Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #1
The Geezer

Default F100 Steering Box Installation Question

Hi All,
I just ordered an F100 Steering box to replace my original Steering box that is worn out. My question is since Randy Gross says that it is a "ready to bolt on/in" box, how difficult is the installation? Does the steering column need to be removed out of the car? I can't seem to visualize the installation ahead of me.
As a side note, Randy sure is a great guy to talk to. He gave me a couple of adjustment tips, before ordering, to try correcting my miserable hard steering, and save me the cost of the F100. Can't beat his honesty! The adjustments didn't work out..so off I go to another "Model A Adventure!
Regards to all, The Geezer
Old 10-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: F100 Steering Box Installation Question

The old steering column and the rest of the assembly has to be removed. You can get started before the new box arrives. The ease of removing and installing a new steering gear depends on what body model you have. With the open cars the whole assembly can be lifted out but with closed cars you have to remove the steering wheel first.

Make sure the pitman arm bolt is super tight. The center of the gear box will not be the same as the center of the wheels so you may have more turn on the front wheels going one way than the other. A custom drag link can be made by cutting and treading using left hand and right hand threads, like the tie rod, to center the steering box.

You may have to adjust the length of the control rods for the hand throttle and or the ignition by slightly bending the rods in a Z shape.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
The Geezer

Thanks for the reply. This will be a learning experience, but Randy said just call him if I run into a snag. Great guy and great service. Looking forward toeasy steering.
Regards, Keith the Geezer
Old 10-18-2022, 07:52 PM   #4
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geezer View Post
Hi All,
I just ordered an F100 Steering box to replace my original Steering box that is worn out. My question is since Randy Gross says that it is a "ready to bolt on/in" box, how difficult is the installation? Does the steering column need to be removed out of the car? I can't seem to visualize the installation ahead of me.
As a side note, Randy sure is a great guy to talk to. He gave me a couple of adjustment tips, before ordering, to try correcting my miserable hard steering, and save me the cost of the F100. Can't beat his honesty! The adjustments didn't work out..so off I go to another "Model A Adventure!
Regards to all, The Geezer
I replaced the 7 tooth steering box in my 29 tudor with a Randy Gross unit, and all went well. He modifies the 29 steering column so the F100 box will fit. I ordered it with new throttle, spark, and horn rods so everything just fit and worked.

BTW this will not make it feel like your model A has power steering, but it will feel more like a 30-31 2 tooth setup. Double check to make sure someone has not installed one of those stupid horizontal shock absorber "steering stabilizers" as a band-aid "fix" for a loose front end. The best thing I ever did is get rid of that crappy thing, and properly rebuild the front end. My 29 steers wonderfully, and I fear no bumpy road, or rail road crossing!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:17 PM   #5
ChicagoBob

Hardest part of installing my Gross steering box was removing the steering wheel from the old column. Otherwise, it really was just a bolt-in. The original horn rod, light switch, steering wheel and Pittman arm fit just like they did on the original steering column.

The spark and throttle rods shouldn't have to be bent, but you have to be careful to rotate the steering column housing to the correct position for the operation of the levers.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:30 PM   #6
The Geezer

Thanks to all for the great information. Installation went well and fit like a glove. Randy Gross is the best in quality and service.

Last edited by The Geezer; 11-09-2022 at 07:05 PM.
The Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
The Geezer

Thanks to all who replied with great information. My installation went well and fit like a glove. Randy Gross is the best in quality and service!
Old 11-09-2022, 04:44 PM   #8
daveymc29

If you want it to steer even better, got a newly made, not an old modified, shorter pitman arm. then you do have 2 finger steering as long as the vehicle is in motion. No change in turning radius that I have ever found and I have installed at least four on my cars.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:36 PM   #9
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
If you want it to steer even better, got a newly made, not an old modified, shorter pitman arm. then you do have 2 finger steering as long as the vehicle is in motion. No change in turning radius that I have ever found and I have installed at least four on my cars.
You don't need the short pitman with the F100 box.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:26 AM   #10
Model A Ron

I have an open car so I pulled it from the inside. If you have a closed car you will need to pull it from the hood. I would call the job a 6 out of a 10. Its not to bad at all and I love my F100 box. I rebuilt my 2 tooth in my 31 Victoria but for a 7 tooth like the one I had on m y 29 a F100 box is a no brainer. No regrets as all and I have ZERO play in the wheel.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #11
Dino's A

Randy's father Mel, installed this unit on my dad's Tudor sedan
back around 1994. Still works great.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:54 AM   #12
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
I have an open car so I pulled it from the inside. If you have a closed car you will need to pull it from the hood. I would call the job a 6 out of a 10. Its not to bad at all and I love my F100 box. I rebuilt my 2 tooth in my 31 Victoria but for a 7 tooth like the one I had on m y 29 a F100 box is a no brainer. No regrets as all and I have ZERO play in the wheel.

Ron
I Removed/Replaced mine in my Tudor from inside the car without issue.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote