Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
8EL

Default Training Wheels

So you removed the rear differential from your car, how can it be moved for storage until you have finished repairs and are ready to reinstall? That is if you do not have enough shop space (like most of us) to leave it sit in place....

I built a simple little fixture that bolts onto the rear bumper mounting springs with very little disassembly. The car can now be moved where ever needed until it is ready to reassemble.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trainingwheels.jpg (111.8 KB, 148 views)
8EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:32 PM   #2
Model "A" Fords

Default Re: Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8EL View Post
So you removed the rear differential from your car, how can it be moved for storage until you have finished repairs and are ready to reinstall? That is if you do not have enough shop space (like most of us) to leave it sit in place....

I built a simple little fixture that bolts onto the rear bumper mounting springs with very little disassembly. The car can now be moved where ever needed until it is ready to reassemble.....

8EL, that is a great Idea!
I also need room. My car is under restoration and it rolls well, so that part is good. 8EL, have you come up with an idea of how to store it when there is no room to move it to?
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #3
8EL

I live in the Midwest, so getting it out of the weather is important, especially if bare metal is a reality in the work being under taken. Having it mobil allows it to be rolled out of the shop when working on other tasks on nice days.

That said there has to be some other weather tight place to put it. These storage containers being sold look to be a good option. I bought a "one trip" unit a couple of years ago for $5,000.00. It was in near pristine shape, was instant storage availability, was weather tight, and more importantly was rodent proof having nice big heavy gaskets on the positively locking doors.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:58 PM   #4
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
I live in the Midwest, so getting it out of the weather is important, especially if bare metal is a reality in the work being under taken. Having it mobil allows it to be rolled out of the shop when working on other tasks on nice days.

That said there has to be some other weather tight place to put it. These storage containers being sold look to be a good option. I bought a "one trip" unit a couple of years ago for $5,000.00. It was in near pristine shape, was instant storage availability, was weather tight, and more importantly was rodent proof having nice big heavy gaskets on the positively locking doors.

What size was the storage container, does your car fit? Do you heat it? I was told to store my car in a heated place so it didn't get exposed to fluctuating temperatures, causing condensation and rust on unprotected parts.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:04 AM   #5
Bruce of MN

If it was adjustable, it could work as wheelie bars after you finish the work.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:03 AM   #6
old31

Quote:

How many feet is your 1 trip?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:41 AM   #7
8EL

"one trip" refers to the container not the car. So I guess if you wanted to you could figure how many feet between China and here.

Other units after making the trip over are sent back for another trip, and so accumulate additional wear and tear in so doing. The advantage of the "one trip" units then become obvious....
Old 10-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #8
8EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
What size was the storage container, does your car fit? Do you heat it? I was told to store my car in a heated place so it didn't get exposed to fluctuating temperatures, causing condensation and rust on unprotected parts.
The inside dimension on mine is 7'-3" x 20'-0" x 8"-0" height. The model A would fit but getting out yourself after running in is kinda tight. I suppose you could line it up and push it in carefully to avoid this drawback, but it is out of the weather.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:19 AM   #9
History

My cousin was showing me his open cab pickup which was nicely restored and I told him about the possibility of condensation, I lifted the hood and the engine was soaked. Containers are better than sitting outside but depending on where you are located can destroy your vehicle over time.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 11:29 AM   #10
8EL

There are small vents on mine, probably to prevent the build up of explosive gasses. The doors are very nicely gasketed, but the vents would allow moisture in as well as out but not of any large volume. All buildings have air infiltration, leaky old barns have a lot.

Condensation issues are a problem in the spring when the usually very moist comparably warmer outdoor air comes into contact with all that cold Iron which has not yet been warmed by the warming climatic conditions. So if the building, or the storage container is not heated be sure and leave the doors closed until things have had a chance to warm up. Either enclosure pose the same problem..

To control this problem a space needs to be heated. In my heated shop, heating equipment is controlled by ambient temperature, and approaching high humidity threshold reset of set point to control this issue. I never have any problems with any of my machine tools this way, but the shop is not big enough for all my toys like the most of us...