Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2024, 10:20 PM   #1
jgriffin

Default Engine paint

Are there any opinions on which paint is more correct. I really like the Engine Enamel, the can with green lettering. I've decided to use this as I think it looks more "rich". Just wondering on the general consensus of what everyone else thinks about the two colors of green. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240312_201251.jpg (91.7 KB, 59 views)
jgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:38 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Engine paint

It is my understanding that Ford used to dump the left over paint from dipping other parts into the paint for the engine thus there was a wide range of light or darkness to the green. I always had better luck painting with a brush instead of a spray can.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 03-13-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:15 AM   #3
Wick

I prefer the brush on paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240312_164130.jpg (98.5 KB, 87 views)
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:38 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

I have seen original NOS Model "A" parts in a light green to a dark green, so ditto Charlie Stevens comment in Post #2. In my opinion, leftover enamels were mixed by Ford. I also notice that Ford Engine Green varies in color between current parts dealers, and between brush-on and aerosol paints.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:40 AM   #5
JayJay

I use the Bill Hirsch Ford Green brush-on engine paint that used to be available from the usual Model A suppliers, but is also available directly from Bill Hirsch Paints. Goes on easy, seems to hold up well, but it is quite dark and (at least the brush-on) very glossy. Since I have so many enginey-things painted this color now I'm likely to stick with it, but my preference would be for something a bit lighter and less glossy if I was starting over. Starting from a bare metal casting I find that one coat, plus some touchup of holidays a day later, is usually necessary to get full coverage. Looks about like the picture Wick posted above.

If you decide upon a color, make sure you can get it in the future for touch-ups or replacement parts (like that water pump you know you'll need sometime).

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:53 AM   #6
gdmn852

Hello, I have also heard what post 2 and 4 said In thier posts ,can’t imagine Ford wasting much in the factory.Green must have been a popular color for engines then .
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:30 AM   #7
TomInCologne

It would be great if somebody with a current RAL catalogue could come up with a RAL number he/she thinks is closest to 'the original colour' if that ever existed...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:05 PM   #8
nkaminar

Clean whatever you are painting with the engine enamel well. A final wipe with acetone or lacquer thinner.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:13 PM   #9
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Clean whatever you are painting with the engine enamel well. A final wipe with acetone or lacquer thinner.
I use Brakleen as my final rinse, works just as well as acetone but is a little easier on the skin.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:19 PM   #10
1crosscut

To paint the entire engine, flywheel housing, bell housing and misc parts I find it takes a bit over two cans to get it all done.
I use one of the three cans of paint to do the final coat on each part and the other two for the base coats.
By using the one can for the final coat it assures that all parts will match perfectly.
The can that is used for the final coat goes with the engine so the owner can use it for touch ups.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:59 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
It is my understanding that Ford used to dump the left over paint from dipping other parts into the paint for the engine thus there was a wide range of light or darkness to the green. I always had better luck painting with a brush instead of a spray can.

Charlie Stephens
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
Hello, I have also heard what post 2 and 4 said In thier posts ,can’t imagine Ford wasting much in the factory.Green must have been a popular color for engines then .
So lets debunk this theory. Since the engine paint was Alkyd Enamel, ...and the only dipping enamel that was used in Model-A production was Gloss Black, it would have needed WAY more Yellow and Blue toners to make the mix than the amount of Black that Ford would have salvaged from their dipping vats. So my point is, -think about how little of an amount of salvage Black paint would have been needed to formulate the Ford Engine Green, ...and also think about the distilling costs associated in distilling that contaminated Black paint just to make it useable to mix with the Blue & Yellow. If they were going to distill and filter the Black enamel paint, why not just reintroduce it into the fresh Black paint, and continue on.

A second side of this is, -the only place Ford Engine Green was used would have been at the Rouge plant in Dearborn since that is where the castings were made and those pieces painted. So what happened to the 'waste Black paint' from all of the other Branches? Too costly to ship back to Rouge, -and the costs to purify and distill tp render it useful in blending with the Yellow and Blue paint should be enough to say this would not have been done. I have not seen the M-Specs for Ford Engine Green paint, but I also suspect it called for virgin materials. My guess as to what happened to the waste Black paint was it was incinerated and used in generating fuel for the steam generators at each Branch.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:12 AM   #12
Oldbluoval

Brent’s explanation(s) make perfect sense.
The location and logistics involved in moving paint would preclude economic transport. Albeit, EPA and hazmat was not alive and kicking!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote