Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
fomocoloco

Default distributor / coil rebuild on 36

sent dist/coil to a well known ignition expert from this site. came back w/out coil done. sent same to Skip to do coil check work on dist. Skip said the freshly done dist 'was all screwed up'. Im out $100 to the ignition expert.
fomocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: distributor / coil rebuild on 36

And what was wrong with the distributor? I would for sure want to know just in case that was one we did??? We do quite a few of the helmets with no problems what so ever.
However we dont do ignition coils.
Every unit we touch is ran on a tester for some time , adjusted with a load on it and tested again before going to the customer...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Scott H

Yeah, that's kinda messed up to just post "i sent it out and I'm out $100". No mention of whether he tried to work with the 'ignition expert' or what was wrong with the distributor. Complaints like this are of no value to anyone if they don't give specific info on what's wrong, what was done to attempt to correct it, and what the communication was between customer and vendor. If you are trying to be a gentleman and protect the reputation of the vendor, the information about the transaction can still be posted without revealing any names.

Anybody can make a mistake but you have to give the person notice and give them the opportunity to make it right or refund the money. Even the People's Court allows for that basic courtesy. Dont' know if this was done?
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
fomocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
Yeah, that's kinda messed up to just post "i sent it out and I'm out $100". No mention of whether he tried to work with the 'ignition expert' or what was wrong with the distributor. Complaints like this are of no value to anyone if they don't give specific info on what's wrong, what was done to attempt to correct it, and what the communication was between customer and vendor. If you are trying to be a gentleman and protect the reputation of the vendor, the information about the transaction can still be posted without revealing any names.

Anybody can make a mistake but you have to give the person notice and give them the opportunity to make it right or refund the money. Even the People's Court allows for that basic courtesy. Dont' know if this was done?
First of all, I didn't mention any names. I sent my dist/coil to Skip Haney because I still needed the coil done. I wanted the same guy to work on both dist and coil. Skip didn't say what the prolem was, just 'all screwed up'. I'll talk to him today and post.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Scott H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWEEZER View Post
First of all, I didn't mention any names. I sent my dist/coil to Skip Haney because I still needed the coil done. I wanted the same guy to work on both dist and coil. Skip didn't say what the prolem was, just 'all screwed up'. I'll talk to him today and post.
I agree with you and I applaud you for not mentioning any names until you find out more information. Its the right thing to do. My point was if you don't know what is messed up and you haven't talked to the ignition guy, then you are a bit premature to say you're out $100. Maybe the guy screwed it up royally and won't stand behind his work. Maybe he will apologize and return your money. Maybe Skip will come back and say its not as bad as he thought and its really okay. We just don't know yet. It's like "READY!..FIRE!...AIM!"
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
G.M.

I don't like to post names but since it is already up I can supply the results of the problem. When the distributor arrived I happened to be at the shop. I told Skip to put it on the machine before it was touched. On the machine the vacume didn't work, the shaft was a little hard turning due to a metal washer placed in front of the rotor on the shaft as a spacer pushing the rotor towards the rear with a slight bind. The total percentage of dwell was off by 18% at 100 no where near the 82 it should be. Points were way out of adjustment which is what threw the dwell off. After taking it apart there wasn't ANY OIL for lubrication. The vacuum cap was never tightened which was discovered after the initial test, this was tightened and retested before taking the distributor apart. There was no lubricant in the cylinder, once lubed it worked fine but was not tested at this time for it's correct setting which could never had been set leaking vacuum. Properly adjusted and and setup on an original Ford~Heyer distributor stobe machine it was sent back set up to the original factory specs. Maybe the customer reset the points, installed the washer, cleaned the oil out and loosened the vacuum cap??? G.M.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
fomocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
I don't like to post names but since it is already up I can supply the results of the problem. When the distributor arrived I happened to be at the shop. I told Skip to put it on the machine before it was touched. On the machine the vacume didn't work, the shaft was a little hard turning due to a metal washer placed in front of the rotor on the shaft as a spacer pushing the rotor towards the rear with a slight bind. The total percentage of dwell was off by 18% at 100 no where near the 82 it should be. Points were way out of adjustment which is what threw the dwell off. After taking it apart there wasn't ANY OIL for lubrication. The vacuum cap was never tightened which was discovered after the initial test, this was tightened and retested before taking the distributor apart. There was no lubricant in the cylinder, once lubed it worked fine but was not tested at this time for it's correct setting which could never had been set leaking vacuum. Properly adjusted and and setup on an original Ford~Heyer distributor stobe machine it was sent back set up to the original factory specs. Maybe the customer reset the points, installed the washer, cleaned the oil out and loosened the vacuum cap??? G.M.
Thanks for posting your reply. It answered the questions I had. We will see if the 'ignition expert' stands behind his work.
i
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

In my opinion all of the ignition rebuilders who post here are good reliable folks who do excellent work. Making a post like this that makes others wonder who MAY have done a poor job is not the best thing to do unless all possibilities for privately resolving this issue have already been pursued and failed to bring final resolution. JMO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
G.M.

John I agree with you and would not have responded except for the fact that the problem was posted along with the names of the people involved. Since I KNOW and SAW the problem and results rather then second handed information I reported the facts as they were. I will say one thing I liked the rebuild tag that was on it so there is no doubt where it was rebuilt. G.M.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Thanks for posting your reply. It answered the questions I had. We will see if the 'ignition expert' stands behind his work.
i

I guess at this point we can assume you have called the "expert" and discussed the problem ?

If not you are totally wrong in this entire post !!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
fomocoloco

The only name I mentioned was Skip and that was in a positive way. Yes, that is a nice decal.

i
Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
fomocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
I guess at this point we can assume you have called the "expert" and discussed the problem ?

If not you are totally wrong in this entire post !!!
What is there to discuss about a binding spacer, no lube, a vaccuum leak, and points out of wack.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Seth Swoboda

I have to agree with Scott H on this one. If there is a problem with a vendor no matter who it is, contact and communicate with the vendor about the problem. Please don't come on here and give a vauge post about it. All of the well known vendors on here are good people and are willing to work out the problems. They have to be because of the niche market we are involved in. JCWEEZER I suggest you give the original rebuilder a call and work it out, if you already haven't. Don't loose your cool and give the person a chance to make it right, that's only fair.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 05-24-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
fomocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I have to agree with Scott H on this one. If there is a problem with a vendor no matter who it is, contact and communicate with the vendor about the problem. Please don't come on here and give a vauge post about it. All of the well known vendors on here are good people and are willing to work out the problems. They have to be because of the niche market we are involved in. JCWEEZER I suggest you give the original rebuilder a call and work it out, if you already haven't.
I did not know there was a problem until the email form Skip. My post was 'vauge' because I did not want to mention names.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
BUBBAS IGNITION

OK, i want to solve the puzzle ! ( been watching jeopardy)

The distributor has got to be one of mine and i do remember the customer, ( he was that special ), he was upset that i refered him to Skip ( i do send Skip a lot of business as i respect his work) for the coil as i dont do coils and that coil isnt available.
We as usual cleaned and built the distributor , polished the advance weights and sprayed a dry lube on all the parts to prevent rusting. The end clearance was checked and i ran it on my tester for some times just like i always do. The points were adjusted using the 1936 Ford bullitins , ran some more and then retested. I do each and every one of these myself before shipping. We also isolate the rotor shaft with shrink wrap to prevent internal arching. And for all this we charged a whopping $48 plus parts and shipping..

On the vacuum issue we just leave them loose for the customer to adjust on the car after start up. We preset the screw three turns in and leave it that way as i have no clue how much vac each flathead has . The piston has new leather rinstalled and is lubed with marvel mystery oil.

JCWEEZER hasnt called us with any concerns or ever mentioned any problems whatso ever before this to me or any one of my staff. Every now and then in business you just need to fire a customer and this is one of those times i guess.
JC please call my office using our toll free 1-888-809-3835 number and give her your invoice number and she will issue a refund check right away of the labor and shipping . I will not refund for the parts as i have to believe that Skip found them to be the best money can buy and left them in the distributor!

Signed , a very unhappy "Bubba".....
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
Seth Swoboda

"Every now and then in business you just need to fire a customer and this is one of those times i guess."

Agreed, you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try.

My hat's off to Bubba for his proper handling of the situation.

Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
BUBBAS IGNITION

And just for some closure a check just went out today as a refund to JCWEEZER also known as Jerry Weiser.
He finally did call for his refund...
Old 05-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
fomocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
OK, i want to solve the puzzle ! ( been watching jeopardy)

The distributor has got to be one of mine and i do remember the customer, ( he was that special ), he was upset that i refered him to Skip ( i do send Skip a lot of business as i respect his work) for the coil as i dont do coils and that coil isnt available.
We as usual cleaned and built the distributor , polished the advance weights and sprayed a dry lube on all the parts to prevent rusting. The end clearance was checked and i ran it on my tester for some times just like i always do. The points were adjusted using the 1936 Ford bullitins , ran some more and then retested. I do each and every one of these myself before shipping. We also isolate the rotor shaft with shrink wrap to prevent internal arching. And for all this we charged a whopping $48 plus parts and shipping..

On the vacuum issue we just leave them loose for the customer to adjust on the car after start up. We preset the screw three turns in and leave it that way as i have no clue how much vac each flathead has . The piston has new leather rinstalled and is lubed with marvel mystery oil.

JCWEEZER hasnt called us with any concerns or ever mentioned any problems whatso ever before this to me or any one of my staff. Every now and then in business you just need to fire a customer and this is one of those times i guess.
JC please call my office using our toll free 1-888-809-3835 number and give her your invoice number and she will issue a refund check right away of the labor and shipping . I will not refund for the parts as i have to believe that Skip found them to be the best money can buy and left them in the distributor!

Signed , a very unhappy "Bubba".....

Bubba, I'll post when I get the check. I'll consider myself fired.
i
Old 05-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
grumpys hot rods

JCWEEZER I consider you FIRED Also !!
grumpys hot rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
Slick Steve

Quote:
Bubba, I'll post when I get the check. I'll consider myself fired.
i
Now he thinks he isnt going to get the check.....geez. You're Fired!!!

Check out my blog on my Flathead project!
http://myav8.blogspot.com/
Slick Steve is offline   Reply With Quote