Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2024, 03:16 PM   #1
JaySilva

Question Can anyone help me to identify the origin of this oil bath air cleaner

Hello all this is my first post thank you for accepting me.
I picked this oil bath air cleaner up from an estate sale along with many other parts and a parts car. I've researched but can't find many like it. I've only been able to locate two that are similar and they are both dated 37'-42'. Is this correct? Also I wanted to get some opinions on rather to leave it as it is or restore it. If it wouldn't be blasphemy to destroy the beautiful patina lol and go ahead and restore it does anyone have any information or photographs to aid in the restoration? Was there originally a service decal? If so where is the correct placement and would anyone have a reference on where to acquire the correct decal or decals? I love the look as is but with no extensive rust,dents,or damage I'm conflicted.
Thank you so much for letting me be a part of your community. Its giving me a chance to ask questions and learn from such a knowledgeable group of great people about an icon that I've always been fascinated with but don't know much about, I can't thank you enough I really appreciate the opportunity to post this here. I really feel like I'm in the right place. Thank you so much in advance for taking your time and sharing your knowledge with a newbie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20240209_193140334.jpg (53.4 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240209_193148501.jpg (61.8 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240209_193215072.jpg (71.1 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240209_193330984.jpg (50.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240209_193344828.jpg (63.6 KB, 228 views)
JaySilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:26 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Can anyone help me to identify the origin of this oil bath air cleaner

Looks kinda Chevrolet-ish to me, Whats the carb opening size?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:27 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Can anyone help me to identify the origin of this oil bath air cleaner

First of all welcome. Second, flattery will get you nowhere.

Okay now to be serious, it's a dry element air cleaner usually found on the "standard" models. It really could use a good cleaning and paint. It's not a rare item so refinishing it won't hurt.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:20 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySilva View Post
Hello all this is my first post thank you for accepting me.
I picked this oil bath air cleaner up from an estate sale along with many other parts and a parts car. I've researched but can't find many like it. I've only been able to locate two that are similar and they are both dated 37'-42'. Is this correct? Also I wanted to get some opinions on rather to leave it as it is or restore it. If it wouldn't be blasphemy to destroy the beautiful patina lol and go ahead and restore it does anyone have any information or photographs to aid in the restoration? Was there originally a service decal? If so where is the correct placement and would anyone have a reference on where to acquire the correct decal or decals? I love the look as is but with no extensive rust,dents,or damage I'm conflicted.
Thank you so much for letting me be a part of your community. Its giving me a chance to ask questions and learn from such a knowledgeable group of great people about an icon that I've always been fascinated with but don't know much about, I can't thank you enough I really appreciate the opportunity to post this here. I really feel like I'm in the right place. Thank you so much in advance for taking your time and sharing your knowledge with a newbie.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:45 PM   #5
39portlander

[QUOTE=Seth Swoboda;2290032]Second, flattery will get you nowhere. LOL

Yes Jay welcome to Fordbarn lots of good folks on here and that one looks like the one on my 39 peeekup.

Now that being said, the 59AB and related components getting my particular Flathead down the road are extremely fuctional but.....may not be "correct", viewer discretion maybe advised.

Last edited by 39portlander; 02-09-2024 at 07:55 PM.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:25 PM   #6
JayChicago

Welcome Jay, from another Jay. Please add your location to your profile. Your location matters sometimes. Sorry, I can't help with your air cleaner question.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:54 PM   #7
JaySilva

Thank you for the warm welcome and i will keep the flattering to a minimum lol. Thank you everyone for your input. The carb opening measures right under 2 1/2" OD. It being a dry element implies it's not an oil bath? Its was equipped on standard models. What differences were there with higher end models air cleaner? Am i correct about the year? Thank you for the help with the pictures. I am in DFW and am going to go figure out how to add my location.
JaySilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:33 AM   #8
deuce lover

To be for a Ford it has to be 2 5/8" opening.Fords will have a part number stamped on the underside near the carb opening.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 09:56 AM   #9
pistonbroke

I no longer have the car but it looks identical to the one on the 48 Pontiac six I used to drive. I hope you enjoy your time here on the barn, Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:25 AM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
To be for a Ford it has to be 2 5/8" opening.Fords will have a part number stamped on the underside near the carb opening.
This advice is spot on. All cleaners supplied to Ford had the part number stamped in the bottom of the body.
Also, these dry type cleaners were installed on ALL models of Fords, not simply the so called "standard" models.
An oil bath cleaner was optional on all models.

The Oakes, Industrial Wire Cloth Products, and Burgess Battery designs had the filter element held between two zinc plated square weave metal screens (hardware cloth).
The AC design (91A-9600-A1) had its part number stamped into the bottom as well as “Made in U.S.A.”, “AC”, and “Pat pending”. Differing from the other designs, its filter element was held between two raven black screens having staggered round holes. The Oakes design (91A-9600-A2) had its part number stamped into the bottom as well as “OP”.
The Industrial Wire Cloth Products design (91A-9600-A3) was nearly identical to the Oakes design. The part number was stamped into the bottom. The Burgess Battery design (78-9600-A) had its part number stamped into the bottom as well as “PAT. APP’D FOR U.S. AND OTHER COUNTRIES”.

I have attached a photo of two of the three supplied to Ford for the '39 - '40 models. Perhaps '41 as well. Of that I am not certain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air filter.jpg (37.5 KB, 31 views)