Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2023, 05:37 PM   #1
r-horn

Default Need help identifying & sourcing this bushing for 46 runningboard mount

My 46 wagon is missing three of these rubber bushings that go between the runningboard and the support bracket attached to the frame. I've attached photos with & without the bushing. Does anyone know what part number this is? Does anyone know of a source for these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubber bushing.jpg (71.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg missing bushing.jpg (26.4 KB, 189 views)
r-horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 05:51 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Need help identifying & sourcing this bushing for 46 runningboard mount

Are these what you are looking for? https://www.steelerubber.com/body-mo...kit-20-1598-48
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body mount.jpg (48.2 KB, 130 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 06:07 PM   #3
meric42

Default Re: Need help identifying & sourcing this bushing for 46 runningboard mount

I have a few of these that i could send you for the cost of postage if you need send me a PM

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 06:50 PM   #4
TJ

Looks like you may be able to use a regular upper shock bushing.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 09:06 PM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-horn View Post
My 46 wagon is missing three of these rubber bushings that go between the runningboard and the support bracket attached to the frame. I've attached photos with & without the bushing. Does anyone know what part number this is? Does anyone know of a source for these?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 09:07 PM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Are these what you are looking for? https://www.steelerubber.com/body-mo...kit-20-1598-48

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 07-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #7
fordor41

On our '41 fordor, I couldn't find them. I bought some castable urethane, made a mold from plaster of paris and cast our own. they were on the car when we sold it 25 yrs later.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 06:14 AM   #8
Tony, NY

How about these? https://www.steelerubber.com/running...pad-20-1603-49
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:11 AM   #9
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post

Old 07-08-2023, 11:17 AM   #10
r-horn

Thanks all for your suggestions, I'm looking through the Steele Rubber website and also looking at all kinds of shock absorber bushings that might do the trick.

HOWEVER, in a pile of old parts that came with my car years ago, I found one that had been removed. Turns out these are solid steel standoffs, not rubber. The OD is 1.5", the ID is 7/16", the height is 5/8" I've attached a photo for reference (this one apparently had to be cut to be removed). Does this information trigger any new ideas or suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230708_084101.jpg (36.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-08-2023, 11:44 AM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-horn View Post
Thanks all for your suggestions, I'm looking through the Steele Rubber website and also looking at all kinds of shock absorber bushings that might do the trick.

HOWEVER, in a pile of old parts that came with my car years ago, I found one that had been removed. Turns out these are solid steel standoffs, not rubber. The OD is 1.5", the ID is 7/16", the height is 5/8" I've attached a photo for reference (this one apparently had to be cut to be removed). Does this information trigger any new ideas or suggestions?

Old 07-08-2023, 12:38 PM   #12
woodiewagon46

r-horn, the part you are looking for is indeed steel. Any good machine shop or a friend with a lathe can fabricate one using your "bushing" as a sample. The one in my '46 looks like it has large "washers" or spacers probably used to shim the space between the bushing and running board. It's not reproduced as far as I know.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 03:49 PM   #13
r-horn

Thanks woodiewagon46, I also thought I might need to resort to stacks of fender washers or similar as a solution, or maybe a combination of a shock absorber bushing sandwiched between two washers.

Have you also taken apart and re-covered your runningboards? I've got a bunch more questions to ask before I start into this project.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:12 PM   #14
woodiewagon46

r-horn, no when I built my car the running boards were in very nice shape, so I just cleaned them up and treated them with rubber dressing. Please feel free to ask anything about your car. If I can't answer your question, I can find someone that can. I hope you are a member of the National Woodie Club and your local chapter. I don't know where you are located but the weekend of July 22nd is the NWC National Woodie meet at the Mystic CT Seaport Museum. Should be between 50-75 Woodies.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:11 PM   #15
r-horn

woodiewagon46, yes I'm in the NWC and in the Santa Cruz Woodies, I'm in the membership directories. Thanks for your offer to help address my questions.

I've been wondering about how the stainless trim strips are removed from the running boards. Once the running board is removed from the car I assume the method is to slide the strip off the length of the board. If that approach doesn't work I'm guessing the other method would be to slip putty knives under the top edge of the stainless and try to pop it off the running board. Definitely don't want to bend the stainless strip.

I've seen other posts explaining that the strips can be snapped back in place by first catching the lower lip of the stainless strip under the running board then pressing the length of the strip back over the top edge of the running board.

My other questions have to do with techniques for removing the old rubber covering. I recall hearing the quickest way is to have a torch, heat up the board, and scrape/chisel the old rubber and cement off the board. Sounds like a fun time and should smell great! If you or anyone has some tips to share for any part of this running board project I'd welcome them! I'm going to take this project on in the Fall once the local shows are done.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:13 PM   #16
woodiewagon46

r-horn, yes you need to be careful as you don't want to bend the stainless strip. When they go back on, the new reproduction rubber can be an issue, but you can use dish soap for lube. Someone posted a while ago that they used a "scrapper" type blade in their Sawzall reciprocating saw and it worked well. I think the torch mite tend to stink things up.