Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
BoxCar Tom

Default 32 3W door pull strap stitching

Anyone have a picture of the stitching on the backside of an original 32 3W door pull strap? I'v seen two versions, one looked like it was done with a sewing machine and the other had what looks like base ball cross stitching. Which is the correct pattern or are they both correct? Thanks
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 32 3W door pull strap stitching

Here's a photo of the back side of an original which appears to have been both machined stitched and hand stitched on the ends. Short of seeing a copy of the original engineering drawing at the BFRC in Dearborn, my guess would be that if there were two suppliers and each used different stitching, but both met the design intent, then they would have been approved for production use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 491.jpg (36.9 KB, 71 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
BoxCar Tom

Thanks Dave, Thats a different version of the machine stitching than what I saw a few years back. Your guess that there were variations from one supplier to the next makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Here's a photo of the back side of an original which appears to have been both machined stitched and hand stitched on the ends. Short of seeing a copy of the original engineering drawing at the BFRC in Dearborn, my guess would be that if there were two suppliers and each used different stitching, but both met the design intent, then they would have been approved for production use.
Dave- Any idea where to source metal ends for these?, or the whole straps? Are the ends unique to the 3W? Thanks.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
DavidG

Carl,

The ends are not unique to the deluxe coupe door pulls. They were also used on deluxe Fordor robe rails on the back of the front seat and on Victoria and deluxe sedan assist straps on the B pillars. They were also used on similar applications on '33s, including door pull straps on early deluxe closed cars. I see them from time to time on ebay and the HAMB still attached to the remains of their original use. They were originally nickel plated like most of the other interior hardware.

With LeBaron Bonney gone, I know of no current source for the complete door pull straps. You will likely have to find the ends and have a local upholsterer to make up the straps.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
BoxCar Tom

Were these ends also used on some Model A applications as well?

I have two sets of these brackets, one set is steel the other brass, all are nickel plated. I have two examples of the internal construction. One example had a fabric strap similar to cowl lacing, its attached to the end bracket with a pice of formed metal. The other example is a robe rail, it has a chain enclosed in a rubber hose. In both cases the finished upholstery material must have been slipped on then the end cover sewn on. Please forgive me if Im over sharing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030357.jpg (113.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1030360.jpg (132.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by BoxCar Tom; 09-05-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
DavidG

Tim,

Likely they were carried over from the Model As. The steel ones are a first for me as those I have (and have seen) have all been made of brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 167.jpg (39.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 168.jpg (226.7 KB, 21 views)