Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2024, 04:36 AM   #1
Brian

Default three brush regulator

When early fords were equipped with radios or other high electrical draw items, there was available, instead of the regular round cutout, a sorta oval regulator that attached atop the 3 brush generator. i think it contained a cutout and some sort of voltage control.
Over the years, from time to time, I have run 3 brush generators on 12 volt neg earth, using either fun products regulators or simply a diode fitted within the cutout housing. What would be involved in converting the optional oval regulator to handle 12 volts? I have finally sourced one and want to get it converted to be able to cope with the higher voltage.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:19 AM   #2
ndnchf

Default Re: three brush regulator

The March 1934 service bulletin has a pretty detailed description of the two-rate relay. I suggest reading that to get a good understanding of how it works.

Have you seen Dave Gunnarson's recent V8 Times article on cutouts? He discusses these. There are several variations too.

While anything is possible with enough time and money, I don't think it is feasible for the average guy to modify one for the purpose you describe. The cutout part could be adjusted for 12 volts, I've done it for round cutouts. If you installed an EVR in the generator, it could work with the cutout. Too bad it is not still 6 volt positive ground. Then you could use one. BTW, the covers are very difficult to remove. Much more difficult than round cutout covers.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240325_180235_copy_617x589.jpg (103.8 KB, 101 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:01 AM   #3
Terry,OH

Suggest changing the operation of the two rate to be the same as the regular cutout. Just add the diode or you may be able to put the internals of a Fun Projects inside.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 09:44 AM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
The March 1934 service bulletin has a pretty detailed description of the two-rate relay. I suggest reading that to get a good understanding of how it works.

Have you seen Dave Gunnarson's recent V8 Times article on cutouts? He discusses these. There are several variations too.

While anything is possible with enough time and money, I don't think it is feasible for the average guy to modify one for the purpose you describe. The cutout part could be adjusted for 12 volts, I've done it for round cutouts. If you installed an EVR in the generator, it could work with the cutout. Too bad it is not still 6 volt positive ground. Then you could use one. BTW, the covers are very difficult to remove. Much more difficult than round cutout covers.

Steve

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 10:38 AM   #5
cas3

Those fun projects regulators were unavailable for quite a while, are they back in production?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:09 PM   #6
terry

I don't think they are, but what Brian wants to do with that 6v oval regulator will require that he be careful if staying with 12v. The amps output could burn out the generator if
the 3rd brush isn't adjusted for a lower output. I used a fun projects regulator (looks just like a cutout) for 12v neg ground for quite awhile. The directions said to adjust the 3rd brush to not put out more than 9 amps. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 11:28 PM   #7
kiwi nz

Brian, I am not sure of what you are trying to do, my 37 with its radio had one of those oval regulators, it also had a smaller pulley. i remember mucking around with it and having to 'turn up" the third brush to keep my radio going during the week and having to turn the lights on during a trip to stop the battery from boiling. That motor, gen and reg is still sitting under my work bench.

Is there some secret combination sitting there waiting?

Geoff
kiwi nz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:34 PM   #8
rotorwrench

The 2-stage unit was a cut out with an extra control relay. The control relay would allow the generator to charge until the battery was fully charged. With the battery charged, the system voltage would start to rise. When it reached 8.5 volts, the relay would open and shut down the generator. The caveat to the system was that the generator would not come back on line till the engine rpm slowed down to idle. In stop and go traffic, this worked out OK but in long distance travel, the battery would discharge until the next stop.

These units require both an armature lead (red) and a ground lead (black) to protrude the case in order to connect the unit up. The B-model & V8 generators were set up this way in early 1934 or so and stayed that way till the 3-pole voltage regulators with 2-brush generators came out around 1939.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 01:50 PM   #9
Bill OH

I had a three brush generator in 1950 with the two control regulator - PIN. Installed two brush generator with 3 pole regulator and no more trouble. I recall hand cranking the engine in the center of the business district because the battery was low from powering sealed beam headlights and tube radio. Experience!!!!
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote