Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2022, 11:35 PM   #1
Lawrie

Default Mitchell overdrive

Any one using the Mitchell and using the 3.54 rear end gears,
I have one coming for my 28 ccpu ,and would like to know how strong an engine you will need with the 3.54 rear end gears.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:21 AM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Mitchell overdrive

Lawrie, I considered a 3.54 gear set with my Burtz engine and decided to wait. I'm happy I did. In fact, I am beginning to question whether I need the O/D at all with the new engine. It revs so freely and smoothly that if I were cruising at say, 55 mph in O/D, the car is now happy in ordinary 3rd gear and "singing" in a higher key at that speed. I have a virtually new 3.54 set on the shelf and if I don't use them in another of my cars, they will likely sit there for who knows how long.
How strong an engine? There have been a couple of times when I have forgotten to take the car out of O/D when I stopped and taken off in high first with the camper behind. Sure, it didn't make my cheeks go baggy when I pressed the accelerator but it did it. That engine was not as powerful as the one in your P/U but might have had more grunt t the bottom end.
A 3.54 diff and O/D is a pretty high ratio - about the same as using 5.25X21 tyres on the rear of a 3.78 diff. I run that on my tourer and it gallops along. Your engine will handle it easily.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:03 AM   #3
Lawrie

Yes , no drama as I have a set of good original 3.78 gears.
I ment to tell you, you know you would be able to get .001 or .002 under bearings.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:14 AM   #4
updraught

So how do you think a 3.27 diff would go with a Burtz?

I think it gives 15% taller in all gears.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #5
dennis lumbert

I have a 30 Tudor with a AER touring engine with 5.5 head,V8 wheels 600-16 tires,3.54 gears..I like this combination very much.Not to many steep hills in my area but has no problem with them.I would have stayed with 3.78 gears with a stock engine.
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #6
nkaminar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I am very happy with my Burtz engine, Mitchell overdrive, and 3.78 rear end. In overdrive it is like having a 3.0 rear end (about). I use second overdrive a lot in the hills were I live. I think 3.54 gears would be too tall.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I ment to tell you, you know you would be able to get .001 or .002 under bearings.
L, I didn't know that but I'll keep it in mind for when the day comes that I need to do something. At the moment, it is going well.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
Dale'45

Lawrie,
Running 3.54 gears and a 26% overdrive gives you about a 2.60 final gear. I run a 3.78 gear with a 26% Mitchell and is a great combination with a stock engine. Mine would not like any taller gears. Cruises nice at 50 mph plus. Dale
Dale'45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #9
ModelA29

3.78 and the 26% OD gives you 66 mph at 2200 rpm. Direct is 53 mph.
1800 is 55 mph in OD.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #10
Keith True

I went to put a Mitchell in my coupe,and found it had 3.54's.I put it in anyway,and it performs fine.I forget and drive it around a lot in high.I do find myself touching 60 quite a lot.Not sure how accurate my speedo is,at some point it will interest me enough to check it out.The previous owner thought it had a Brumfield head on it,at least that was what he was told when he bought it.It pulls fine.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #11
MrBruce

Getting ready to do the Mitchell and have wondered about the 3:54 gears with a stock engine? I just picked up my engine and am debating putting the 6.0 head on it or just leave it stock? I have another rear end that I need to pickup this week and I think it's been gone through and is probably 3:78, so just need to decide if I need the HC head or just leave it stock with the overdrive and 3:78 gears?
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #12
walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
Getting ready to do the Mitchell and have wondered about the 3:54 gears with a stock engine? I just picked up my engine and am debating putting the 6.0 head on it or just leave it stock? I have another rear end that I need to pickup this week and I think it's been gone through and is probably 3:78, so just need to decide if I need the HC head or just leave it stock with the overdrive and 3:78 gears?
There’s no reason other than the cost of purchase to not use a high compression head.
Use a Snyder’s head and B carb if you want to look stock.
It’s a noticeable difference in performance.
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #13
Lawrie

OK , thanks for the info, I will take a chance and leave the 3.54 in and see how it goes, my engine is good, 6.2 head, 97 carb, and a stipe cam , its a Burtz engine .
Its only a few days work to change out the 3.54 gears for the 3.78 if I,m not happy with them
The Overdrive is a few months away , but will keep you posted how iy=t goes when it arrives.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B6C61D26-5808-436D-90A9-AD0EC9C9125D.jpg (69.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-09-2022, 06:56 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
OK , thanks for the info, I will take a chance and leave the 3.54 in and see how it goes, my engine is good, 6.2 head, 97 carb, and a stipe cam , its a Burtz engine .
Its only a few days work to change out the 3.54 gears for the 3.78 if I,m not happy with them
The Overdrive is a few months away , but will keep you posted how iy=t goes when it arrives.
Lawrie
Lawrie, with that set up and on roads like that, please don't go past Mach 1.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:10 PM   #15
TerryH

I have a 1930 Town Sedan, and had a Mitchell OD installed about 14 years ago, along with the 5.5 HC head, and it has the 3.78 rear end. The 4 doors are the heaviest Model A’s, and I would not recommend the 3.54 with the Mitchell, without some serious engine mods. Mine pulls the OD nicely…..very glad I did the 5.5 head too.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #16
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Lawrie, with that set up and on roads like that, please don't go past Mach 1.
Do not lower windows at speeds in excess of 250kph.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #17
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Lawrie, I considered a 3.54 gear set with my Burtz engine and decided to wait. I'm happy I did. In fact, I am beginning to question whether I need the O/D at all with the new engine. It revs so freely and smoothly that if I were cruising at say, 55 mph in O/D, the car is now happy in ordinary 3rd gear and "singing" in a higher key at that speed. I have a virtually new 3.54 set on the shelf and if I don't use them in another of my cars, they will likely sit there for who knows how long.
How strong an engine? There have been a couple of times when I have forgotten to take the car out of O/D when I stopped and taken off in high first with the camper behind. Sure, it didn't make my cheeks go baggy when I pressed the accelerator but it did it. That engine was not as powerful as the one in your P/U but might have had more grunt t the bottom end.
A 3.54 diff and O/D is a pretty high ratio - about the same as using 5.25X21 tyres on the rear of a 3.78 diff. I run that on my tourer and it gallops along. Your engine will handle it easily.
So can I ask....what if you never had an overdrive in the car behind your Burtz? Do you think you would eventaully snap a rod? With pressurized oiling on a scat crank don't you take the dipper tray out, and the rod caps have no dipper?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
So can I ask....what if you never had an overdrive in the car behind your Burtz? Do you think you would eventaully snap a rod? I don't think snapping one of these rods is going to happen under about 6,000 revs. With pressurized oiling on a scat crank don't you take the dipper tray out, and the rod caps have no dipper? It depends which rods you are using. Unless the crankshaft were drilled for oil to the rods, the dipper tray would stay in there and the dippers on the rods would supply the oil to the big ends. In the Burtz engine, the crank is drilled so the rods are pressure fed While the dipper tray in theory would not be required, it is recommended that it be left there so that the rods will throw up a good oil mist to help lubricate other things like bores and valve gear.
My response is in red.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:02 PM   #19
Gene F

Thanks Syncro.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:14 PM   #20
ModelA29

I would think the dipper tray acts as a windage tray in an engine with pressurized rod bearings.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...o-we-fight-it/

The idea behind a windage tray is that they provide a physical barrier between the violently moving crank with the oil it's throwing everywhere, and the oil supply, while still allowing oil to move back into the oil supply in a smoother, calmer manner.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote