Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2024, 02:37 PM   #21
petehoovie

Default Re: How far should I go with my '41 flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
As for leaving quarter sized spots on the drive...well, you may have to get a bit used to some of that.
I forgot what the number is, but Ford issued a part number for any leak over a quarter size...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:05 PM   #22
Kurt in NJ

How high on the dipstick are you keeping the oil level?, have you tried a lower level still above “low”
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:31 PM   #23
Zeke3

I would try to resolve any leakage on the bypass filter first to see where that leaves you leakage wise.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:06 AM   #24
fortyonerag

I have a 41 SD convert and going down the path of building a 59 motor for it. The idea of a modest rebuild can become a rabbit hole real quick.

Check out the 1948 movie 'Mr Blandings builds his dream home'.

Just sayin'....
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:22 AM   #25
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinton View Post
It leaves quarter-sized spots up and down the drive when I've pulled in or out and I put a pan under it to catch the drips. I am PRETTY SURE [emphasis added] the seal is leaking (the head gaskets were just replaced). There are also leaks from the bypass filter canister too and it's tough to quantify how much coming from where.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If the car really "runs nice", I'd replace the seal and leave the rest alone. I might not even replace the seal. You don't know what you might run into if you decide to open it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
I would try to resolve any leakage on the bypass filter first to see where that leaves you leakage wise.

I'm with these guys. If you're only "pretty sure" the seal is leaking .... and "it's tough to quantify how much coming from where" that wouldn't be enough for me to pull the engine, much less disassemble it.

As to the overheating, I'd try flushing the cooling system first with Thermocure, see this link. Some people have reported some pretty amazing results, I believe I saw it in the Early Ford V8 magazine this past year. Even though I wasn't overheating and my coolant looked great, it used the product myself and got several pounds of junk out of my cooling system. I could FEEL the weight difference in gallon jugs of distilled water and the same jugs filled with the solid black flush water.

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 02-09-2024 at 12:28 AM.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:36 PM   #26
shinton

Last edited by shinton; 02-06-2024 at 01:57 PM. Reason: accidentally duplicated
shinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:56 PM   #27
shinton

Thanks for all the great advice! I think I'm going to attempt to sort out the bypass filter first and go from there. I'll let you know how that worked (or be back for advice on that bypass filter).

As this is my first early Ford, I'm learning a lot and appreciate the support. It's interesting how they engineered this vehicle and pretty much every problem I solve is a learning moment!

Sam
shinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:54 PM   #28
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinton View Post
As this is my first early Ford, I'm learning a lot and appreciate the support. It's interesting how they engineered this vehicle and pretty much every problem I solve is a learning moment!

My first one too. Don't know what people like us did before the internet and the FordBarn.

I do get a lot of satisfaction figuring things out and making them right on this 80+ year-old technology.

Good thing I don't do it for a living. My business motto would be, "I may be slow but I'm expensive."
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:05 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoupe View Post
My first one too. Don't know what people like us did before the internet and the FordBarn.

I do get a lot of satisfaction figuring things out and making them right on this 80+ year-old technology.

Good thing I don't do it for a living. My business motto would be, "I may be slow but I'm expensive."
Before the internet I bought books written about rebuilding the flathead V8. The earlier ones are grease stained and dog eared. Some guys here learned from working with an old mechanic or other methods, but I live in a remote location and it's not easy to find Ford mentors. Old Frank Rouleau raced them at Skagit Speedway and had part numbers memorized, but he passed before I overhauled my second engine. Three cheers for the internet, the STAR being Fordbarn!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote