Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #1
Fred A

Default AC Electric Fuel Pump?

Considering the use of an AC type fuel pump in my '40. I say AC type in that there are subsequent clones like the Amgauge et al. Here in California we have an ethanol fuel blend that could get worse as part of aggressive electrification schemes. The two pumps that I have are dated '78 and '94. I prefer to plan for the long term as this is part of a total fuel line change. Therefore, are these pumps a risky choice? Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:43 AM   #2
mike in tucson

Default Re: AC Electric Fuel Pump?

My 39 Ford has an electric pump. The pump quit working after it sat with a load of pump gas with alcohol junk. We removed the tank and discovered that the pump was stopped up with rubber hose debris.... come to find out that the common alcohol resistant hose is resistant ONLY on the inside..... not the outside. IF the hose is immersed, the outside is attacked and the hose rots from the outside. There is an immersible hose (Gates) that can be in the gas. IF you do a pump inside the tank, use the immersible hose.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #3
Fred A

Luckily, the '40 fuel line is all steel from the tank to the engine compartment. The AC electric fuel pumps are inline and loud enough to warn when out of gas. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:15 PM   #4
Krylon32

Several Years ago I built a 32 Ford and used an Air Tex inline fuel pump. I just used the common automotive pump and we had no pure unleaded available. I went thru 2 pumps with the ethanol and then the auto parts store suggested a marine pump which looked identical but never failed while I owned the car.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
Flathead Fever

If you run an electric fuel pump with the original mechanical pump you will need one that shuts off in the "open position" so the mechanical pump can still draw fuel through it. Most of them shut off in the closed position so the fuel doesn't flow pack down the line and into the tank. Mount the pump as close to the tank as you so it can easily prime. Stick a filter between the pump and the tank, that protects the pump. A lot of older fuel hose, carb kits and fuels pumps have rubber that is not designed for alcohol use. A vintage pump might fail on you. I only use the fuel line recommended for high pressure fuel injection. It is made from better material and will last a lot longer. Somebody mentioned the outer hose is not fuel proof, that is 100% correct, it will rapidly turn to mush if it is submerged in a fuel tank. There is a special submersible hose for in-tank electric fuel pumps.

Airtex pumps don't have the vintage look of an old Stewart Warner or AC but they work pretty good. They make one that is low pressure and open when in it's in the off position. Make sure it says its compatible with alcohol. Most manufacturers have upgraded their pumps and carb kits but there are still older ones on the shelves being sold. All electric pumps eventually fail. If you are on the road and this happens, turn the key on and smack the pump. It will usually start pumping again to get you home where it can be replaced.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:16 AM   #6
The Liberator

Be sure to check the pressure, I ran a low pressure electric fuel pump for a dual stromberg set up that actually produced more pressure than advertised. I had to run a low pressure regulator as well and never had an issue.
The Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:47 AM   #7
Pech33

Ditto what The Liberator says. The stock 94 carb only wants 2-3 lbs (if I remember) of fuel pressure. My pump says it is rated at 5-8 lbs, way too much, that’s why it was flooding out. A Holly pressure reducer did the trick. Mr. Gasket reducer is cheaper, but it is not accurate, IMHO.
Pech33 is offline   Reply With Quote