Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #21
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Flathead filter

Nah, Lou. Sump-screen sludge is worse. 8^)

I'm still waiting for a pix of your PCV setup.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #22
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I can't read that either but as Ol' Ron said, it is a plug (set screw) that is threaded in place between the two passageways.
Thank you.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #23
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Yes. I'm also reminded of a sad story that may have been posted on the HAMB, of a freshly rebuilt flattie with a full flow modification that they guy decided to "test run" without the filter (he capped or blocked off the filter lines). He filled it with oil and proceeded to cook his bearings & such.
I recall that story, but if recall correctly the failure was due to the fact that the owner had used a block that had been modified to have the oil diverted out to a filter and didn't realize it. He plugged the external pipe ports and the "grub screw" blocked the oil from entering the oil galley. I bet Bruce Lancaster remembers that one. I think he discovered the cause of the problem.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #24
Lew Groth

Will running without a filter give higher oil pressure when hot?
Thanks, Lew
Lew Groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
Mike in AZ

or just run a hose from outlet port to inlet port of the block....and i read that post, too....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #26
flatjack9

I happen to run the Motor City full flow system on my engine which I built in 1993. I do not have a PCV system and the inside of my engine looks just like the day I built it. I do run 180 deg thermostats. As I have said, a PCV system is a good idea but not essential to a clean engine. Sludge build up in the old engines probably had as much to do with the oil technology at that time than anything else.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #27
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Groth View Post
Will running without a filter give higher oil pressure when hot?
Thanks, Lew
Maybe if it's a partial flow type filter that bleeds off oil and sends it to the filter. If it's a full flow, probably not.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #28
36tbird

Good call (again!), Jack. Sump screen plugged up would ruin your whole day.

I remember a '39 Ford that my dad bought where we poured kerosene in the crank and ran it to loosen up the sludge to drain. I got the assignment to remove the drain plug so I was on my back expecting the usual slosh and splash of oil draining as you removed those big plugs so I did the final twist and pulled back. Even after the kerosene run, nothing came out! I stuck my finger in the hole only to feel solid sludge. I had to use a screw driver to poke a hole in the stuff to get something to finally drain out.

On my PCV set up. I've got it all mocked up and I think it will be really cool. I need to make a rear vent pipe piece, the one that goes down from the fuel pump base mount into the boss around the pump rod base. Measuring one from a '36, it is about 1.725 OD but all I could find is some 1 3/4" OD exhaust tubing. So, I will have to shave that just a little and it should fit. Anyway, with the discussion we had here on the Barn about it, I think we can say a collaborative effort was used to design a PCV setup for a 59A that will not diminish the engine's vacuum. Mine will not be completely hidden away like the ones under the manifolds, but will be very "attractively functional".
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #29
flatjack9

Had my engine apart last summer and as I stated it was as clean inside as the day I built it. The screen looked like new. No doubt the old oils, no themostats and lack of maintenance caused all kinds of sludge to build up. It just doesn't happen today.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
Merc Cruzer

53’ Mercury block: the diagram depicts the oil return going from the filter to the newly drilled passage, where as my oil return goes back into the block just above the oil pan. Is there a need to drill the passage as depicted in the diagram or simply block off the tube as shown and direct the return oil back to the block where it is now?
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #31
36tbird

You drill the passage in order to install plugs. You are directing the oil up the vertical shaft from the oil pump to the filter. The oil comes out of the filter and returns to the existing passage via the new hole drilled upstream. You install a plug in the horizontal passage way between where the vertical oil passage from the pump intersects and the new hole downstream to keep the oil going to the filter from mixing with the oil that has come out of the filter.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #32
Barlea

The new passage needs to be drilled to allow the full flow from the pump, through the filter, back to the new port so the full flow of filtered, pressurized oil is on it's way to the bearings. The partial flow system diverts part of the pressurized oil from the pump, through the filter and back to the pan. By the way, the disasters associated with leaving the grub screw in place without the filter and lines was eliminated in the Ford Canada full flow system by using a special outlet fitting that used a thinwall extension tube from the bottom to project down past the horizontal connecting passage. This tube effectively blocks the "out" passage from the "in" passage in full flow mode, and removing the hose fitting from the block removes the separation and allows use without filter system of any kind, or a partial flow filter. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #33
Merc Cruzer

I agree with most:

"The oil comes out of the filter and returns to the existing passage via the new hole drilled upstream."

but why not just direct the oil coming out of the filter back to the hole in the block above the oil pan? It just doesn't seem to be a need to drill the new hole if the only purpose is to have the oil from the filter return there rather that back through the original hole in the lower block?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
Merc Cruzer

Barlea:

Thank you for the reason and explanation for the new hole...I take it that you just plug the hole in the lower block?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #35
Barlea

If you run all the oil through the filter and back into the pan there will be no pressurized oil to the bearings. Also, I didn't mention in my previous post that the inboard oil port is already drilled and tapped on Ford Canada flatheads. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #36
Mike in AZ

you only do the drilling, tapping, plugging, etc. if you are going to the "full-flow" filtering system as shown in the diagram....what you have is the original filtering which only filtered a small portion of the time at a time, where the "full-flow" filtering system will filter most of the oil at a time.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #37
37fatfender

As I look at that drawing it is NOT a full flow oil system, because unless I am wrong the rear main is still recieving unfiltered oil.........right?
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #38
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Yep. Same as a Small block Chevy...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #39
36tbird

37, you can direct filtered oil to the rear main but it involves drilling holes to the oil passages at the back of the block inside of the flywheel. I did this to the 8ba that currently resides in my '36 p/u. Everything seems to be fine but I always worry about that plumbing coming loose and dumping all of my oil in a few seconds. If I had it to do over again, I would not. As Bruce points out, there are millions of SBC's running around that do not have filtered oil going to their rear mains.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #40
37fatfender

I know exactly....what you did, I thought that as the thread was going it began to sound like people believed that the diagram was a full flow system. I know of only two ways to completely filter the oil.......the MCF oil pump method or Red Hamilton..aka Red's Headers method. I was a little nervous when I installed Reds method, but its been in the car about 6 years with no problem. I also run the High Volume pump with it, I thought it would be better to use it knowing all the oil was pushed through the filter medium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34Oilfilter.jpg (90.6 KB, 132 views)
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote