Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Landofnone

Default Ballpark on this 1930-31 4dr seden.

I don't know to much about these old gals, But i do know that i have found a couple in better conditions for the same price or less then what the person is asking for. Price is $4000 and she will not do any trades whatsoever.

I really wanted it, and the reason i want it, is so i can learn auto body repair and it would give me something to do instead of siting in the dang house. I have $1400 in trade but again, she will not do any trades.

I suspect that this will sit there for a while. I thought about opening up one of those GofundMe accounts to fund this project of mind. However, i don't feel comfortable in doing such of a thing.

Just a Ballpark price is all i need. I'm thinking about $1500-$2000-2500. I also don't know if it runs, though i am sure it will run.

Landofnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Re: Ballpark on this 1930-31 4dr seden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landofnone View Post
I don't know to much about these old gals, But i do know that i have found a couple in better conditions for the same price or less then what the person is asking for. Price is $4000 and she will not do any trades whatsoever.

I really wanted it, and the reason i want it, is so i can learn auto body repair and it would give me something to do instead of siting in the dang house. I have $1400 in trade but again, she will not do any trades.

I suspect that this will sit there for a while. I thought about opening up one of those GofundMe accounts to fund this project of mind. However, i don't feel comfortable in doing such of a thing.

Just a Ballpark price is all i need. I'm thinking about $1500-$2000-2500. I also don't know if it runs, though i am sure it will run.

Pretty ratty. 2 to 2500. Maybe a little more if she can make then engine run and you either have someone who knows engine sounds. Or you to evaluate..

Body "style" is more valuable than a 2 door sedan.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

How is the wood in the interior and doors? if its shot its $4k for the replacement wood...
Old 07-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
Landofnone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
How is the wood in the interior and doors? if its shot its $4k for the replacement wood...
I believe it is pretty much nonexistent by looking at the photos here and references off of google.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Mike Peters

Go back in a year and offer 2k tops.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Landofnone

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Go back in a year and offer 2k tops.
You think it be still savable by then.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

It would be the ideal project for you to restore, because to pay for the wood kit, upholstery kit, and paint would be more than I've seen some decent ones sell for. The metal on this one looks pretty good, but bring her some proof of what those 3 expensive items will cost, and hope she lowers the price for you. Otherwise I'd save up for a car that doesn't need at least the wood and upholstery kits.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
You think it be still savable by then.
Right, that car will go downhill fast if she doesn't get it under cover.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
WHN

This could make a very nice car.

I would be in the $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 range. Hopefully on the lower side.

You will end up having a lot of money in it even if you can do most of the labor.

Good luck. It's nice to save an old car.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #10
Landofnone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
It would be the ideal project for you to restore, because to pay for the wood kit, upholstery kit, and paint would be more than I've seen some decent ones sell for. The metal on this one looks pretty good, but bring her some proof of what those 3 expensive items will cost, and hope she lowers the price for you. Otherwise I'd save up for a car that doesn't need at least the wood and upholstery kits.
Though not a Ford, it is a 1950 Dodge Pilot house one and half dually that i was looking forward in getting. But the price is at $4500 and the person will not come down on the price or trade.

I believe he is selling the Truck at the cost of what he put back into it. I can leave a link to the Craigslist post if y'all want to take a look. As my internet is slowing down to upload photos. Just let me know.

Thank you all for the information that y'all have given me.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
Landofnone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
This could make a very nice car.

I would be in the $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 range. Hopefully on the lower side.

You will end up having a lot of money in it even if you can do most of the labor.

Good luck. It's nice to save an old car.
I have a super big passion for old cars, but no money. haha

But yeah, I would be doing the body work. if the the frame is in need of repairs, such as cracks, rust rot, bent spots, then it will be going to a professional welder and frame straighter. As i don't trust my welds to be going anywhere near the main structural part of a vehicle such as the frame.

If the sellers were cyclist and fans of the recumbent bicycles, I like to believe, i would have a project already. Sadly that is not the case.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
Dick Carne

Its been a while since I have seen an original fordor with all around good sheet metal (that has not been played with or restored) for that amount of money. While it is true that wood kits are expensive, I don't believe that the numbers are all that far off. Any relatively complete running gear these days will run between $1500 and $2500, depending on what part of the country you're in, and whether the engine will fire off or not. A nice radiator shell and accompanying stainless would sell easily for $100 - $300. A good original hood and fenders are another $1000 or so, and then the gas tank ($100-$250); and the additional price of relatively good body sheet metal will put you somewhere in the ball park. I will grant that I paid too much for the '29 fordor that I completed a couple of years back. I started with something just over $4K in the car, and then had to re-do almost all of of the wood, went with all new sheet metal: fenders, aprons, running boards, and hood, and then changed cowl sections to transition the car from a standard model to a town sedan ... but I'm also well pleased with the finished product (almost ten years in the restoration - no shortcuts), and I still feel as though the price I paid was worth the cost to get a good restorable car. Those who have indicated that there are other cars in better condition for something maybe only slightly more than this one is currently being offered for, may well be correct (but I rather suspect that you would need to roughly double your original investment), and part of your decision should center on what your time frame is and how much you might be willing to do yourself versus hiring out to someone else. As an investment, you will probably never get a full return on your "investment" regardless of what car you start with. But the real value in any hobby is the enjoyment you derive from it. So if you are looking for a project to learn with/on, and then have something to enjoy the next phase by having a nice car to drive, this might be a good choice. One final word of caution that I might add, is that depending on how long you might take to complete your "project" (whatever selection you might make), you might find it of interest to keep the car to where it could be driven within a fairly short time period - I know of several folks who have had great intentions, but lost interest in competing the final project because of either an extreme time delay, or were discouraged because of the amount of the investment required to complete the car to their perceived standards. If you only have this one car and not another driver, this could present a possible concern once you were underway with your restoration. Good luck to you with whatever decision you make.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #13
Kevin in NJ

