Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
dirt t

Default My first A

My son bought two vehicle's and gave me the A. He has the 32 pick up.
I think it's a 28-29 sports coupe. He was told it was a cabriolet. I spent the day on the net and believe it's a sports coupe.
My question is are the parts available to rebuild it? I am not going to try for a restoration as my skill level is lacking. It will be painted 28/29 colors and maybe upholstered. Is the top a convertible but does not fold down ? Are there top bows? Any information would be a great help.
Thank you for your time.
Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140921_094524.jpg (45.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 20140921_094544.jpg (46.5 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 20140921_094617.jpg (29.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 20140921_094631.jpg (34.6 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6899.jpg (83.8 KB, 288 views)
dirt t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: My first A

Actually, a quick look shows what you have to be pretty solid. Missing a few parts (fenders?) but these are available.

But no question you have some work ahead. But - one step at a time.

My suggestion would be to do a "frame off" restoration - actually "body-off." Then you can take each piece at a time as it all goes back together.

But doing a body off you can work fast on the mechanicals - and then deal with the body issues piece by piece afterwards.

Parts ARE available. Either reproduction or actual. You can connect with like minds and it will help you in your quest for parts. Be careful though. Parts tend to attract parts - and there will always be "I hear you're working on a Model A - I happen to have some parts I'm cleaning out of the barn." By all means take these on if for no other reason than to save them from the scrapper.

The nice thing about a Model A is that it can be a work in progress - and nobody seems to mind. You might even attempt to do a "barn fresh" Model A with this as the base. See other discussion threads regarding "barn fresh" Model As.

Good luck!

Joe K
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
newshirt

Check with Bert's in Denver. 800-321-1931. They'll have original and reproduction parts to restore it. Looks like a big job!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
wrndln

Terry,
Your car DOES look to be a 28 or 29 sport coupe. I had a 29 sport coupe I restored on a shoestring when going to college, many, many years ago. I have a suggestion when you decide to restore it or what ever you do - take a lot of pictures and label the parts as you dismantle the car. You really can't have too many pictures. You will really appreciate the pictures when you start to reassemble the car - don't ask me how I know! There are many helpful and knowledgeable people on Fordbarn that can usually answer any questions you have. Good luck with your model A endeaver.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
JohnLaVoy

Welcome! I always recommend joining a local chapter of the Model A Club. You will get local advice and assistance in doing the restoration, along with suggestions as to where and how to locate parts etc.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Gary Karr

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You also have a wonderful source of parts, both new and original right in your back yard at Arizona Model A in Gilbert. Sammy Guthrie will be a wonderful source of help for you. (480) 782-0266
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
DougVieyra

You are quite right Dirt T - it is most definitely a Sport Coupe (top is fixed and does not fold down) and NOT a Cabriolet (whose top fold down), as told to and by your son.

Once again, the wisdom of age trumps the gullibility of youth !

And as for parts suppliers for the Ford Model A, a previous poster gave you Bert's phone number; but you can get quick access to Bert's extensive inventory, on Bert's website - "ModelAstore.com" . Head honco there is Steve, and he can send you a hard copy catalog of many of the parts he carries. What Bert's also has, is a rather extensive (acres and acres - well, perhaps a bit of exaggeration there) of ORIGINAL Ford-made parts.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif - today's high: 59 degrees.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 09-23-2014 at 12:16 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
stewwolfe

Enjoy your restoration. One of the great things about these cars is the availability of parts, and the inherent simplicity of the design and mechanicals. There are certain things that you need a professional for, but you can do the vast majority of the work with hand tools and instructions that are out there. I would suggest getting the Les Andrews Red Book, which is available at any of the Model A parts suppliers. It's not perfect, but it's a pretty good reference on the major systems and how to work on them.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
1930artdeco

Welcome! I assume that per your avatar you have a Model T of some sort. Then, this will be a step up (not knocking the T) but not by much. I have a soft spot for Sport Coupes and they are my favorite of the coupe models. Enjoy her, don't throw anything away, join a local club and when you drive her around town....do so with a big grin.

Mike
Old 09-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
Wallace

Good project to keep you busy... DO NOT throw any part away no matter how damaged or rusty...a fragment may serve as a pattern or allow you to see how an assembly went together. This lesson cost me $200; it's free to you. Best wishes; it looks like fun.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
dirt t

You guys are great!! Thank you for your reply's. Mt first purchase will be the red book.
Again thanks'
Terry
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
bartmcneill

http://www.cabriolet.modelahouse.com/ is a good website to see lots of Model A's of all kinds but for sure cabriolets.
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

Terry,

Welcome to the Barn. You will find a lot of help here as you get into your project.

Just a couple of pictures to show you what is possible. One shows what I started with and the other the end produce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The way it was when I started1.jpg (65.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0224.jpg (71.7 KB, 36 views)
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
dirt t

I think i'll change direction. I found a 28 touring cowl and doors was thinking of making a roadster. Will this cowl and doors fit? I just do not care for a sports coupe.
If nothing else sell coupe and find a roadster. I am open to comments or ass chewing.
I am at that point that this will be my last project.
thank you for your time
Terry aka dirt t