Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Vonn Ditch

Default Installing a 40 convertible top

I talked to Lebaron Bonney last week about ordering their convertible top for a 1940 convertible, and installing it myself. I'll admit, they made me feel most comfortable that this was something I could do with good results at home in my garage. That being said, these guys are experts, and I've never done one. I've done all other phases of restoration except a top.

I'm looking for suggestions from those that have done this job and maybe some encouragement, or not, on if I should tackle this or take it to a shop. I'm at a stage in my life that I hate to shop anything out because of ridiculous lead times and poor workmanship.
Thanks
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
39topless

Thumbs up Re: Installing a 40 convertible top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonn Ditch View Post
I'm at a stage in my life that I hate to shop anything out because of ridiculous lead times and poor workmanship.
Thanks
I think you answered your own question. Go for it.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Installing a 40 convertible top

I have never gone one in these years, but have done FOX mustanges. Some of it is easy and other parts not so much. Guess I would have to say they came out OK, but far from perfect. So, may depend on how picky you are about the final results. I'm fairly sure you can do it yourself, but I would guess you would also be able to tell a difference in the final result vs a professional install.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
roadster36
BANNED

I have done 4 tops from LB. After taking one of my projects to a local guy who was supposed to be top notch and watching what he did, and encouragment from "TJ" on here on the Fordbarn I decided to take it on myself.
LB's instructions are very detailed and complete. If you go slow and ask questions if you have an issue you should have good results. My first one was decent and they got better as I developed more skill. You cannot rush the job and need to check your work often.
I say give it a try.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #5

I did my '34 roadster with a top from LB. It's the only one I ever did and it turned out alright. Your 1940 will be a little more challenging but as roadster36 says take your time and ask questions if you run into problems. I'm sure you'll do fine and will be pleased with the results. Good luck with it!
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Kube

The '40 top LB sells is pretty nice as are their instructions. You can do this if you have fairly good "mechanical" skills. My advice is to take it very slow and think it through prior to starting the installation.
I would also strongly suggest you have LB leave the snaps OUT of the material so you may install them exactly where needed. You will be sorely disappointed if the female snaps do not match the location of your body male snaps.
There are many "tricks" do installing a top with beautiful results. If you do decide to tackle this task, I will help you though it as needed.
Mike Kubarth
Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
flatmotor40

On my LB top you better be careful not to pull too tight at first for it will change your door opening.You can pull the first pads too tight and you can't shut the door.That is the only problem I had.But I got the whole leather kit from them and had them change the color of the top to match the interior.Just me but fine stuff
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:34 AM   #8
flathead48

I put 3 on my 48, forget the tacks especially if you are working alone. Buy yourself a good air operated staple gun that will shoot 1/4 to 1/2 inch staples and at least 3/8 crown. L B no longer puts the snaps in the canvas so you will have to do it yourself . I bought a hand held fastener at Jo Ann's fabric store, the 2 piece gadget they give you with the kit is worthless. I let the canvas lay out on the frame for a couple of days to get some of the wrinkles out of it. Stretch it out good before you tack or cut. Good luck
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
Vonn Ditch

Thanks All for some great advice. I'm gonna give it a shot!
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote