Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Worst "A" restoration working conditions

They are predicting a big cool down here in CT tonight, so I figured I should set up for winter painting today. The 2 by 2's (picture 1) screwed to my garden tool room ceiling will define my "paint booth" once I staple plastic sheets to them!

Since I have no garage, the space where I work on my car is a small amount of my neighbor's garage which he kindly lets me use for free. (picture 2)

It occurred to me that I must not be the only one trying to restore a model A in less than the best working conditions.

There have been other threads where those lucky enough to have the space and resources have shared there garage, newly installed lift, etc. But nothing for us doing more with less.

So if you are restoring your A in under a leaky car port, or that big oak tree in the back yard, stand proud and share your work space with us!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 9.32.30 PM.jpg (42.9 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 9.31.53 PM.jpg (62.0 KB, 287 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Worst "A" restoration working conditions

why do you have to paint tomorrow. Why can't you wait for a warmer day. An old saying is " haste makes waste " ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Barber31

Not a leaky car port but barely enough room to have them sitting side by side. I'm glad I'm almost done. The garage is still a mess but at least there's more room now.

Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
ian Simpson

No pictures, but I do have a little better climate being in our heated front garage. The space is currently shared with our MGB which is next up on the work queue. Our space appears much more cramped than yours, although I do have control over it, and if necessary the MG leaves while I rebuild the rear axle and transmission..
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:16 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
Not a leaky car port but barely enough room to have them sitting side by side. I'm glad I'm almost done. The garage is still a mess but at least there's more room now.

Could be worse but not much! Wayne
Old 11-20-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
Chuck Sea/Tac

Not model A but pretty crappy working conditions. Had snow one day, and it took me about 40+ hrs. I think the hardest part was standing on my head.(sorry,don't know how to rotate)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0644.jpg (57.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0650.jpg (49.4 KB, 94 views)
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
bunnyc

I do. Here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rotate1.jpg (58.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg rotate2.jpg (50.1 KB, 102 views)
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
Barry B./ Ma.

I did 80% of my 29 coupe in a single stall garage then took a few monts off and constructed a 24 x 42 (4) stall barn with an upstairs attic back in 1981. The only thing I miss now is a 4 post lift but its not possible with the barn constructed the way it is. As I don't want to add another building and pay more taxes I will live with what there is. I do remember putting on the padded vinyl top on the 29 special coupe in the back yard on a sunny day and it did come out pretty nice.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

I have a good sized 2 car garage with 2 A s in it plus lots of crap I keep promising to sell and never get around to. After a life time of buying and selling, it turns out I hate it. I just can't bring myself to deal with some people! So I've got a lot of "stuff" and nowhere to store it. Painting? Fahgedaboutit! Not enough space to turn around! I did all my painting outside this spring, when it was just barely 60 degrees and no bugs.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

I remember restoring my A outside on November days, at that time only had wirebrush in a drill, we had 2 drills, one didn't get hot----I likked the one that got hot
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Bottom line is it is never so bad it can't be worse! If you can't stand it sell the car or the house. Complaining will get you nowhere except on the whiner list! Wayne
Old 11-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
DennisR

Beat this......................................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161120_144351.jpg (39.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
hardtimes

'things can be worse', is my way of looking at what life hands you and you have a good attitude for dealing with making lemonade out of 'lemons' !

Along same lines, I put all my '30 roadster parts, except rusted out body, on the ground in dirt rear yard. They stayed there while I worked them over, for two+ years.
The body sat on two 2x4 horses in front yard ,under a plastic blue tarp over same period. All work done with electric hand drill motor and sandpaper. I was a 'restorer' then, until I got to drive train. Then I became a pre-war young man , using equipment that was available then. Harbor freight 'sand gun', 5 gal bucket and paper mask. Made engine 'puller' out of tripod 2x4 and rope chain. Lots of fun then and lots of fun to drive now
When you do not have modern dudads, you become creative and remember what the farmers did to solve situations. Never thought that there was a problem or needed more. Hard work compensated and made up difference.

What I had going for me the most, was the socal weather....'it never rains in California' !

Last edited by hardtimes; 11-20-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: ..............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote