Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Nostalgic1930

Default Serious oil leak !

Hey guys looking to get some insight on this situation.

i have a banger motor in my 1930 truck. and after running about an hour or so it pours out about a half a quart out of the cotter-pin hole. i took the pan off and took 2 shims out and still didn't do anything!

the cap had a hole drilled into it and the pipe looked to be cracked and welded back on, my question is what else could cause this oil to be coming out in such an abundance.

is it that the babbit is worn down so much ?

looking to pull the motor and get away with the least expensive fix for now, which would be the bearings re done and crank re ground? would a Brass seal help as well. much appreciated !

also was told if the cap was from another car it would never be right or aligned correctly because of the specific wear pattern to the engine, crank, and bearings
Nostalgic1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
AL in NY

Default Re: Serious oil leak !

Nostalgic1930, did you just take out two shims or did you determine that's what needed to come out by checking the clearances.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Nostalgic1930

i took out two and hand cranked the engine to see if it would turn free if i took out the third and ran no shim it wouldnt turn by hand
Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Is your oil cap pushed down too far, blocking the 4 square vent holes?? I did that once & it leaked like a sieve out of the bell housing.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Nostalgic1930

nope ran it without the cap same result
Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
James Rogers

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
How many shims are left on each side?
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
1crosscut

Is this a motor your familiar with and this is something new happening or is it a "new to you" motor that your running for the first time?
Did you change the oil recently and running to high of an oil level?
Most run midway between low and full.
Its possible the the weld on the tube plugged it up or it is screwed too deep into the cap not allowing the oil to drain.
Would you by chance be parking uphill on a steep grade after your drives?
It would be a good idea to get some plastigauge and see just what your clearances are.
Others will chime in I'm sure.
Dave
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Nostalgic1930

i am not i bought the truck and i have been filling low to mid level with straight 50 wieght, so its not over filled, there is one shim left. and yes once i did park on an incline this past week and about 2 quarts came out , and i am serious
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic1930 View Post
Hey guys looking to get some insight on this situation.

i have a banger motor in my 1930 truck. and after running about an hour or so it pours out about a half a quart out of the cotter-pin hole. i took the pan off and took 2 shims out and still didn't do anything!

the cap had a hole drilled into it and the pipe looked to be cracked and welded back on, my question is what else could cause this oil to be coming out in such an abundance.

is it that the babbit is worn down so much ?

looking to pull the motor and get away with the least expensive fix for now, which would be the bearings re done and crank re ground? would a Brass seal help as well. much appreciated !

also was told if the cap was from another car it would never be right or aligned correctly because of the specific wear pattern to the engine, crank, and bearings
Where is the hole in the cap? Is it in the "channel" (on the bottom of the cap) that runs up to the rear of the main cap. That is ... is the hole in that channel that goes from the 1/4 inch drain tube towards the rear of cap?

If this is where the hole is then the oil will run down into the flywheel housing.

Also if the pipe is cracked or has a leaking weld joint then air can be forcing oil out. Pipe must be about 3 inches long so the end of the pipe is always BELOW the oil level. This keeps the crankcase pressure from blowing oil back up the channel and out the rear main.

I have seen where someone removed the rear cap and drilled a hole from the crank side in the babbit straight down into the channel. I am not sure if this makes matters worse or not as long as they did not drill clear through to the outside of the cap.

Pictures might help the engine guys figure it out!

Last edited by Benson; 07-26-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
1crosscut

Doesn't sound promising. Most run a 30wt oil. Don't know if running 50wt would have much to do with it. 2 quarts....... dang.
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Nostalgic1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Doesn't sound promising. Most run a 30wt oil. Don't know if running 50wt would have much to do with it. 2 quarts....... dang.
literally flowed down the hill , i was speechless
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Nostalgic1930

right in the center of the cap in the middle of that groove is drilled in but not all the way thru.

what are these Brass rear main thrust would those do anything

does anyone make a reproduction cap?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Glenn C.

The mounting surface of that cap in the picture is in very rough shape. I prefer to lap the cap on a heavy plate glass or ground slab of granite to obtain as close as possible perfect mating surface. Bill Barlow from Bend Oregon is the man for repair of the rear main bearing cap babbit. Bronze thrust seal works great, but you need to pull the crank to install it.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #14
James Rogers

Quote:
i am not i bought the truck and i have been filling low to mid level with straight 50 wieght, so its not over filled, there is one shim left. and yes once i did park on an incline this past week and about 2 quarts came out , and i am serious
With only one shim left, it sounds like it is time for some bearings. You also need to measure the thrust clearance. If the thrust is more than .015 you will have a leak which will be more with more clearance. Thrust clearance leaks have a tendency to leave a trail because the crank moving forward and back create a pump effect and leak profusely. If the thrust is within tolerance (.003-.012) you probably just have worn bearings. When the bearings get worn and all shims are removed you get an egg shape bearing with the top and bottom tight to the crank and the sides well out of tolerance causing a channel for leakage. The hole drilled in the is an old bandaid fix for a leaky rear main and some previous owner knew about the condition.
If it leaks that bad with 50W you have a very worn bearing. Here is a picture of a main with a common hole but this is done at rebuild. Some builders do this as a preventative measure. I believe if a builder has no more confidence in his work than this you should find another builder. The groove in the second pic should connect with the wells at the sides to be fully effective. There are more "fixes" but I won't go into those since they don't apply to this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modelacoupebabbit-9y.jpg (35.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0486.jpg (34.0 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by James Rogers; 07-27-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Nostalgic1930

my question now is , will it affect anything if i try and use another cap off another car, since the oil tube was welded, after the engine has new bearings, and crank reground i would hate to use a cap that might have a different wear pattern. thanks all for the help!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
James Rogers

Quote:
my question now is , will it affect anything if i try and use another cap off another car, since the oil tube was welded, after the engine has new bearings, and crank reground i would hate to use a cap that might have a different wear pattern. thanks all for the help!
Some have gotten away with it. Normally, the tube is welded on all rear caps when the engine is rebuilt. Some builders don't but I do so it won't fall off. Just about all I have ever removed have been welded.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #17
Duffy1

I used J B Weld on mine tube . Will J B weld keep it in place ?

Thanks
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
columbiA

The main cap in post #12 appears to have a score mark on the RH mounting surface close to the bolt hole.Unless the surface is perfectly flat,it will leak oil.In the1949 FOMOCO of Canada parts book,it lists the 3 main caps as "standard-finished" with rear main babbitt length of 2.995".I have quite often used caps from other engines & had no problems.If your crank is.010 US for instance,then you need a cap of that size
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
JBohannon

I am curious about the use of 50 wt oil. I have an oil leak if I go over half full not near as bad as his. If I went to 40 wt or 50wt would that help. Thank, Joe B.
JBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
JBohannon

Will 40 or 50W still lubricate well.
JBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote