Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Gary C

Default Moving Battery?

I'd like to put dual exhausts on my 35, but the 6 volt battery is in the way. My thought is to have the battery in a nice clean box in the trunk and remove the rusty cradle under the floor. Will this cause any negative issues? Thanks for any info. Gary C
Gary C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
russcc

Default Re: Moving Battery?

Good idea putting it in the trunk. Did that in the nroadster. You may want to use a battery switch on the negative cable. The heavier the cable, the better. The negative should go to a transmission bolt, and the plus to the solenoid.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

A pipe can be made to go around the battery. I did it on my 36 10 yrs ago. Its a little tricky but can be done. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Shadetree

On my `35 the left exhaust pipe was against the battery when I put duals on it. It did not cause any issues but I worried about it. So I tried using an Optima and still couldn't position it to keep it away from the exhaust. I bit the bullet and put the Optima under the hood on the frame passenger side using existing holes to mount the bracket. I put a disconnect switch on it and it is so handy having the battery there. It isn't kosher but I feel a lot better about it.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Ford coupe

On my 36 coupe with rumble i put the seat back as far as it would go and bolted a boat battery box to the floor behind seat on driver side.. i drilled a hole each side of box at the front for the cables to go down through installed battery and top of battery box and it is hardly visible even with rumble up..Now i suppose yours is not a coupe..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

If I move the battery in my '35 5w coupe, I will probably go with an engine compartment mounting as Shadetree suggests. I would do a box mount on passenger side, top of frame, near firewall. This would be a clip on/bolt mount to frame with no cutting or drilling of the frame. This would give a short cable run with easy access to battery (6V Red Top Optima).

PS...just ordered an Optima 6V Red Top battery tonight on Amazon.com at $115.00 with free shipping. That's $10.00 less than I paid for one in 2010.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-23-2013 at 02:07 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
G.M.

Here's a 34 P/U and 35 roadster I moved. The battery in back is not good, long cables and hard to service. The round hole in the left side of the frame has to be elongated like the right side to get the exhaust through. I don't like the pipe dipping under the frame. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPTIMA BATTERY BOX 34.jpg (57.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg OPTIMA 35 Roadster.JPG (57.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by G.M.; 02-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Brendan

if you take you car to a good muffler shop they can do it with the battery in the original place. I have a 36 pickup with duel exhaust ,and the battery in the stock place. one day I was driving my pickup and stopped at a store to get something, then came back to my truck. there was a puddle of water in a weird location , right under the floor board, where your feet rest. so I climbed under too look, the battery had slid over to the header pipe and had a hole melted in it, bad movie! then I figured that I better get home. after I got home I left the motor running pulled the floorboard and removed the battery and gave the underside a baking soda bath. what I ended up doing is I took some angle iron and mounted it to the side of the battery box and sliced some 1/4 fuel hose to protect the battery. other then that trouble what was my own stupid fault I have had no trouble with the battery

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
33cabriolet

I had a local muffler shop make up the exhaust on My 33 the pipe was routed past the battery it had about 1" clearance,I made a shield that mounted to the battery box.It's worked for 20 years . John
33cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Gary C

Thanks to all of you. Great information, and good ideas. This is a very helpful forum. Cheers, Gary C
Gary C is offline   Reply With Quote