Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Pa Joe

Default spits out coolent

I have a 28 tudor with a rebuilt motor with less than 300 miles on it and a bran new heavy duty radiator. Also a 160deg. thermostat. The engine runs right at 160 deg. If I am sitting in traffic or climbing hills it will creep up to 170 to 180 deg. which is fine. What puzzles me is, it pushes coolent out the overflow tube when I stop. It doesn' do it all the time. Example, I drove it to an Antique car show Sunday 25 miles away on a 90 degree day and when I got there I didn't lose a drop. When I drove it home and parked it, I noticed the next day it pumped out a good bit of coolent on the driveway. This is the fourth time that this happened in the last five days. I bent the tube up and added a short piece of hose hoping that would take care of it. . I noticed that the thermostat (located in the top hose) worked its way up the hose at the radiator end. Could that have something to do with it? I read posts in the past that model As seek there own level. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Pa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor
Default Re: spits out coolent

All mine have a sweet spot where they dont puke out the coolant. maybee you are overfilling it? if i fill mine to the top they get rid of what they dont need...Dave
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Pilotdave

I've seen my '30 Tudor do much the same thing. I first filled the radiator to nearly the neck - it wants to be just below the baffle. I've bent the overflow tube as you have done and installed a 160* thermostat (today) but have almost no driving experience with it in there. My parts store suggested installing it at the radiator end of the upper hose.

One thing to check is how your thermostat is installed in the hose. The open end of the tube to which the thermostat plate is welded should face the lower end of the upper hose.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Smile Re: spits out coolent

The thermostat should be located as close to the head as posible. I bought a platic fitting at Menards and cut the barb portion off (about 1"). Push the barbbed part into the hose from the top until it meets the thermostat. The barbs will "lock" the thermostat from climbing up the hose when it gets hot.

If you buy the double barbbed connector then you can do two thermostats with one part from Menards. No third hose clamp needed with this fitting.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Jason in TX

The original water pump impellers pump too much water into the top tank before it has a chance to flow down through the core.

On the modern radiators, they are more efficient because they have smaller but more tubes than an original radiator. Its like the difference between a regular drinking straw and a coffee straw. As the top tank fills up on an original radiator, it drains out quickly. On the modern radiator, it drains down slowly, or goes out the overflow tube.

Below is the piece of paper that I got with my new leakless water pump explaining that if you have a modern radiator, you need to make the pump less efficient at pumping. I just ground my impellers like the instructions said, and it slowed the puking of water, but it still looses water. I kept having to refill on our 600+ mile tour last week. I'll be grinding more, or drilling some holes to slow it down even more.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump inst.JPG (159.6 KB, 114 views)
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote