Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Dave Jones

Default Flathead V8 tuning

I am new to the old cars and need some help. I have a 41 sedan super deluxe that needs a bit tuning. it tends to pop and backfire a bit when getting into the throttle. Seems to be a lean condition. Has a little flutter also so I figure possible point or timing issues as well. It runs very smooth at idle. Just wondering if there are any publications that I could scan through to get my knowlege on?

I have been a mechanic most of my life and can usualy figure things out but the distributor caps and point set up look to be a little tricky. Looks as if there are two fuel mixture screws on the back of the carb. I saw a reference to a propane test to set up the fuel mixture which looked pretty interesting.

Any help or guidience y'all can offer will be greatly appreciated

Dave
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: Flathead V8 tuning

Here's a start: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...48_221-239.htm

Here's another great resource for all things flathead: http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/flathead.htm

If you want a book to have and to hold this is a good one: http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-fo...0R3CHL1071938/

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-09-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Henry/Kokomo

The distributors aren't as bad as they look. They are serviced on the bench. The '41 distributor - if it's a '41 engine - should come off the block with 3 bolts arranged in a more or less triangular pattern. The distributors are cam driven and only go back in one way. Really hard to put one in wrong. The two screws on the carburetor may well be the idle mixture screws - one for each of the two carburetor barrels.

Lots of knowledgable people on here to help. A picture or two would help a lot. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

Davy call me if you need help over the phone. ken ct. 1-203-260-5945 cell.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Ol' Ron

The first thing you should do is runa compression check to make sure the basic engine in in good working order. A bad valve can drive you nuts.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The first thing you should do is runa compression check to make sure the basic engine in in good working order. A bad valve can drive you nuts.
o/Ron is right. It's suprising how so many people hate to take a comp teat. That'll do everything to an engine except take a comp test. And wonder why it still runs rough. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Dave Jones

Smile Re: Flathead V8 tuning

Thanks for the input guys! I considered I may have a valve seating issue but I have not done a compression test as of yet. I put my had to the exhaust and did not feel any negative pressure. I have no idea what the range should be but I figure if it is nearly the same across the board I may be ok. As I said before it tends to be a bit fluttery as you accelerate. I did a choke test to see if it would improve, mid choke or less seemed to work best. I would say it drives best at lower rpms. So I figure if it is electirical it may be point gap is a bit close or timing is not advancing enough.( Again My first flat head so I may be way off base here.) I did put new plugs in it.

Another small issue is when I hook up the battery it makes a spark so I have a electrical drain to chase down. It will kill the batt over night.

I may be calling you Ken first of the week

Davy
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Old Henry

As you probably already know with your previous experience with engines, you can get a lot of clues just from how a vacuum gauge acts at idle and other speeds. Go to this site, scroll to the bottom, and click the various green buttons to see how the gauge acts under various conditions: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Old Henry

My first suspicion if it idles fine and cruises fine but has problems on acceleration is the carburetor accelerator pump that's not giving the extra squirt when needed to accelerate. Might look down in the carburetor (with the engine off) and deflect the throttle and see if you can see any gas squirting.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
TomO

A weak spark will also cause those symptoms. Check the plugs for correct color and not fouled. The Champion H10C pugs seem to fail with very little carbon deposits.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
Mike in AZ

welcome to the 'Barn, Davy.....i think you might have a fuel problem as has been pointed out.....when you start to acccelerate, not enuf fuel getting into the engine, so probably need a carb rebuild....just my guess....link is to MacVP's website and shows tuneup specs, including compression...Mac's website has a wealth of info about these old cars....good luck....Mike

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...48_221-239.htm
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Dave Jones

I checked the compression today an it was 60-70 across the board.That seems low to me. I saw one chart that said it should be 100. I did the vacuum test an it held pretty steady at 15 inches. I pulled the carb and checked the accelerator pump was stuck and the plunger rubber had popped off. So off to pick up a carb kit tomorrow. One distributor cap was a bit loose so I tightened it up and that improved it a bit.

Thanks for the help guys!

Davy