Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2024, 02:33 AM   #1
Grumpy Rick

Default '56 Ford Fairlane Vickie PS question

I have had a '56 Ford Fairlane for about 20 years now, and have always wondered about the power steering setup.

It was a frame off restoration in 1991, and at that time it was converted to a 302 motor/trans from a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has the stock EFI, and AOD trans, with a 4:10 9" Posi rear.

The power steering is a newer style box with the hoses going to the box, and no hydraulic stuff underneath. I don't know when Borgeson came out with their kit, but I suspect it was after 1991??

I have always assumed it is the setup out of the '86 Mercury, but really have no idea.

Anyone know how I could tell if it is? If it is, why would Borgeson go to the trouble?

Thanks in advance.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:10 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: '56 Ford Fairlane Vickie PS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post

I have had a '56 Ford Fairlane for about 20 years now, and have always wondered about the power steering setup.

It was a frame off restoration in 1991, and at that time it was converted to a 302 motor/trans from a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has the stock EFI, and AOD trans, with a 4:10 9" Posi rear.

The power steering is a newer style box with the hoses going to the box, and no hydraulic stuff underneath. I don't know when Borgeson came out with their kit, but I suspect it was after 1991??

I have always assumed it is the setup out of the '86 Mercury, but really have no idea.

Anyone know how I could tell if it is? If it is, why would Borgeson go to the trouble?

Thanks in advance.
You know, this is one thing that has always bothered me, modifying a car and not documenting it with a spec/build sheet so any future buyer will not be caught in this situation.

The drive-line I understand (at least it was not a SBC). A steering upgrade possibly. I imagine it also has GM disc brakes on it also?

Can you take close-up photos of the install? Do you see any tags, stampings or casting ID info?

I imagine the pump is either a SAGINAW or CII. Need photos of the pump also.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:10 PM   #3
Grumpy Rick

Default Re: '56 Ford Fairlane Vickie PS question

Thanks, I will try to find some numbers, and get someone to help me post pics.

I can answer two things, the brakes are T-Bird rotors, and a kit I put on after acquiring the car. They work fine. Also, it looks like the original steering column was used, which to too bad, since the detents are one short for the AOD.

This may take a few days since I am swamped right now.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:31 AM   #4
Abe Lugo

For the AOD detent you can either pull the detent plate and cut a bit of a hole further for the detent to stick or make another plate.

As far as the box maybe shoot some pics of it and people here might be able to ID it.
Abe Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 02:48 PM   #5
KULTULZ

There is a way around the range indicator and I forgot it. Another member (JWAWhite ?) here has a 56 5.0L/AOD changeover and I forget how he went about it.
Old 01-06-2024, 03:13 PM   #6
miker98038

I’ve done several 2 or 3 speed autos to 4 speed o/d units. With a bit of fiddling the shifters worked except for 1st gear. I never found it a problem as I rarely lock an auto in low gear.

But as mentioned above, you can often do it on the detent plate.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:00 AM   #7
Grumpy Rick

I hope to get it on a lift tomorrow, but today I looked under the hood and the steering box is a Saginaw 605.. As I remember that is the box used in Chevy conversions?

I am starting to wonder if the front frame clip might have been used from the '86 Merc? Hope to find out tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:51 PM   #8
miker98038

Those 605 boxes are used in a lot of conversions, mainly because they’re small and inexpensive. That doesn’t mean they’re bad, but more likely to be replaced than rebuilt. Looking at the Borgenson site for a 56 Ford, I think they’re using one of the larger series, maybe an 800? But I’m far from an expert to ID a GM box.

If it’s working and driving ok, I wouldn’t worry about it.

As a note of caution. If you go down the road of a new column to get the detent for the AOD, stay away from the cheap off shore columns. I saw one of those fail backing out the the garage the first time. It was a 600hp car, would have been a real problem on the road.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 03:38 AM   #9
Grumpy Rick

OK, I got the car on the lift today and looked it over. //The steering box has a big embossed S on it, which I suspect means Saginaw, and the only numbers I can find on it are 605 in big cast print right on the top of the box.

Underneath, the steering box is bolted right to the frame (which is the original '56) and it looks like the frame may have at least one new hole drilled in it, but hard to tell. I see no obvious adaptor pieces, and it looks pretty much factory. The column shaft goes directly into the box, with no U-joint or rag joint visible.

The PS pump is plastic bodied, and on a serpentine belt, but I see no ID on it. The system has always worked fine with one exception. The pump always makes a bit of a hiss when steering. It sounds like the relief valve is too weak and opens enough that it can be heard. Always wondered if the pump and box don't quite match up.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It only took me 20 years to check out what I had been wondering about. That's about how long I have been slowing down, I suppose.

Oh yeah, Kultulz, about the disc brakes. I put them on when I first got the car 20 years ago. It was a kit from a guy at the Long Beach swap meet, and it used rotors and calipers from a 60 something T-Bird. Went on pretty good except for the new power master cylinder, which I had a friend make an aluminum spacer for the cowl mounting point. I looked at them today and the calipers are branded Ford, no GM parts that I know of. I have the paperwork somewhere if you need to know more.

Thanks again
Old 01-09-2024, 05:47 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: '56 Ford Fairlane Vickie PS question

I suspect it is an early GEARHEADS CONVERSION.

Magazine article here (2004) - https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/19...-steering-kit/

If the pump reservoir is round and plastic, it should be the CII pump that came on the donor engine. All FORD pumps made a hissing sound.

Quote:
I put them on when I first got the car 20 years ago. It was a kit from a guy at the Long Beach swap meet, and it used rotors and calipers from a 60 something T-Bird. Went on pretty good except for the new power master cylinder, which I had a friend make an aluminum spacer for the cowl mounting point. I looked at them today and the calipers are branded Ford...
Did you notice if they were an opposing four piston design? They had to have a special conversion bracket to mount to earlier spindles. If so you got the good stuff.

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-09-2024 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:17 PM   #11
Grumpy Rick

Now that you mention spindles, I thought it was unimportant, so didn't mention the spindles were replaced at the same time by 2" dropped spindles...so, I have no idea if they were original style or not. Actually I never knew there was a difference until today reading the other thread on brakes.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:26 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Question Re: '56 Ford Fairlane Vickie PS question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post

Now that you mention spindles, I thought it was unimportant, so didn't mention the spindles were replaced at the same time by 2" dropped spindles...so, I have no idea if they were original style or not. Actually I never knew there was a difference until today reading the other thread on brakes.
... hmmpf ...

I wonder if it got the GRANADA SPINDLE? But you say it got late BIRD rotors (possibly 12" KELSEY-HAYES)?

Interesting ...

If you ever have a wheel off, please take a photo. I am curious now.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:02 PM   #13
Grumpy Rick

OK, but it might be a while. I had no idea it was this involved. Lucky for me the brakes work just fine as is.

Thanks