS

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: W(BY GOD)V
Posts: 3,132
Thumbs up Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

THANX GUYS!


What I am trying to find is retro-fitting self adjusters on pre- 1958 FORD.

In 1958 FORD supposedly installed self-adjusters on high trim FORD - MERC (1957) - LINC.

No mention in either the 49/59 MPC . First years used shows 1961.
__________________
__________________________________

Let' see ... What's on for tonight ...

* ALCOHOL
* LOW STANDARDS
* LOOSE CHEAP TAWDRY WOMEN - (WEARING DOLLY PARTON WIGS)
* POOR DECISIONS

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
54vicky
Senior Member
 
54vicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 586
Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
self adjusters is a pretty vague.kreskin might think brakes but mere mortals?
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: W(BY GOD)V
Posts: 3,132
Thumbs up Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

... got in ...

Waited for lunch and they left a window open ...
__________________
__________________________________

Let' see ... What's on for tonight ...

* ALCOHOL
* LOW STANDARDS
* LOOSE CHEAP TAWDRY WOMEN - (WEARING DOLLY PARTON WIGS)
* POOR DECISIONS

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:58 AM   #8
JeffB2
Senior Member
 
JeffB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 1,344
Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

What it all comes down to on the self adjusters is to find a later model Ford that uses the same brake shoes then you use the same hardware and adjuster kits. The first one we did in the Group was the 1952-54 Fords they use the same shoes as 1967-72 Mustangs so that made it easy. One little trick is to use the Rock Auto catalog online when you click on a brake shoe part number you get a pop up showing other cars that use the same shoes self adjusters became more standard about 1962 and later.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: W(BY GOD)V
Posts: 3,132
Thumbs up Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post

What it all comes down to on the self adjusters is to find a later model Ford that uses the same brake shoes then you use the same hardware and adjuster kits. The first one we did in the Group was the 1952-54 Fords they use the same shoes as 1967-72 Mustangs so that made it easy.

One little trick is to use the Rock Auto catalog online when you click on a brake shoe part number you get a pop up showing other cars that use the same shoes self adjusters became more standard about 1962 and later.
I was wondering where you were. Remember we had a discussion here previously about the conversion. You said one would either modify the retaining pin (2027 in Ill) or Modify the spring retainer (2028) by narrowing its' thickness I believe.

And now you are saying to find a later shoe(s) with later webbing that will accept the self-adjusting components. Makes sense to me. But if the FORD has 11" shoes and the MUST has 10" shoes, will the cable be long enough for the earlier shoe?

I just noticed you say your social group has a FAQ which I failed to notice. Is there more info there?

FORD actually began install in 1958, but there is nothing in the MPC about it or the SHOP MANUAL(S). MERC has the info.

Anywho, I began to think (not common) that a front disc swap needs the rear self-adjusters to keep the drums in proper adjustment so as not to over work the disc.

THANX!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRAKE - MERC - 1957-59 FRT Self-Adj.jpg (54.9 KB, 10 views)
__________________
__________________________________

Let' see ... What's on for tonight ...

* ALCOHOL
* LOW STANDARDS
* LOOSE CHEAP TAWDRY WOMEN - (WEARING DOLLY PARTON WIGS)
* POOR DECISIONS

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:01 AM   #10
frnkeore
Senior Member
 
frnkeore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 609
Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

This is a page from my '58 Edsel Service manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Self Adjuster.jpg (52.2 KB, 11 views)
__________________
Frank
'35 Ford Model 51
'48 Ford F3
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #11
JeffB2
Senior Member
 
JeffB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 1,344
Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I was wondering where you were. Remember we had a discussion here previously about the conversion. You said one would either modify the retaining pin (2027 in Ill) or Modify the spring retainer (2028) by narrowing its' thickness I believe.

And now you are saying to find a later shoe(s) with later webbing that will accept the self-adjusting components. Makes sense to me. But if the FORD has 11" shoes and the MUST has 10" shoes, will the cable be long enough for the earlier shoe?

I just noticed you say your social group has a FAQ which I failed to notice. Is there more info there?

FORD actually began install "in 1958, but there is nothing in the MPC about it or the SHOP MANUAL(S). MERC has the info.

Anywho, I began to think (not common) that a front disc swap needs the rear self-adjusters to keep the drums in proper adjustment so as not to over work the disc.

THANX!
You match the aduster and hardware kits to the shoes 10" to 10" and 11 " to " 11 taking also the width into account as well. This has become an issue with most 1955-59 Fords as finding drums and shoes for these has become a nightmare for many check out the link here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rake+shoe,1688 Notice that a lot of the cars in the list are pre-60's that did not use self adjusters.The 1957-59 Ford 9" rear ends have been in demand for swaps for years in 50's Fords and have become pricey so in some cases swapping out the backing plates for a later Ford that you can get drums and shoes and hardware more readily might be in order.

Last edited by JeffB2; 03-08-2021 at 09:52 AM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: W(BY GOD)V
Posts: 3,132
Thumbs up Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post

You match the aduster and hardware kits to the shoes 10" to 10" and 11 " to " 11 taking also the width into account as well.

This has become an issue with most 1955-59 Fords as finding drums and shoes for these has become a nightmare for many check out the link here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rake+shoe,1688

Notice that a lot of the cars in the list are pre-60's that did not use self adjusters
Hey, THANX for that info JeffB2COOL. I saw entries on your HAMB-BONE site suggesting using later brake assemblies and like the reference you gave to period correct dual reservoir master cylinders as to rebuilding a correct take-off as opposed to buying an off-shore look-a-like.

THANX again as I think I am about to speed on retro-fitting.

Now one has to worry about finding a correct/undamaged set of later shoes that can be re-lined.
__________________
__________________________________

Let' see ... What's on for tonight ...

* ALCOHOL
* LOW STANDARDS
* LOOSE CHEAP TAWDRY WOMEN - (WEARING DOLLY PARTON WIGS)
* POOR DECISIONS

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #13
paul2748
Senior Member
 
paul2748's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midland Park, NJ
Posts: 2,972
Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

The TBirds used 11 inch shoes. There is a write up in the Early Bird magazine on self adjusting conversion with part numbers. I have a copy if your interested. Will send snail mail
__________________
48 Ford Conv
56 Tbird
54 Ford Victoria
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:28 AM   #14
KULTULZ
Senior Member
 
KULTULZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: W(BY GOD)V
Posts: 3,132
Thumbs up Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post

The TBirds used 11 inch shoes. There is a write up in the Early Bird magazine on self adjusting conversion with part numbers. I have a copy if your interested. Will send snail mail
That would be most helpful and appreciated.

What I am trying to ascertain is how to do a disc swap correctly using only FORD parts (NO GM - Off-Shore).

I will PM you my address as I still have a few outstanding warrants floating and they are starting to get close again ...
__________________
__________________________________

Let' see ... What's on for tonight ...

* ALCOHOL
* LOW STANDARDS
* LOOSE CHEAP TAWDRY WOMEN - (WEARING DOLLY PARTON WIGS)
* POOR DECISIONS

KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #15
51504bat
Senior Member
 
51504bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SoCal-Redlands
Posts: 1,807
Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

I don't know if nascardave is still active on the board or not but he would be a go to guy about info on front discs with stock parts. A very helpful guy. Don't know if he'll see this thread or not. You might try a PM also. He has been a world of help on my '54 Ranch Wagon project.
__________________
Making the simple complicated for over 30 years.
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.