Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2023, 08:02 PM   #1
David Lien

Default 8BA Truck oil Pan to install in 1946 Ford

I Have an 8BA engine. I want to install it in my 1946 ford. Engine has the 4 In. crank, 49 Merc. bell housing With starter plate and a 1949 Borg and Beck clutch and flywheel.

Question #1. Will the Tk. oil pan clear all things underneath the 46 Ford without modification???

Question #2 With 8BA Tk water pumps and 49 mercury fan and generator. Will the engine clear the radiator??? ((((Without modification))))

Question # 3 Will the clutch clear the inside of the 1946 for Transmission????
Any and all help will be put to good use.

Many years ago I had the answers to these issues, but I have let myself have to many birthdays.

PS I get much enjoyment From reading this Forum. Thanks for all and any information you can give me on this thread.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:14 PM   #2
av8coupe

Default Re: 8BA Truck oil Pan to install in 1946 Ford

I'll try to help a little. I'm certainly no expert and my experience is limited, but some of my experience may give you things to watch for. I have an 8BA in my '41 sedan. The engine has a truck pan on it and the drag link was extremely close to the sump of the pan. I used some rounded dollies and hammered the front of the sump to gain clearance. It was a little crude but gave me the space I needed. The front of the car was lowered a couple of inches and this could be a factor in needing to do this. Hope this helps.
av8coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:22 AM   #3
69a

You use the truck water pumps (8RT) bolted to your original engine mounts. and the wide belt to drive both pumps and the generator. I used the '46 fan. I'm not sure if I used the '46 crank pulley or the 8RT.

Last edited by 69a; 12-27-2023 at 04:32 AM.
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:27 AM   #4
19Fordy

Here's the crank pulley I used to install an 8BA in my 40 Ford. Also, used 8RT wide belt pumps rebuilt by "Skip" on Fordbarn with original engine mounts. I found that the 49 Merc fan set up upward adjustment caused the fan blades to hit the upper radiator hoses.

Here's a posting that will really help answer your questions..
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...coupe.1060915/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1307.jpg (77.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1306.jpg (27.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1310.jpg (33.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3549b.jpg (51.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3553b.jpg (46.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3555b.jpg (53.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3580b.jpg (56.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3568.jpg (39.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-27-2023 at 10:44 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 09:56 PM   #5
38 coupe

The easiest is typically to "dress" the motor with 48-52 Ford truck parts: oil pan, crank pulley, water pumps (new reproduction with sealed bearings and ceramic seals is best), generator with wide belt, 4 blade fan with wide belt (same 42-48 car and 42-52 pickup), bell housing, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, and exhaust manifolds (same 42-48 car and 48-52 truck).
I used a reproduction truck upper hose metal pipe cut in half and modern silicone hose for the upper radiator hoses. The import tuner crowd loves silicone hoses and you can get them in a variety of shapes and sizes. Straight silicone hose make installing the lower radiator hoses much easier too.

Some 49-50 Mercury parts also can be used (oil pan and bell housing), but they are less common and typically more expensive. In particular the Mercury oil pan specific oil pickup tube is usually annoying to find. If your motor already has 49-50 Mercury oil pan and pick up I would keep them.

I put a 51 car engine in a 46 sedan a couple years ago for my father. I used the list of truck parts above and it went together. The specific order of installation got annoying and tight, but it did all just bolt in. I had no clearance issues, no need to bash the oil pan. The car is not lowered.

Pictures:

38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM   #6
rotorwrench

The 49 to early 51 Mercury oil pan has three studs on the bottom that attach to an L bracket that fits to the starter plate to help reinforce the assembly. It also has it's own oil pick up tube. The half bell is stamped steel.

An 8BA truck pan will work but it has to have the special seal and the aluminum seal plate that bolts to the back of the engine. They are a deeper pan with a clean out so a person has to make sure it has clearance. They have their own oil pick up tube as well. The trucks had several cast iron half bells that fit to the engine depending on transmission type.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 06:47 AM   #7
38 coupe

rotorwrech brings up some good points. You need to use the starter plate that matches the bell housing, either Mercury or Truck. If you already have everything 49-50 Mercury from the starter plate back just keep it. Can you post a picture of what you have so we can clarify what needs to be swapped out and what can be used as-is?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 11:40 AM   #8
big job

all I can say is I put a fresh EBA that was for a light truck in my 46 for a rebuild. The EBA customer backed out cause he sold the truck (fine with me) No issues no problems
you will have to use shorter upper radiator hoses don't think it was even a 1/2 hour install, except the hated job of radiator, hood and anti freeze mess which I do not get along with any kind of fluid lol such is life. Oh I used the 46 clutch and about two weeks we finished the 59 A and swapped engines again. truck pan 46 fan truck crank pulley fat belts
big job is offline   Reply With Quote