Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Two Bolt Distributor Lubrication?

I am putting together a "crab" distributor from parts. I notice that from my nine examples, none of the rear bushings are drilled from the holes at nine and twelve o'clock. Are these holes from an early version for lubrication that was found to be unneeded? Is there any reason to drill (or not) the bushings other than to cause an oil leak? Up the center, a few of the camshafts have a threaded plug and others just plugged. In the past, I've pulled the little worm that wicks the oil to the little forward bushing behind the rotor. They were all dirty and cleaned well in acetone. I favor the threaded plug as long as the shaft mikes good. Any other good or bad ideas? Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Two Bolt Distributor Lubrication?

All of the crab distributers I have worked with have been just as you found with all of yours. The bushing is not drilled some bushing material {oil light} allow the oil to soak in so no additional hole would be needed no doubt the material used in the Ford dizzys. Usually I find no wear issues with the bushing and find the shame for the distributor shaft so the original design works pretty good..
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 08-28-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #3
Terry,OH

There is a small weep hole, in the block casting, under the special plug allowing engine oil from the area of the plug to lube the timing gears and the back of the distributor.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #4
Mart

If you take the bush out, you can see that there is a cavity in the distributor housing where oil can pass through. The oil gets to the outside of the bush and as the bush is porous it soaks through to lubricate the shaft.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #5
Fred A

When cleaning the bushing with a finger, I thought the bushings had a rough "texture". "Rebuilt" distributors offered with new bushings seem unlikely to have the special feature. Impressive engineering. Thanks to the Barners: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote