Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2023, 08:41 PM   #21
rfitzpatrick

Default Re: Looking for options on modern points and condenser

Reference: Post #'s 4, 9, & 13.
YES, I agree. FSI solved my ignition problems
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:57 PM   #22
alexiskai

User verdirick was able to send me some photos of a NORS Filko 75U combination points/capacitor unit. An article in The Restorer from Mar. 1990 describes how to modify an original upper plate to accept the Filko 75U and other "modern" point sets. The Filko 75U was unique in integrating the condenser onto the points assembly itself. Some users reported that the "chip" interfered with the rotor, until someone pointed out in a later Restorer that you could reverse the chip's direction to solve the clearance problem.

Although many drivers reported successfully using the Filko 75U in their Model A, I was not able to find any information on the chip itself or its capacitance. Filko discontinued it in 1995.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3015.jpg (115.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3020.jpg (17.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3025.jpg (12.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3022.jpg (16.9 KB, 16 views)
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:10 PM   #23
Synchro909

The condenser I have had most success with is the Bosch GD 11E.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:15 AM   #24
MrBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
User verdirick was able to send me some photos of a NORS Filko 75U combination points/capacitor unit. An article in The Restorer from Mar. 1990 describes how to modify an original upper plate to accept the Filko 75U and other "modern" point sets. The Filko 75U was unique in integrating the condenser onto the points assembly itself. Some users reported that the "chip" interfered with the rotor, until someone pointed out in a later Restorer that you could reverse the chip's direction to solve the clearance problem.

Although many drivers reported successfully using the Filko 75U in their Model A, I was not able to find any information on the chip itself or its capacitance. Filko discontinued it in 1995.
I still have a couple of sets and they were great! Was so disappointed when they discontinued the set. If we would have known it there would have been many more sales of them.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:06 AM   #25
alexiskai

If anyone wants to lend me a Filko 75U, I’ll run capacitance tests on it and send it back. [emoji846]
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #26
CT Jack

I have been using the Petronix solid state ignition module for approximately 10 years and like the way the engine performs and not having to make gap adjustments and point replacements. I buy these units from FS Ignition in Oklahoma. My present engine has the FS Ignition Zipper model installed. This model distributor is similar to the B distributor which includes mechanical advance and the Petronix module. This feature allows my advance - retard control lever to be locked in place. Another plus feature aside from not having to adjust point gaps is the elimination of the condenser. Many on this forum have had problems with the quality of present day condensers causing starting failures.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 01:31 PM   #27
Don S

I have the same points and capacitor in my collection of spares. I think that I acquired it in the 80’s but never used it. I still have the box and a sketch of the parts together,but no directions of how the capacitor is connected to the points. Simple I am sure ,but I wouldn’t want to put it together incorrectly . Pictures or directions would be helpful. I would like to try this system,just to see if it works. I must say that after trying the “Zipper “ and others ,the original points/condenser have worked perfectly for me for many years,no issues.
Don
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote