Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Inexpensive Sound Deadening

Noise reduction is an important goal in my restoration of a 190A Victoria Coupe. However, automotive materials for this purpose are very expensive and excessively heavy. The following is a less expensive and lighter alternative that should make a significant reduction in road and running gear noise inside of the car..

To reduce the dynamic response of the body panels to road and running gear vibrations, and to dampen airborne sounds I have chosen two inexpensive materials to install before upholstering the car: (1) Roofing shingle; (2) HVAC duct insulation.

Roofing shingle has a significant mass (weight). Cut the shingle into 3" x 6" rectangles (dollar bill size), and stick one in the center of each body panel and door panel (interior side). To assure the rectangle sticks, clean the panel with lacquer thinner, and use a thick dab of construction adhesive such as Liquid Nails.

Once glued to a panel, the mass of the shingle adds to the mass of the panel, so it reduces the panels vibration response (drumming noise) to outside stimulus.

Frost King FV516 Duct Insulation by Thermnwell Products Company Inc is a product that thermally insulates and stops vibrations on HVAC ducts. It is available in the big box home goods stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. FV516 is a sandwich of foil and foam with an adhesive backing, and an R Value of 3. The stock size of one package of FV516 is 12" wide x 1/8" thick x 15' long, and it has a unit retail price of $18.77. Two packages will do my 190A, so three packages should do a Fordor.

Completely line the interior surface area of each body and door panel with the FV516 using dabs of construction adhesive in the corners to keep it in place.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 08-29-2014 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Incomplete text
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Inexpensive Sound Deadening

Paint on Lizard skin is a great sound deadening. www.lizardskin.com
Old 08-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Russell in Tulsa

Bob, I have a roll of black cork tape that is 1/8" X 2", sticky on one side used to stop condensation on refrigerant lines. It can be purchased at any Heat&Air supply house. I think the roll may be 20' to 25'
long. I will sometimes put it on the bottom of stainless steel sinks to stop the tinny noise of water hitting the sink and it only needs a couple of pieces to work. I have also covered the whole bottom of the sink to stop condensation when ice is left in the sink.
Just another product some may wish to try.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Russ B

I use Dynamat Extreme. A year or two ago, I looked on Amazon and found it for about half the usual price. I bought it right away as it was not an everyday price. i do not expect any of the less expensive products are better than Dynamat. ...but I would look for an occasional good price.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Wick

I used the HVAC stuff under the carpet in my Dodge Diesel and it made a difference in less noise.
Wick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
In high school I brushed roofing tar on the inside of the floor of my 55 Chevy, then layed 2 layers of tar paper over it, then jute padding, and finally factory carpet. That was a very quiet car.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #7
40 Deluxe

Tom, did your roofing tar do any good against the Minnesota salt worms?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Tom, did your roofing tar do any good against the Minnesota salt worms?
I've always wondered what became of that car. Never had it long enough to rust away, thought the left side had rust spots from where a salt truck drove past me while slinging salt.
I sold it in 1967 to the brother of the guy I bought my 62 Corvair Spyder from.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #9
Wallace

Thanks for this thread !...it answered my questions. I recently installed a trailer hitch on a Toyota SUV. I had to remove much of the rear interior in order to tie in the wiring. The vehicle had one of the small ( 3X5)? blocks glued to each exposed body panels...Now I know the purpose...Thanks again.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote