Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
40cpe

Default 8BA timing

Engine is a 276" 8BA about 2500 miles. Heads surfaced and clearanced just to not touching the pistons w/no gasket. L100, hi-flow valves, TDC set with positive stop method, coincides with dot on pulley. I've been running the converted Chevy distributor at about 18 degrees in by 2000 rpm, and 4 degrees vacuum. Rochester 2GV on a bored Mercury manifold. The engine has always bucked, or surged, on deceleration below 1200 rpm. It has always started fluttering above 2500 rpm with no load but runs fine on the road at any RPM. That has always bothered me. Haven't heard any pinging, etc.

Today I was checking things and decided to decrease initial advance some, and the fluttering above 2500 was better, so I backed it off some more and the fluttering went away. Timing now all in at 12 degrees and about -6 degrees initial. It starts as soon as it turns and I wound it to 4500 today on the test run. The bucking on deceleration is gone. I haven't driven it enough to know if running temps are affected.

On top of all that, my rebuilt clutch from Fort Wayne Clutch was smooth when installed, but gradually began to chatter. Now all the chatter is gone.

Has anyone had an engine that wouldn't take any more than 12 degrees total timing? Should it start that quickly at -6 degrees? I was thinking I someway missed on the TDC mark, but it matches the dot. I'm stumped, I hope someone can explain what is going on.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote