Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
wingski

Default wood?

Were all the open top A bodies basically made of wood with a metal cover? I'm discovering wood and wood screws everywhere as I work on my '29 cabriolet. I'm amazed that an 88 year old car can have as much wood that is still in good shape. It's like finding a treasure that you weren't even looking for, And slotted head screws, hadn't Henry ever heard of a Phillips head screw or weren't they invented yet? What kind of wood did Henry use, and how did they treat it?

I know I could look this stuff up for myself, but it is so much more fun from you guys. Wikipedia has no sense of humor at all.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: wood?

Check out a nekked Fordor...

And no, phillips screws were not around yet. Canada got Robertson screws, which I wish we had. I'm not a big fan of slotted screws.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-23-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot picture...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Up to 1931 (and even then), the A's had a sheet metal covered wood frame.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
Were all the open top A bodies basically made of wood with a metal cover? I'm discovering wood and wood screws everywhere as I work on my '29 cabriolet. I'm amazed that an 88 year old car can have as much wood that is still in good shape. It's like finding a treasure that you weren't even looking for, And slotted head screws, hadn't Henry ever heard of a Phillips head screw or weren't they invented yet? What kind of wood did Henry use, and how did they treat it?

I know I could look this stuff up for myself, but it is so much more fun from you guys. Wikipedia has no sense of humor at all.
Hardwood such as maple, birch, elm, and oak were used in body construction.

Other than being kiln-dried, I do not know if it was treated in any special way othere than being painted.

Not sure if soft wood was used as it would tend to break??? Anyone???

What did Ford do with the wood waste products? Well, that is another very interesting story in its own self and it wasn't just the making of FORD Charcoal!

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 08-20-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post

No, not all open top A bodies were tin on wood. My 28 Phaeton only has wood to hold the upholstery, and the body blocks. Seems FORD built bodies were steel, while the bodies built by outside factories were steel panels on wood.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Hardwood such as maple, birch, elm, and oak were used in body construction.

Other than being kiln-dried, I do not know if it was treated in any special way othere than being painted.

Not sure if soft wood was used as it would tend to break??? Anyone???

What did Ford do with the wood waste products? Well, that is another very interesting story in its own self and it wasn't just the making of FORD Charcoal!

Pluck
I just removed my coupe's original body wood. I didn't see any paint on them but they were coated with a black stinky tar-like substance.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote