Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2023, 09:54 PM   #1
Gold Digger

Question Gland rings

Some people don't use gland rings anymore. I have always tried to use them if I could make them work on a used manifold. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the right depth of counter bore is for the gland ring to fit in on the engine block. Do the rings fit loose in between the manifold and the engine block when tightened or do they crimp, or do they exactly fit? I'm building a new Burtz engine and they're not machined for gland rings. I'm putting a new manifold on and what is everyone's thoughts on machining this into the block to keep from warping it.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:15 AM   #2
Richard Knight

Default Re: Gland rings

They don't crimp unless the groove in the block still has carbon in it. But I know you are wondering about the burtz block. I always try to use the rings. I was a little disappointed that the burtz block was not counter bored for the rings. I seriously considered doing it but in the end let it slide. I also am using a new exhaust manifold with no leaks at this time. As to the rings I just purchased I think they are crap. Too loose because the strip of metal was cut too short before making it round.
Richard Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
Big hammer

Spread the rings at the gap, squeeze the ring when installing, thusly holding in place. If your rings aren’t springy buy new ones ! As for your new block’s not having bores for rings………call Terry at Burtz
Old 01-02-2023, 03:58 PM   #4
BillCNC

In always use them and keep a few sets on hand. They keep the exhaust manifold from sagging from heat over time.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:32 PM   #5
1crosscut

I don't use the gland rings. If my manifold ends up warping because of it, it means I've had many, many miles of fun to make that happen.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:18 PM   #6
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
In always use them and keep a few sets on hand. They keep the exhaust manifold from sagging from heat over time.

Regards
Bill
I don't see how a thin (apparently) mild steel gland ring could possibly keep a heavy cast iron manifold from sagging if everything else is at it should be. IMO after a few heat cycles the gland ring would be useless and like others have stated that they would end in the muffler.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:56 PM   #7
Richard Knight

The gland rings I got are dead soft and too short leave an 1/8" gap, useless. They do help with less than perfect manifold. I don't know about keeping a manifold from sagging but If i can only get the rear one in that is what I would do. I bought an otwell health heater for my 29 Briggs and it fits on the block perfect with all four rings.
Richard Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:25 AM   #8
alexiskai

Whether you think the original purpose of the gland rings was purely to seal the gasket away from the exhaust gases, or also to assist with indexing the manifold on installation, or also to prevent manifold warping, in any of those three cases the rings must be snug to the counterbore, with almost no gap in the ring, in order to be any help.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:23 AM   #9
old31

I found my gland rings in side my exhaust pipe.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:49 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

In operation, the gland rings expand diametrically to fill the counter-bores, so make sure you have a gap when fitting them at room temperature. It has been my experience that the gland ring at the back manifold port has little to no ability to prevent the exhaust manifold from eventually sagging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust Gland Rings 212kb.jpg (69.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-03-2023, 09:26 AM   #11
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
It has been my experience that the gland ring at the back manifold port has little to no ability to prevent the exhaust manifold from eventually sagging.
Yeah, there’s a reason that, when Ford discovered the manifold warp problem in ‘31, they didn’t say “make sure you use those gland rings,” they changed the manifold design.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:46 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The manifold support bolts are only one of the support system holding features. The other is the exhaust pipe clamp in the rear of the system. Ford really should have used another support closer to the manifold. All that pipe & muffler weight has a forward CG moment that hangs a good portion of the total weight off the manifold. It doesn't seem like lot but it's enough to have an affect after many heat up and cool down cycles.

If a person installs the stainless pipe & muffler assembly then it has even more weight hanging on there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote