Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2024, 09:18 AM   #1
Scott52

Default Chrome Shops Northern CA

I have some bumpers to re-chrome for my 52 Crestline. The area swap meets always have several Chrome Shops that will take your bumpers and have them available at the next swap meet. Anyone use any of these shops? Who's good who to avoid. This will not be a ground up restoration so want a good job but doesn't have to be show quality.
Scott52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:00 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: Chrome Shops Northern CA

Don't know about NoCal but stay away from Bumperboyz. JMO

http://www.bumperboyz.com/

But if you do find someone I'd be interested in who you decide to go with. Down the road I'll need both bumpers and the grille redone for my -54 Ranch Wagon.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:52 PM   #3
Newc

There are three or four shops that travel the West Coast events, Scheduled to the Feb 18th Washington Early Bird Swap. Possible Mexican work, but nice. I use them. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:18 AM   #4
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott52 View Post
I have some bumpers to re-chrome for my 52 Crestline. The area swap meets always have several Chrome Shops that will take your bumpers and have them available at the next swap meet. Anyone use any of these shops? Who's good who to avoid. This will not be a ground up restoration so want a good job but doesn't have to be show quality.
Sherms Plating in Sacramento, but hang onto your wallet. You may even need a bank loan. Supposedly there is a chromer in the Reno area, so you might do a search on that. I do know that those shops that come to the swap meets do a reasonably decent job. You might also check out Hayward Plating in Hayward, Ca. Not sure of their prices. The California EPA has chased most of them out of business.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:42 PM   #5
wga

Used these guys for C10 truck bumpers years ago, prices seemed reasonable at the time.
Sherms does awesome work, especially on small pieces, and they do not lose your parts.

https://www.atbumpers.com/
Old 02-09-2024, 02:47 PM   #6
Scott52

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Newc, If you go to that swap meet, pick up some business cards to any that you remember doing work for you and PM me. I will probably be going to a Good Guys in March and talk to the guys there.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:53 PM   #7
Scott52

I hear you on the reduction in places and the increased costs. An out of business shop in San Jose has posted on craigslist or facebook a 1952 bumper for $100 that is ready for plating that they have in their inventory. My pumpers don't need to be straightened and I will ask plater if there is a difference in cost if they don't have to strip. I am prone to impulse buying when I see something I might need. Trying to resist.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:00 PM   #8
Scott52

Here's the card of the shop the car seller gave me. He was near Sacramento and was a car guy. Probably one of the swap me shops that brings your parts to LA then Mexico.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3661.jpg (53.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-09-2024, 06:23 PM   #9
GoJoMoJo

I’ve used Ron at Elite custom metal polishing.

921 E vine st unit B Lodi
+1 (209) 712-8309

He repaired, filled 7 holes and re-chromed a scout bumper for me. I believe a family member owns the chrome plating business he uses.

Pretty reasonable on the price and nice work.

The only draw back I can say is he won’t have it back when he originally quotes a timeframe, like most chrome shops. Some of the delays are probably out of his control but if you go into it knowing this I believe you’ll be satisfied with the work. Things may have changed also, this was post Covid.
GoJoMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:55 PM   #10
Krylon32

The chrome thing is a mess. You can't afford most of them and a high price doesn't always mean a quality job. EPA & OSHA have wreaked havoc on the chrome industry. During my 40+ years in the chassis business i cringed when a customer ordered chrome suspension. Fortunately my primary supplier of chrome suspension parts was P&J's who because of high volume were able to provide quality chromed parts at a competitive price. I still try to buy as many parts as possible plated. Also the availability of quality suspension parts in polished stainless has helped. I refuse to participate in the chrome business it is out of my price range. Also using much more powder paint.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote