Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #21
rich b

Default Re: Indentify chassis?

Would think that a drag link that short would create some bump steer.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #22
Tinker

You got your work cut out for ya, whatever is going on with steering arm and spindle thingie. Springs look shot too.

You like them sitting low or stock?... well it's a truck also, sooo... jacked up?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #23
AnthonyG

As previously stated I agree the steering link is ughly but until I come up with a better solution while ughly it very strong & functions surprisingly well. I believe what ur calling the spindle thingie is the 1” dia. Tie rod connecting the steering pivots on the spindle/ brake / flange assemblies. While I will come up with a better design 4 the link, the long tie rod is fine with me. Will prep all that was chrome which is in bad shape & paint black.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #24
Tinker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCUlPNlQuA
Old 08-24-2018, 12:17 AM   #25
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
As previously stated I agree the steering link is ughly but until I come up with a better solution while ughly it very strong & functions surprisingly well. I believe what ur calling the spindle thingie is the 1” dia. Tie rod connecting the steering pivots on the spindle/ brake / flange assemblies. While I will come up with a better design 4 the link, the long tie rod is fine with me. Will prep all that was chrome which is in bad shape & paint black.

Guess i didn't see the tie rod in the pictures, just the short drag link and spindle set up. tie rods are usually long, and better suited behind the axle. Your Drag link angle looks fine, so death wobble is probable okay. Just a strange setup if welded well.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-24-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:36 AM   #26
Mart

It looks like the drag link (the bent and welded silver coloured thing) is going to a steering arm forward of the kingpin. It also looks like the tie rod is forward of the axle. If the axle is early Ford, are the spindles early Ford? If they have been fitted backwards they may have incorrect ackermann angle. This might not be a massive problem, but will cause the tyres to scrub heavily on corners.

The truck is heavily modified. It is what it is. It is a collection of parts put together by someone who may or may not have the required skills. Sitting on top of this collection of parts is a 40 or 41 pickup cab, front end sheetmetal and a bed.

What it is not, is a 41 pickup, so it's hard to offer any advice.

Taking on board that it does drive ok, though, and you are happy to have it and drive it, take a look at the ackermann.

One last observation, the chassis illustrations on Macs site look the same to me, unless I'm missing something. As said, the steering box location in the side rail would tie it to f1 years.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #27
AnthonyG

Thx for the help & inputs, always appreciated. More knowledge on a subject always better.