Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Duaohram p-plates With Flatheads

As some of you know I've got a build thread on the HAMB of a 32 5-window with a 364 Nailhead and a 5-speed. I am using Cornhuskers 39 Ford setup using the stock styled rod, arm, and original t-out bearing carrier. The t-out bearing I am using and how I am using it is what I wanted to discuss here.

Since I want to match the diaphragm p-plate I am using to the T-out bearing that matches it and I am placing it just in front of the stock 39 Ford t-out bearing carrier and out a few tac welds to hold the unit together. Presently I am just leaning on the multiple fingers of diaphragm in my setup and I will shave off the front of the carrier about 1/4" for clearance. My point to all of this is the following as I would like to pass it on to y'all for Flatheads ...

We have read the usage of diaphragm p-plates on flatties with T5s especially with original p-plates getting hard to find, the aftermarket units having issues, and other various issues. So, if using a T5 with a diaphragm p-plate you can use an early 90s Camaro T-out bearing right in front of the carrier and just shave off the front of the carrier to give you the 1/4" of clearance, same pedal setup, etc. I know the newer p-plates are also easier to depress and that's great in traffic and parades.

I will add some pics soon if this is of interest to anyone ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
Ggmac

Default Re: Duaohram p-plates With Flatheads

Sounds interesting . I'm about to start on a project and this may help .
Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Tom, what is the inside diameter on the pressure plate you are using (the area between the fingers)? I have been looking at using a 5.0 pressure plate but haven't gotten to far into it.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
rick r

The original Ford t out bearing will work with the diaphragm pressure plate. Requires a bushing to match the bearing to the snout of the T5 trans. I just redrilled my flywheel to take a Blazer pressure plate. Another option is to sleeve the snout of the T5 trans up to the size of the Ford t out bearing
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
38bill

Rick, What pressure plates are you using? I couldn't find one that fit the large dia stock Ford TO bearing. I ended up modifying a smaller Chevy bearing.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
rick r

38bill- I am using a mid 80's blazer p plate and disc on my 8BA. Disc is 9 11/16 dia. Also have a T5 behind a nailhead. Am using a 10 inch Centerforce p plate and the same 9 11/16 blazer disc. Am using the stock S10 release brg. on the nailhead.
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
38bill

Tom, we want photos please!
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
TomT/Williamsburg

I am using a Camaro 10.5" p-plate but with a Ford clutch disk of the same size to match my T5Z tranny. I have not yet done this for a flathead but I want to the next time the roadster (avatar) tranny is pulled. I know there are many different ways to skin a cat but I just wanted to put it out there. Tomorrow I will put out what pics I can do at the moment through the inspection hole in the adapter, another Cornhuskers piece, as everything is together in a mock up phase. You can take a look at my build on the HAMB as the link is listed in my signature ....

Btw, the 9 11/16" clutch disk for the 10" T5 setup is a much better unit than the aftermarket disks being sold. Had one in my old 40 coupe and the clutch never chattered. Put an afternarket one in and all I get is chatter. That's just my opinion ...
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
Krylon32

I used to sell a diaphragm PP with the number CA30 that I got at NAPA which worked with the early Ford TO brg. Haven't been able to get them for a while.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #10
john in illinois

I am thinking of using a diaphragm clutch in my roadster. The CA30 number is now 360030

.http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....760&pk=6083610

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

The Rock auto p-plate definitely looks like it could use the stock t-out bearing. Until I take my motor and trans out, these are all the pics I have ....

Again, I throw this out there as a possibility. For those who have big inch, blown, injected, etc Flatheads, this ight be something to consider.

The pic through the inspection hole shows the t-out bearing just touching the fingers of the p-plate. Once apart I will shave the carrier. The t-out bearing pictured is what I am using. It's by Centerforce. The p-plate is a mid 90s hipo unit for a V8 5-speed and is 10.5 inches to match the bolt pattern and requirement of my flywheel.

The last pic is of my clutch linkage .... not much room there for adjustment so I had to extend the pedal arm towards the rear. I even modified an old spoon pedal setup to mount to the inside of the firewall and a rod and ball end connector goes out to my carb. I digress but I try and use as much old stuff if have lying around as I can.

I will provide more info when I can ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20180216_111642-2.jpg (50.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg rps20180212_194003-2.jpg (69.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg rps20180215_182026-2.jpg (65.2 KB, 29 views)