Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
burly

Default Stolen Parts Kentucky

Hey guys, had a old barn back on the place cleaned out a couple weeks ago. Guys cut the interstate fence and eased right out onto the parkway. Working with local law enforcement but probably long gone. Here's a list of what I remember so far:

1. 1937 Ford rolling chassis with complete running gear, 21 stud (damaged front crossmember)
2. 1938 Ford frame with banjo rear end (rotten uprights)
3. 46 - 48 V8 Radiator
4. 59 AB block main caps missing and 1 cylinder sleeved
5. 1948 Ford Truck Bed Trailer (Light Green)
6. 6 or 7 HP Fairbanks Moorse Engine
7. 1938 Ford front axle assembly (spring, wishbone and spindles attached)

Allot of it junk but I'd like to have it back. Some free advice, if you have a storage building out of sight of your home, buy a cheap deer camera a learn how to use it, might save you some heartburn. If by chance any of you guys were or are approached to buy what you thought might be this stuff I'd sure appreciate a heads up but probably a needle in a haystack. Thanks fella's!
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Stolen Parts Kentucky

I'd be calling the local scrap yards. This happens a lot and typically it is only for the scrap value.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Sounds like mostly large heavy items. Wondering how they managed to get those items hauled out of the barn and loaded?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
the cooch

Start with- "who even knew that stuff was back there?" then go to "who needs the money?" - after that, unfortunately, you might be stuck with "damn, I used to like that guy!" Good luck, I love all my rusty junk too! - Chris
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

Real sorry to hear about this Dwight. Just damn! I hope my dogs provide adequate protection but it would be my luck they would jump in the offenders truck and go with them.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
burly

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I'd be calling the local scrap yards. This happens a lot and typically it is only for the scrap value.
Yeah Kube, that's what I figured too. After reporting it stolen I made myself a flyer and dropped copies off at surrounding recyclers.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Real sorry to hear about this Dwight. Just damn! I hope my dogs provide adequate protection but it would be my luck they would jump in the offenders truck and go with them.
Thanks John. You may have to start stirring a little gunpowder in their Alpo. (Not really folks!)
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

I have had this happen twice in the past 3 years. It is sold for scrap, much less than it's parts value. These people just want quick money. The only way to stop it is to lock down every door and window. Then buy a bunch of those trail camera's deer hunters use to photograph deer and wildlife. Put up no tresspassing signs (for legal reasons) and light up the area as much as possible. Stay vigilant.

I actually caught two people on camera, breaking and entering. One was a juvenile, the other was 20 years old and had a prior felony record. The 20 year old is now serving time in Menard prison in Illinois. My trail camera video and photo's were used against him in court. That and his prior record landed his ass in prison.

Even if they get your stuff and you get them on camera, it will warm your heart to know you have evidence and it will be used against them in court. Stealing is a terrible crime, it's not murder but it must have been thought bad enough to make the ten commadments list. Now, go get these sob's even if you have to bait them to the camera.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 09-12-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Yeah Kube, that's what I figured too. After reporting it stolen I made myself a flyer and dropped copies off at surrounding recyclers.
Oh, the recyclers are criminals too. They are run by a bunch of folks who don't care, know they are buying stolen property and will deny it all the way to court. In the St. Louis and metro east area many of the recyclers are owned and operated by organized crime. Not all but most.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Oh, the recyclers are criminals too. They are run by a bunch of folks who don't care, know they are buying stolen property and will deny it all the way to court. In the St. Louis and metro east area many of the recyclers are owned and operated by organized crime. Not all but most.
Thanks Seth, I figured my flyer ended up in file 13 shortly after my departure at some of the places I stopped but I gave it a shot.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Oh Seth, you are so correct about the recyclers being (often) part of the crime.
It sickened me years ago when my Dad's (WWII) bronze star was stolen from his grave. Turned out nearly all the bronze stars in this particular grave yard had been stolen. The VFW had replaced them a number of times. A number of times, they were (again) stolen. Now? Well, the "bronze" stars are plastic.
Not only did some POS steal from a grave, some other POS cashed them in for scrap.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
B-O-B

I was @ a recyclers yard ,a few years back, looking for a piece of scrap aluminum & ran across a complete grave marker bigger in size than a small TV screen cast in bronze. The yard is now out of business.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
blucar

It does not matter much where you live, crime/theft is a problem..
One of my daughters and her husband own a large farm in Montana.. The purchased the adjoining farm several years ago, had a guy living on the adjoining farm for several years, not for the past couple of years..
Any chance we get to buy/pickup old cars and trucks, we grab them, we haul them out to the adjoining farm so as to not clutter up the "home place". have quite a collection, some as old as Model T's..
I was up at my daughters in June, I have a pretty nice '59 Ford 4x, '49 Chevy, '29 Durant, to name just a few up there. I needed some parts off of the '49 Chevy so I loaded my tools in to a pickup and went on a harvesting mission.
After I had gathered up the parts I needed I wondered around taking stock of things. As I was looking over the '59 4x I noted that the rear wheels were off of the truck. At first I thought my son in law or one of his sons might have needed a tire wheel. I noted something was amiss with the rear end, the third member gone from the Ford 9".
When I returned to the home ranch I mentioned the missing third member to my son in law. He told me that during the past couple of years they had experience a lot of theft. Someone had the nerve to remove the Edelbrok carb/manifold, HEI ign and heads off of a '71 Chevy 4x he had sitting in the shop of the unoccupied farm, while they were at it they took all of the tools out of the shop..
My daughter had security cameras installed at various location around their property..
Old 09-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
Tinker

Sorry to hear.

This wasn't a crime of opportunity. It as planned. You don't just walk off with a 7 HP Fairbanks morse or a full rolling chassis. You need some equipment to make that happen.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
roadster36
BANNED

Many years ago when I was in school we were taught that many crimes like this were "inside" jobs. That is, people you know, people you had work for you, friends of the family, etc. It is sad to say but I found it to be true.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Oh Seth, you are so correct about the recyclers being (often) part of the crime.
It sickened me years ago when my Dad's (WWII) bronze star was stolen from his grave. Turned out nearly all the bronze stars in this particular grave yard had been stolen. The VFW had replaced them a number of times. A number of times, they were (again) stolen. Now? Well, the "bronze" stars are plastic.
Not only did some POS steal from a grave, some other POS cashed them in for scrap.
Kube, that is dispicable. To steal the bronze marker from a veterans grave perhaps takes the lowest form of person. Then to have the recycler buy what they know is a stolen bronze marker from these individuals.......that gets me pissed. There is a special place for these folks, they will be judged. I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that experience.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 09-12-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Thanks Seth, I figured my flyer ended up in file 13 shortly after my departure at some of the places I stopped but I gave it a shot.
Burly, you did the right thing with the flyers. I hope you recover some items and if nothing else these folks will eventually be caught. If not for the crime commited against you but for another. They will keep stealing and eventually they will be caught. Keep up your efforts, don't let it get you down. Stay vigilant... it paid off for me. My dad uncovered some of the stolen property at a nearby salvage yard upon a visit. I made the trip there to call them out on it and they were visted by the authorities. When I was done with Metro East Salvage the manager even had the nerve to "ban" me from their business. As if I were going to do business with a company who was involved in a crime against me. That tells you the mindset and intelligence of the people working there alone.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
CC33

Quote:
Same thing occurred here in Massachusetts earlier this year. WWI WWII graves were robbed for the memorial placards and stars.
My God, some generation we now have...
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
FL&WVMIKE

They wil do anyting for their meth, etc.
MIKE (mikeburch)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 09-16-2014 at 11:21 AM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #20
Chris/Mass

From time to time manhole covers and catch basin grates will disappear in this area. Nobody should accept those unless some sort of ID or official document is presented. There was a bridge in Lowell that was recently rebuilt and it took almost two years before someone noticed that a 3x5 foot bronze commemorative plaque had gone missing.
Chris/Mass is offline   Reply With Quote