Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
qmdv

Default New Auto Meter Speedometer

For my 32 Roadster with flathead and 39 box I am into the project enough to order a speedometer. I do not want a 160 mph version. I found this AutoMeter model 1779 that looks pretty cool https://www.autometer.com/3-3-8-spee...yme-black.html. Couple it with there model 5291 sencer
https://www.autometer.com/hall-effec...er-sender.html It says for GM and Chrysler but it has the correct thread.

Has anybody used one of these. Seems straightforward
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
glennpm

Default Re: New Auto Meter Speedometer

Hi,

If you're using an original type dash insert, the diameter of this speedometer is too large. The hole in the instrument plate is about 2-13/16" ID.

I was looking for alternatives a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find one and did look at the same one you're looking at.

I was fortunate get my 32 Waltham speedo repaired by Harry Warburton and it works great now. Harry did a great guy, fast turnaround and reasonable. His number is 252-258-153.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
qmdv

Default Re: New Auto Meter Speedometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Hi,

If you're using an original type dash insert, the diameter of this speedometer is too large. The hole in the instrument plate is about 2-13/16" ID.

I was looking for alternatives a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find one and did look at the same one you're looking at.

I was fortunate get my 32 Waltham speedo repaired by Harry Warburton and it works great now. Harry did a great guy, fast turnaround and reasonable. His number is 252-258-153.
I do have an old SW that is 3 3/8. This is going into a street rod so i will be using a hole saw in a Brookville dash. Maybe I should just get a cable to make the connection to the SW
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote