Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
RedBear

Default 56 ford engine

On the engine wiring harness of a 56 ford car 292/312. The wiring harness runs along top of the firewall. Behind the head on the passangers side 2 wires come out one is red and the other is brown. I am not sure what they go to. They are right behind the dist. and coil so Im sure ones coming from the ing. Going to the coil. Maybe the brown one. But I am not sure,what the red or brown one goes to. They are not the temp sensor,the temp wires come out behing the other head. On the drivers side and hookup to the temp sensor on the drivers head.The car use to have a voltage reducer on it. at the coil. But dont think I need it any longer because Im running a 12 volt coil and later model 12 volt distributor.
Second thing I replace the temp sensor in the head with a mechanical sensor and gauge. But I like to hookup the orginal elec. light temp gauge also.Is there another place in the engine that I can screw it in the block ?
Thanks
RedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
rick55

Default Re: 56 ford engine

The two wires red and brown are the ignition wires. The red wire is from the ignition switch and the brown wire is the feed to the coil from the starter solenoid. The brown wire provides 12 volts to the coil when cranking the engine. Your ignition system is designed to use a ballast resistor and this is why you have two wires near the distributor. If you can imagine the ballast resistor having a +ve and -ve terminal, the red goes to the +ve and the brown connects to the -ve along with the wire going to the distributor.
If you're not using a heater the best place to put a temp gauge sensor is the front of the inlet manifold by the thermostat housing.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
The Master Cylinder

Depending on how large your sending unit is you could put it in the back of the other head by installing the appropriate adapter. That's where I have the thermal switch to operate my electric fan.
Just my 1¢.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
RedBear

So what your saying Rick,is even thought the car has a 12 volt coil and distributor (mallory). It still needs the ballast resistor. Im just asking,I dont know. Also does it have to be a special one? or one from a local auto parts would do.
Yes my heater hose is running into the top of the manifold in front of the carb.
" MasterCylinder" I see what might be a hole on the head,back near the distributor. Looks like a hole with a small freeze plug in it. Do I just pop it out and find threads in it. Or do I have to drill it out and tap it. Its about the same place as the other hole on the other head.
Thanks ! Learning, open for ideas and help.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
rick55

If you are running a full 12volt coil you don't need a ballast resistor but your points will last longer with a ballast resistor and a 12v ballast resistor coil. You may find it easier to start with the ballast installed and wired correctly. Most English cars never went with resistors so the choice is yours.
Regards

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
rick55

Redbear is your Mallory distributor a points or an electronic model? If your dizzy is electronic you may need to check that the coil correctly matches the dizzy.
If you go to the Mallory website it should have listings and instructions for the correct installation.
Regards

Quote:
Henry Ford
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
RedBear

Yes it is a electronic model, So if that is the case. Do I hookup both the Brown wire and the red wire to the coil ? Mallory shows 3 wires coming off of the distributor Red - going to the postive side of the coil
Green-going to the neg. side of the coil
Black- Going to ground

It does not show the other wires,like coming from the key and etc. Just from
the coil to the dist. not before the coil. But the web site did show An internally Ballast resisted coil. Guess I need to get one of those. If that is the case. wiring to the coil is diffrent ? I guees the auto local supply house carrys a internally ballast coil.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
rick55

you dont need to buy an internally ballast resisted coil. Purchase a 12volt coil resistor type if you want to replace your current coil. Your local auto parts store should be able to supply one for you. Get a ballast resistor at the same time and connect it as I mentioned above. To keep using your coil you have now, join the red and the brown together and connect the two wires to the positive terminal of your coil.
I think you will find that Mallory recommend a ballast resistor unless you are using one of their specific coils to suit the distributor.
If you need any more info feel free to ask the question.
Regards

Quote:
Henry Ford