Do I understand right that you do not have the cash to buy this car for $4000 or $2000? If you do not have that kind of spare cash then maybe you should not be getting into the old car hobby. It is really not a poor mans hobby.

Do you have an understanding of how much in tools and parts it takes to make this car a decent safe to drive car? If you have trouble scraping up the $4000 what about the couple thou in paint things. The few thou for proper body work equipment. A cheap interior is like $6k. A proper engine rebuild is like $7000.

If it needs wood thats another few thousand plus wood working tools.

As for learning body work you do not need to start with a car. Go to you tube or smartflix and watch the masters make panels and weld them together. You will also find some ideas and links on my website. I taught myself enough to be able to make the panels from scratch and weld them in and they are hard to tell I put them in place from both sides.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #14
SteveB31

It is a good buy at $4K. If it was where we live (Colorado), it would have sold 5 times already. It is a huge project that will likely in the end cost $20K, but it will keep you busy.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #15
Landofnone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Do I understand right that you do not have the cash to buy this car for $4000 or $2000? If you do not have that kind of spare cash then maybe you should not be getting into the old car hobby. It is really not a poor mans hobby.

Do you have an understanding of how much in tools and parts it takes to make this car a decent safe to drive car? If you have trouble scraping up the $4000 what about the couple thou in paint things. The few thou for proper body work equipment. A cheap interior is like $6k. A proper engine rebuild is like $7000.

If it needs wood thats another few thousand plus wood working tools.

As for learning body work you do not need to start with a car. Go to you tube or smartflix and watch the masters make panels and weld them together. You will also find some ideas and links on my website. I taught myself enough to be able to make the panels from scratch and weld them in and they are hard to tell I put them in place from both sides.
Kevin, you are entirely right. I should drop the interest and find something else to do.

Thank you.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I really wanted it, and the reason I want it is so I can learn auto body repair and it would give me something to do instead of sitting in the dang house. I have $1400 in trade but again, she will not do any trades.
OK, If the real reason is to learn on and we know sheet metal work is not a skill that comes naturally may I suggest going to the owner the nearest collision shop tell him what you want to do and picking up a smashed fender or hood from them and use it to practice on.

This is not meant to insult you so please don't take it that way. You can practice hammer and dolly work, cutting out a piece and re-welding it back in. Painting etc can be done on these free or almost free parts. You may even get a piece of good advice from the owner of the shop.

You can gain all those skills on the cheap and after a few parts rebuilt then take on a project like this one you have presented.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #17
burner31

That's a '30
That one is in rougher shape than my '31 when I got it.
I paid $3500 and put another 3K into it just to get it running down the road.
Just to give you a ballpark at what you are looking at.
I still have no interior or paint.
Looks like you are going to need everything, don't be in a rush, good deals and good cars can still be had out there, take your time, the right car will come along.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #18
burner31

Don't be fooled by last pick, that's all primer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get-attachment (4).jpg (49.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IM007121.JPG (78.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg July 2017.jpg (130.1 KB, 70 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #19
Marshall V. Daut

There is one plus: it's a Town Sedan, not a Standard Fordor. That does add some value in my estimation.
Someone hit the nail on the head in an earlier posting: the three big killers in cost (besides the chassis restoration) will be the wood replacement, the interior and the paint. Because it's a 1930, the paint job will be expensive due to the extra massive masking steps required when painting the window reveals, all SIX of them. For anyone who hasn't done a paint job on such as body style, it takes a LOT of extra time and effort to do this! A body shop will for sure soak you for these extra steps. And putting in a complete wood kit writes easily when typing it, but will be a real P.I.T.A. to actually do. You won't believe how much wood is in a non-slant windshield Sedan! The Cabriolet I re-wooded was enough for me. I can't even imagine doing a sedan. And the interior? Easily $4000 just in purchasing it, plus several frustrating days installing it, following the manufacturer's typically illegible and non-logical instructions. Fun and games!!!
I agree with the $1500 to $2000 range, given the many shortcomings this car exhibits and what will need to be done. To ease your conscience, offer the owner $2000 and tell her to stop watching Barret-Jackson auctions and TV shows that redo a car in 30 minutes. She is not getting a true picture of reality by judging the value of her car using such shows as a guide.
Marshall
1929 Murray Town Seadn

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-28-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #20
SeaSlugs

brakes to be redone is another 1K and by looking at the battery and mount on the fender my guess this car is long overdue on a complete rebuild of the driveline, steering, brakes...

Were not trying to discourage you Landofnone from buying it but want you to be well informed restoring the car safely is not going to be cheap and should be done right.