Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
Andy

Default Couple of 32 questions for DavidG

I have some supposed 32 plug looms that are not belled on the ends. It seems like the belled version would have replaced these early. Maybe in 32. I have some belled ones and would like to know if they would be correct for a late engine.
The other question is about steering wheel keyways. I have one with two and one with one. Is the double one a repo? There is a very worn wheel on the bay with two keyways. He claims original. My double is in great shape so I hope it is original.
I looked in your books and could not figure it out.
Thanks for your guidance!!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Couple of 32 questions for DavidG

The conventional wisdom is that '32 V8 spark plug wire conduits (looms) had a consistent diameter all the way down to the very front end were they flared for the insertion of the rubber boots for the outer distributor caps. While they were eventually changed to a two-stage flaring for a less forced fit of the rubber boots, if it took place at all during the '32 model year it seems as though it was very late as the single flare versions show up on late, highly original cars.

As a running change, the second key way in the steering wheel was added to permit the wheels to be oriented with a spoke pointing directly upward or directly downward. The former provides the best view of the instrument panel, but it would interfere with the straight-ahead view for short drivers. The latter (spoke down) eliminates any straight-ahead view interference, but when driving on a straight road the view of the instrument panel is compromised.

Based on archives photos, it's obvious that the steering wheels were installed in the spoke up position when the cars were built, but once the second key way was added to the steering wheel if an owner complained, a dealer could rotate the position of the wheel 180 degrees to resolve the complaint.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
Andy

David, Thank you!
I am thrilled that the nice wheel is probably original. I always thought it was repo.
There is a strange feature on one of the constant diameter looms. It is made of sheet metal rolled and seam welded. I found it first and the other side I found later is of conventional construction.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
DavidG

When Bob Drake produced his excellent reproduction of the '32 steering wheel, he wisely copied the late version with the two key ways. Too bad that it hasn't been available for quite a while.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Andy

Is there any way to tell if I have a Drake? The car was extreamly original with only a few repo parts. Thanks again!!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Is there any way to tell if I have a Drake? The car was extreamly original with only a few repo parts. Thanks again!!
On most Drake repo parts you will find the name Drake somewhere on the item. I know it was on the Drake banjo steering wheels.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Andy

TJ, Thanks!
I have determined the nicer one is a repo. The originals have three rivets and three holes in the hub. This one just has the three rivets and no holes. Bummer
Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
DavidG

The Drake '32 wheels that I have seen (and used as they were excellent reproductions) do not have the name 'Drake' on them.

Andy, if you massage the wheel a bit to eliminate the mold parting lines, etc., once it is installed it cannot be distinguished from a NOS wheel.