Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Steves46

Default Fog Lights

For years I have had a set of Ford 6-volt fog lights on my 46 coupe for looks and would like to now wire them up for use. Although I don't think it will, I am wondering if running them (when needed) in conjunction with my headlights will tax my generator? Additionally since I am not using my heater, I thought about using my 4-way heater switch to power them up. Appreciate anyone's input. Steve
Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Fog Lights

To be in compliance with most state laws, fog lights/aux lighting, most be hooked up so the power supply comes through the headlight system, which means the HL's must be on in order for the fog/aux lighting to come on..
On a six volt system, the low power supply, large wire, requires that the power source for the fog/aux be supplied via a light relay.. The light relay supplies full voltage, however, it does not drain the system because the relay is supplying the voltage... the switch is only energizing the relay.
A heater switch would not be appropriate for this application... You would need a 20amp single throw switch.
The 6v power supply for horns, headlights, fog/aux, etc., is usually derived via relays. A 6v generator will be overly-taxed trying to supply voltage for aux lighting, especially in city driving..

Last edited by blucar; 10-11-2012 at 07:50 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Relays were generally only used for high draw accessory circuits like horns where you needed as small a wire as possible to run up into the steering collumn but also needed a large wire conductor to carry the current to the accessory. There were not all that many relays used for continuous operating circuits. Relays draw current too.

The 35 amp systems were at or near 75% draw when all the lights were on continuously. When you add accessory lighting you push it very close to the 100% level but not over it. If you drive at night a lot and use the accessory lighting too, then you might expect to do more electrical system maintenance for the generator & battery. If you add more accessories, then your over the night time limits and will expect to see the lights growing more dim as you drive.

I'm not sure how FoMoCo wired these accessory lights but I think I would wire them as a seperate circuit with its own circuit protection (fuse). It could get its power from the headlamp switch power terminal but it could just as easilly get it straight from the buss.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-11-2012 at 09:24 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
40cpe

I don't know your purpose for wanting them to burn, if they are yellow or clear lens, or if they are bulb and socket or sealed beam.

You are blessed with parking lights for parking and signals, but I used some thirties vintage bulb and socket Unity lights and replaced the sockets with the type that hold 1157 bulbs for park/signal lights. They will light up nicely, but not use the current of a full driving/fog light.

Last edited by 40cpe; 05-25-2014 at 09:20 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Steves46

The fog lights are sealed beam and the more I ponder on this, I don't think I am going to mess with it. My headlights are hooked into a relay and are considerably brighter. Will you be at the Moonshine Festival? Steve
Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Django

I run 12 volts and an alternator, but I run my headlights and single foglight together on the same switch. It's mildly annoying I would think to the other drivers at night, but in Chicago traffic at night, I'd rather they know where I am than not.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
Will you be at the Moonshine Festival? Steve
If the Good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise, we'll be there. I just took the '40 off the jack stands this morning after servicing/checking it over.

I hope to see you there.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Pete

Since you are giving up on the project, I won't elaborate on my solution.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
If the Good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise, we'll be there. I just took the '40 off the jack stands this morning after servicing/checking it over.

I hope to see you there.
If you'd like to go on the "Barner’s” driving tour on Friday, email me and I give you my cell phone #. We're meeting at the Old Sautee Store in Sautee, driving to Helen for breakfast. I'm trying to set up a tour of a restoration shop in Cleveland. Hope you can make to tour. My email is: [email protected]. Vic