Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Al Bass

Default pressure plate

I had my flywheel and pressure plate resurfaced and the pressure plate fingers had to be adjusted a lot to get them to the right height (now I dont think the springs are putting enough pressure on the plate). Now that my engine is getting broke in, it is developing more power and is making the clutch slip when I excellerate. I think I need a new pressure plate. should I find a good used one, order a rebuild or order a new one. are the new ones of good quality?
Al Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
eystein

Default Re: pressure plate

Al,

Did you remember to get the mounting flange of the flywheel (where the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel) machined to compensate for what was taken off the surface of the flywheel and pressure plate, this is very important for proper operation of the clutch.

Also, did you consult the proper instructions for measuring and adjusting the pressure plate ?

http://www.ocmafc.org/techarticles/T...ch%20Plate.pdf
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Great Lakes Greg

I'll always buy new. I put a used plate in my coupe that was a "good one" per my late father. It was junk and a LOT of labor could have been saved had I just gotten off my wallet. Imagine how I felt when I relized I had to do it all over again.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
jerry shook

Call james rogers at dream works he has a lightened pressure plate and a new clutch that works great . I put one my 31 s/w cranks so much easier . Easy to compress ,just works great.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Richard Lorenz

Fingers should be adjusted to 3/4 inch below pressure plate outer surface, with clutch disc in place. There seems to be some debate about the distance, but 3/4 seems to have come from Ford literature.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Al Bass

I adjusted the fingers to 11/16 (had to do a lot of adjusting to get to that point) and the flange was surfaced were the pressure plate sits. What is the measurment from the flange to the flywheel surface ? so I can measure it when I pull the engine. Thanks
Al Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Kevin in NJ

If you do go the route of the later pressure plate be sure you are getting the fly weight type. They have reduced spring pressure making the clutch easier to work.

Some shops are using the pressure plate for the tractor which does not have the fly weights. They have the heavy clutch spring and will work out your leg more.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote