Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
sapple89

Default Engine dies after 30 seconds

I went to turn on the '31 and the motor runs for about 10 seconds (if im lucky) then dies out. I pulled the fuel filter and found that it was clogged. After cleaning it out and replacing the filter the motor would fire up for about 30 seconds then die out.

Any ideas?

P.S. I just bought this car a few weeks ago and am learning how things work as I go. Can someone recommend what I should check/replace after buying your first model A.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
fordcoupe

Default Re: Engine dies after 30 seconds

If you check your entire fuel system and find good fuel flo and still have the problum try this Had the same thing with my 28 truck after i first started it up it would only run several seconds called my mentor explaned my problum told me to drop muffler and try to start i did it and it started right up than i swapped ex. system something blocked a brand new ex. system mouse nest maybe ?

Last edited by fordcoupe; 05-09-2013 at 01:16 AM.
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Fred K-OR

Do you have a lot of crud in your gas tank? Do you have all three filters in your fuel system? Sounds like it is not getting fuel.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
1crosscut

Wink Re: Engine dies after 30 seconds

Crud in your carb float hinge not allowing the float to drop down far enough to keep fuel flowing into the bowl fast enough? If you can restart it by waiting a bit after it dies I'm thinking fuel flow too. You can always use the old stand by of tapping on the side of the carburator bowl with a crescent wrench to loosen up the float to get it to drop. Works on my Allis Chalmer.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
MBI Houston

You may have a clogged air vent in the gas cap. Several people on the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour are having this problem. Take the cap off and see if the car continues to run. If so, you need to drill out the hole next to the center rivet being careful not to drill through the top of the gas cap. You could also just tighten the cap enough until it won't fall off while you wait for a new cap to arrive from you favorite parts house.
MBI Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Phil

Probably crud in the fuel valve. Shut fuel off remove sediment bowl. Clean screen and reinstall sediment bowl loosely (so air can escape) turn fuel valve on, it should fill sediment bowl in 2 or 3 seconds. If takes more time remove the fuel valve from the tank clean the crud in the valve and install a pencil filter.button every thing all should be well.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
sapple89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Probably crud in the fuel valve. Shut fuel off remove sediment bowl. Clean screen and reinstall sediment bowl loosely (so air can escape) turn fuel valve on, it should fill sediment bowl in 2 or 3 seconds. If takes more time remove the fuel valve from the tank clean the crud in the valve and install a pencil filter.button every thing all should be well.

THe fuel valve was blocked by sediment. Does anyone have a part number for a pencil filter?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapple89 View Post
THe fuel valve was blocked by sediment. Does anyone have a part number for a pencil filter?
Most vendors carry this item. Bratton's number is 13280. But you may want to think about cleaning your gas tank.

But you have to have an understanding wife to do it in the middle of her kitchen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3872a.jpg (56.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 05-09-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I went to turn on the '31 and the motor runs for about 10 seconds (if im lucky) then dies out. I pulled the fuel filter and found that it was clogged. After cleaning it out and replacing the filter the motor would fire up for about 30 seconds then die out.

Any ideas?

Still more crud in the system!
Clean the whole thing. You have the filer on the tank and filter in the carb. You more than likly have crud on the valve and in the bowl.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Plugged filter runs 10 seconds.
New filter runs 30 seconds.
Sounds like the filter is still too restrictive for gravity feed. Remove the filter and try it. The shutoff valve filter is a must IMHO.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Phil

Quote:
Glad you found your problem! The pencil filter does 2 things keeps the crud from packing down in side the 90* turn and raises the level of the fuel draining from the tank (letting sediment settle to the bottom of the tank). IT WILl Solve THE PROBLEM! While the Valve is out flush the tank with gas filtered through paint filters both going in and coming out. (The kind you get with automotive paint, look like paper funnels with fine mesh.free where you buy automotive paint.)

Bet you don't get much crud. Then install the tank filter. Should be good to go.

It is a cheap easy fix and works almost every time.

Send me a pm if you have any questions.

And keep us posted.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote