Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
Fred A

Default '40 Door Hinge Pins?

I have tried to remove the pins with the door on the car. I use the common hinge pin tool, Kroil, and the door itself as a lever. Both doors have been overextended so they do not close easily. I'm concerned that the tool will upset the pin and make things worse. Should I consider leaving things alone and making other adjustment to the door and body. Thanks: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 12-01-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: '40 Door Hinge Pins?

IMHO, hinge pins should be removed and lubricated annually. Helps prevent sticking the pin to the hinge. When the pin is not sticking then (and only then) the hinge pin pullers are a great tool for ease and to avoid damaging paint.

You may have to judge the benefits of a proper lubricated and working hinge vs keeping the paint and patina of the car...

The "over extension" you mention might have been a seized pin. If so the issue will progress to stress fracturing of the door hinge mounts both on the body and the door.

The first step is to saturate with penetrating oil, give this at least a week to work. Then remove the door from the body, grind off any portion of the hinge pin that is longer than the bottom of the hinge, and drive out the hinge with a punch.

The next level of escalation is to heat the knuckles of the hinge until they are just red hot. After cooling back to penetrating oil for a week, attempt to drive the pin out.

Often when a hinge pin seizes it will end up with a spiral fracture in the middle, when this happens attempting to press or drive the pin out will simply not work as the pin gets wedged tighter as the lower part starts to move. Now is the time to get out the drill. Start with the smallest bit you feel comfortable to drill out the middle of the pin. Watch the chips, if you are in line with the pin and get flakes of rust you have a fractured pin, if not you are out of line and need to STOP. Increase the diameter of the hole 1/64" drill size at a time, WATCHING the chips. When you start breaking through the side wall of the pin you should notice rust flakes and large fractured chips off the wall of the pin. Now try to punch out the remnants.

If the remnants did not punch out its "hot wrench time"! using the smallest cutting torch available at low heat try burning out the remainder of the pin. Done properly only the pin will get hot enough to burn and leave the hinge undamaged. Consider a small burn, then attempting to punch the remainder, but always keep the hole open for heat and gasses to escape.

Last step (especially for the door side hinge which is riveted and spot welded to the door) is to call me, we make replacement hinges.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #3
Fred A

I see no evidence of a seized pin. The door check arms have no rubber and swinging the door open and forward has deformed the door and body, making contact and binding before latching. I have other good doors that may not have been damaged in this way. Perhaps those hinge pins can be removed easily. Thanks for such a complete explanation. Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:19 PM   #4
Newc

The Knurled section of the pin is only the top 1/4". I drill that out. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote