Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2022, 06:52 AM   #1
Lenny Bruce

Default Fan Blade

Hello all! I’m new to the Model A owner list. Just purchased a 1930
Tudor. It’s in great condition just needs some little things. I’m going to replace the
Water pump to the leaks less type. My question is what fan blade would be best?
All my research so far is all over the board. Also the radiator is pretty crusty guessing it’s original or darn near. Are their any recommendations on a some what affordable replacement? So glad your all here to help. Also if you would mind email would be so great if anyone would care too. [email protected] Thank You!
Lenny Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #2
TerryO

Default Re: Fan Blade

One of the aluminum 2 blade fans available from any of the Model A vendors.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #3
chrs1961815

Definetely one of the two blade aluminum fans, they won't come apart.
An affordable replacement radiator doesn't exist, it is all or nothing. You can sit around modifying some other radiator or you can buy a new one from brassworks. Or if you have a shop that can do it they can restore whatever radiator you have (assuming it is repairable and is not a bad a replacement style one).
Old 06-01-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
WHN

There are a few things on a Model A that have to be done right. One is your cooling system.

Leak less water pump, two blade aluminum fan, and a new correct radiator. If this is done, you can now move on to other things and not have to worry about over heating.

On my list of other must be done right things. Brakes, front end, springs, and correct shocks.

The rest of your car is just fluff.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #5
Lenny Bruce

Thanks fella’s I’ll take your advice for certain!
Old 06-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #6
Mulletwagon

Be aware that putting an aluminum fan/hub unit on the pump is often accommpanied with some interference between the inner hub and the pump snout - very common. The fix is to file down the high spots on the pump to gain clearance. A preliminary fit check will tell the story. Good luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:42 AM   #7
old31

Mullett is correct. I just installed a new 2 blade and pump and it was amazing how much of the pump snout I had to grind off for the fan to fit.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #8
Lenny Bruce

Wow good to know thanks a million!
Old 06-02-2022, 08:32 AM   #9
CT Jack

I agree with the recommendations made about the fan and pump. If you know of a quality radiator repair shop near you I would remove the radiator and have it professionally checked and cleaned before buying a new radiator. If the cooling tubes in the core can be cleared of any blockage and the brass is in good condition you should be able use your original. If the core is completely blocked or is not repairable then you could have new core installed using the original upper and lower cans or covers.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:18 PM   #10
Chris Haynes

A good way to clean your cooling system is to use RUST 911. A 1 gallon bottle of RUST 911 concentrate will make 16 gallons. Drain your cooling system and fill with the RUST 911 mixture. Leave it in for 24 hours. You can drive the car (recommended) with the mixture in it. When you drain it the clear mixture will now be black. Flush once more and refill with more RUST 911. Leave it in for another 24 hours. This time when you drain it will probably be light grey in color. Repeat one more time and it will probably drain clear. You will find they there is no rust anywhere in your cooling system. All the rust flakes in your radiator will be dissolved. No harm to gaskets or hoses. https://www.amazon.com/Rust911-16-ga...jaz10cnVl&th=1
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:02 PM   #11
Lenny Bruce

I took the Radiator to my local machine shop who Does radiator repair so fingers crossed it can be fixed! Thanks again for the advice greatly appreciated!
Old 06-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #12
wwirz

I would strongly consider going to the modern upper and lower plate in the distributor. It eliminates the wire under the upper plate which can short. Also moves the condenser to the top of the distributor which keeps the condenser cooler and not prone to a failure. I had many problems with the originl condenser replacements and location of the original condenser. Made the change to the modern plates and never had an issue with condenser failure.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:54 PM   #13
Sunny the Model A

Lenny, if you want the best cooling you can get, get a six-blade fan, I have one and it keeps it at 160 no matter the weather or traffic. I had my radiator rodded out even though it really didn't need it, it is best to have a good rad man look it over and pressure test it. I rebuilt my water pump in the winter, and it runs like a champion. just grease em and they will last the rest of your life.

Last edited by Sunny the Model A; 06-04-2022 at 07:55 PM. Reason: extra ideas for original persons question
Sunny the Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:20 AM   #14
1crosscut

Okay Lenny I'm going to put my two cents in.

Did you have a problem with your engine running too hot? Many old and original radiators that look crusty do just fine and cool well. Don't be in too much of a rush to replace it without knowing for sure that there is a problem with it.
Please tell the shop that is looking at your radiator to not pressure test it with more that a pound or two of pressure. If they do you will be replacing the radiator as they are not designed for pressure.

With your being new to Model A's I suggest that you get a dial meat thermometer that you can place directly into the coolant through the open radiator cap to see what the temperature is. Check the temperature often until you learn and feel comfortable with how the car is doing temperature wise.
Infrared ones are okay but the probe type ones tell the temp best.

As far as what fan to use go with the reproduction two blade aluminum one as most have suggested. The work very well and look correct. If you need to run a multi blade fan you have a cooling system problem that needs to be fixed.

Also don't fill your radiator all the way to the top. Doing so will cause it to push out coolant as it warms up and expands. Many new owners think their car is overheating because of this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2052.54af6933.jpg (5.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #15
Lenny Bruce

Wow thank you all so much! This advice is so helpful!!