Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Henry/Kokomo

Default Steering box issue

I'm in the process of building up an F-1 steering box to go in an AV8 roadster. I had the roller on the sector shaft replaced by a fellow "Barner" and that now works superbly. I got all new bearings and gaskets for the box as well as bushings and an oil seal for the sector shaft. I installed the steering shaft with the worm gear and everything feels fine. As soon as I install the rebuilt sector shaft, the steering shaft turns smoothly until it reaches the end of the sector's travel at which time it turns hard in the reverse direction. Am I doing something wrong or is the worm screwed up in some fashion? Any advice or prior experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Steering box issue

Just wanted to be sure that you aren't calling the "end of the sectors travel" the midpoint of the steering (pointed straight ahead) as it is not supposed to have any slop at that position and if it is not properly adjusted it will get hard when you reach the center. Don't force it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Joe31

the mounting pad needs to be moved closer to box or V8 wont fit. did you do this before rebuild. just wondering. Joe
Joe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
Henry/Kokomo

Charlie - I probably didn't properly explain the symptoms. The steering box is cleaned and on the workbench.

I installed the steering shaft. It turns freely in both directions with no binding, wobble or any other detectable problem. Next, I installed the sector shaft at what I estimated the midpoint of travel to be -ie the wheels would be pointed straight ahead. After the sector shaft was installed, the steering shaft turned easily in either direction to the end of its travel. After reaching the end of travel - wheels cut sharply to the right or left - the steering shaft turns much harder in the opposite direction as in straightening the wheels up after making a sharp turn.

I have not proceeded further with the assembly as this scenario seemed wrong and I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for your input. Its much appreciated.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Henry/Kokomo

Joe - The steering box was modified so that location in the chassis shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the "heads up". Can't have too many people checking your work.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Have you adjusted the box for the centered position, ie no further detectable play of the sector in centered position? Any position off center allows a fair amount of play in the sector shaft. The box can be more easily adjusted when it is installed with steering components (front wheels) off the shop floor. The spindles are what set the stops of your system. The box on the bench has no stops. It just hits the end of the worm gear in each direction.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
flatheadmurre

Adjusting it would be done first tensioning the roller bearings without sectorshaft engaging.
When you have enough pretension on the bearings you should have a sertain force turning the wheel 1.5lbs if i remember right.
Then after adding the sector shaft you should have 2.5lbs or something like that when its properly adjusted.
Donīt take my word for the numbers !!
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
john in illinois

Henry, do you have the box completely assembled when it binds up. If the sector is not adjusted by the screw in the end plate it might move in and bind when turned back from end travel.

Here is a good adjustment guide if you don't already have it .

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...stmt-notes.htm

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
Henry/Kokomo

John -

The box was not completely assembled. Thanks a million for the adjustment guide. Its a big help.

Regards,