Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Fullfendered

Default How do I remove these column drops?

Want to remove these column drops and clean them up. How do I remove them from tube and how do I remove lock cylinder? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Fullfendered; 06-11-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Fullfendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: How do I remove these column drops?

Take the bolt out that clamps the column drop together. Then you can take a screwdriver or small pry bar and spread the column drop a little. The rest is just sliding the drop off the tube. From my experience it takes a small bit of force, a few taps with small hammer and drift perhaps. While you have it apart now is the time to clean it up and spray some fresh paint on the tube. On the lock.....I think there is a pin to drill out that hold the lock cylinder in place but it's been too long, others will correct me.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Take the bolt out that clamps the column drop together.
Easier said than done. They have a break-away head, so there's nothing to grab onto. Probably need to sneak up on it with a drill. Some guys probably soak them for quite a while, drill a small hole halfway in, then use an easy-out. But if they have any amount of rust I'd bet you'd need to drill all the way through that bolt.

Or it may be a good oportunity to try the "weld-a-nut-to-it" method discussed in another thread regarding head studs.

Then, if the lock is rusted closed you'll have another problem getting it off the steering shaft.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
PeteVS

I'm working on a '32 and I was able to remove the "break off head" bolt by cutting a slot in it using a Dremel tool with a very worn down cut off wheel. I tried to get the wheel just small enough that it would cut into the bolt head without putting too much of a notch in the surrounding metal. Once I had a slot in the head, it came out easily with a regular screw driver.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
32phil

Drill the "break away bolt'' for an east out. I have done a bunch and they usually come right out. The locking pin must be up for the drop to slide off so....turn the key or drill the lock cyl. holding pin out. The cyl. should have a number for the key, if you don't have the key... I ( surprise!!!) can cut one for ya!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Fullfendered

Seth, Alchemy, PeteVS, 32phil, thank you one and all.

32phil, I'll remember than when I get them apart.
Fullfendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Andy

I drill a series of 1/16 holes across the face of the pinch bolt. A little sideways action with a drill will produce a slot. I can reuse the bolts this way.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I drill a series of 1/16 holes across the face of the pinch bolt. A little sideways action with a drill will produce a slot. I can reuse the bolts this way.
Andy, I'm with you on your method of making a screw driver slot by drilling a series of small holes inline across what's left of that break off bolt. A broken easy out in that bolt head will make you never want to use an easy out again!! After I break through the material between the holes to create a slot, I give that bolt a couple jolts with a hand held impact driver to get it to turn some and then finish removing with a regular flat blade screw driver. I also reuse the slotted head bolt if it is not a car that will be judged at shows. Once you drill a hole for an easy out and then use an easy out to remove it, it's unlikely that you would want to think about reusing that bolt.
Also, attempting to completely drill that bolt out as someone else suggested would most likely damage the threads in the drop causing even more problems.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Rem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I'm working on a '32 and I was able to remove the "break off head" bolt by cutting a slot in it using a Dremel tool with a very worn down cut off wheel. I tried to get the wheel just small enough that it would cut into the bolt head without putting too much of a notch in the surrounding metal. Once I had a slot in the head, it came out easily with a regular screw driver.
Exactly what I do, although the last one I did was from an older-restoration '34 and I had to resort to the weld-a-nut-on method to get it to move. Once it was out I just ground off the nut and cleaned up my failed slot for re-use.

Don't know why, but it still amazes me that cars had steering locks 80 years ago!

EDIT: A small tip on welding the nut on is to build up a small blob of weld on the end of the bolt first, and then drop the nut over it and weld to that. As well as helping locate the nut, the initial heat directly on the bolt helps free up things.
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote