Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Rufo

Default adjusting 37 sedan headlights

Guys - for the headlight setup on my 37 sedan, I have Drake buckets with Vintique reflectors, 45/55 watt halogen bulbs and stock (original) Ford Twolight lenses. Problem is adjustment, even with the big/little rake the car has, and adjusting the reflector to the lowest (pointing down) possible setting, the light still is way too high - it's like lighting the tops of the trees...

With a little fog or smoke, you can see the light beam mostly going through the lower part of the lens (below the center prism), and the beam is clearly pointing up.

Any thoughts on adjustment, different lenses, or???
Rufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: adjusting 37 sedan headlights

Rufo, I wish you had read some of the reviews on that setup before investing in it. There is no way you'll be able to focus Halogens through those lenses, and even if you could, you'd need to up your wiring and charging systems to accommodate the humongous draw from Halogens. I hope you saved your old reflectors and sockets?

A good setup would be original reflectors resilvered if needed, original lenses washed with detergent to remove the many years of smog stains, 50-32 bulbs to replace the original 32-32 bulbs, buckets grounded directly to the frame, and a set of (2) relays up near the radiator to power the system, so the dimmer switch is only needed to switch from one relay to the other for low/high beams, relays powered by 10 gauge wire director from the solenoid. Some guys paint their buckets with white paint, I used tin foil in mine.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
40cpe

There was a set of Drake's halogen conversions (12v) in my car when I bought it. The light is adequate (for the speed these old cars should be driven) through the original lenses. I have read of your problems with conversions from other sources.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
mark180

I had a setup like this when I got my 37. I switched back to regular bulbs. If you want to keep the halogen lights, you will need to get lenses made for halogen lights (no prisons in lenses). I think Joe’s has them
mark180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
Rufo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Guys, thanks for the replies. To me, the original lenses are an important part of the look I want, so I will try finding a set of original reflectors, sockets, and a source for 12v bulbs. In the meantime, I'll just keep taping off part of the lenses when I have to drive at dusk/night.
Thanks again,
rufo
Rufo is offline   Reply With Quote