Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 51 F2 Engine Options

FirstGen, have you driven one of the early 4-speed transmissions? Miles on an engine doesn't tell you a whole lot, it depends on the type of miles and how well it was maintained.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #22
FirstGenF2

As a matter of fact, no I haven't hence why I ask
Old 03-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #23
tubman

I had a neighbor who died a couple of years ago at 90. He used to tell tales of driving dump trucks on the first job he had after returning from WW II. He said they had many trucks, 6 and 8 cylinder Fords, Dodges, and a few Chevy's. He said is was first come, first serve for which truck you drove, and he said all of the experienced drivers came in early for the pick of trucks. He said the Ford sixes went first, the Dodges second, with the Ford V8's third, with the Chevy's left for the rookies and new hires.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #24
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGenF2 View Post
If you lucked out and it has a T98 it wont be hard shifting. If its got the 59T they have no syncros and you will have a new experience learning to drive it if you have never driven one before. Your first triip down the road you will understand better why you might want to swap the rear for a better ratio.
Also that truck does not have self energizing brakes. 1951 F2 was the first for that. Your truck will have the 48 ford car style brakes. But the 1948 ford and up F1 had 11" self energizing brakes.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #25
FirstGenF2

"1951 F2 was the first for that. Your truck will have the 48 ford car style brakes. But the 1948 ford and up F1 had 11" self energizing brakes." if im reading this right you contradicted yourself mine is a late 51 so it should have them?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
It can be a very interesting experience. First off you only really have three usable gears because of how low the first gear is. And if it doesn't have synchronizers, it is an acquired skill to shift. If it is just something to play around with, should be fine. But if you intended to drive it on a road with other vehicles, it can be a challenge.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #27
FirstGenF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
It can be a very interesting experience. First off you only really have three usable gears because of how low the first gear is. And if it doesn't have synchronizers, it is an acquired skill to shift. If it is just something to play around with, should be fine. But if you intended to drive it on a road with other vehicles, it can be a challenge.
I should specify I have experience driving a 45' cj2a and a 45' IH armored half-track so I am familiar with the hard shifting and granny geared vehicles I'm just not familiar with the ford. the half-track though really essentially is a dump truck that slows down really fast if you push in the clutch
Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #28
skidmarks

Quote:
"1951 F2 was the first for that. Your truck will have the 48 ford car style brakes. But the 1948 ford and up F1 had 11" self energizing brakes." if im reading this right you contradicted yourself mine is a late 51 so it should have them?
Sorry, for some reason when i typed that i thought your truck was a 50.

It should have the 12" bendix brakes, do the backing plates have a slot for the adjuster or 2 bolts at 3 and 9 o'clock to adjust the brakes?
Old 03-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #29
Ross F-1

To the original question; it MAY be worth going to the V8 simply due to parts availability. Oil pumps, water pumps, thermostat housings (prone to breakage), and a couple other important parts are very hard to find. But changing from a 6 to an 8 involves a fair amount of work; the battery should be relocated to the other side; the radiator is different; exhaust is different; all the engine electrical is different; fuel line routing is different; radiator air dams are different (the one on the underside of the hood).

Here's the brake situation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-2 Brakes-2.JPG (32.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg F-2 Front brake.JPG (22.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg F-2 rear brake.JPG (22.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #30
skidmarks

Parts are not that hard to find for a H motor.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #31
Dick Webber

I'll join the 6 boosters. Mine has a 6, on purchase I planned to swap to a 239. I decided to drive it and see. The 6 is great. Doesn't crack, overheat or vapor lock, and always starts. I have had no carb troubles at all. I've had it 25 years. Totally dependable.

I did use Charlie Schwendler for a V8 carb rebuild and was well pleased.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 PM   #32
FirstGenF2

Well, I'm dumb, the reason the carb doesn't seal to save its life is that where the midsection bolts to the base section are stripped out, duh. il check the brakes tomorrow and get back to you (If i remember right they have the slot), I just took the head off and yeah it has 2mm or carbon buildup on the block face, cylinder walls are bright and have no major scarring, and two of the valves have at least 25% of their contact area missing. I'm glad I didn't put the front end on before realizing how bad the engine is. it also might be of intrest that the last time it was registered it was marked for GVW of 12,000lbs if i remember right f2s were factory rated for either 4800 or 5200.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #33
flatheadmurre

Did you check compression before you tore off the head ?
Guides and valves are available so no problems there.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #34
DD931

I have an early '48 F-1 with a six. I think more F-1's had sixes than V-8's. It's a great running truck. When I was a kid in the 50's everyone knew that a six would beat a V-8 in a drag race. Leave it the way Henry made it!! The only change I made was to take out the horrible crash box 4 speed and replace it with a three-speed. Just like a brand new truck!
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #35
redmodelt

If you do go the route of updating the rear end at some point, not all 3/4 ton f250's are the same. From what I have put together reading on the subject you need to look for 1972 and earlier rear end.
google "fordbarn; F2 rear end" There is a lot of info that has been posted on Ford Barn on the subject.

You might want to get a copy of some of the catalogs that cover F series pickups for your year.
Like; Dennis Carpenter, LMC Truck etc, ok even Mac's.

Last edited by redmodelt; 03-14-2018 at 10:45 AM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #36
FirstGenF2

What should i look for on the brakes to tell the differance?
Old 03-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #37
FirstGenF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
If you do go the route of updating the rear end at some point, not all 3/4 ton f250's are the same. From what I have put together reading on the subject you need to look for 1972 and earlier rear end.
google "fordbarn; F2 rear end" There is a lot of info that has been posted on Ford Barn on the subject.

You might want to get a copy of some of the catalogs that cover F series pickups for your year.
Like; Dennis Carpenter, LMC Truck etc, ok even Mac's.
I think the 6s were more common in all types of f series, all of the stock ones i have seen have them, and from what ive heard the only way to kill them is taking them on the interstate after draining the oil
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #38
skidmarks

Quote:
What should i look for on the brakes to tell the differance?
Early uses an 11/16 wrench with 2 adjusters at 3 and 9 oclock.. Bendix brakes use a spoon or screwdriver at the bottom through a slot.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #39
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
I have an early '48 F-1 with a six. I think more F-1's had sixes than V-8's. It's a great running truck. When I was a kid in the 50's everyone knew that a six would beat a V-8 in a drag race. Leave it the way Henry made it!! The only change I made was to take out the horrible crash box 4 speed and replace it with a three-speed. Just like a brand new truck!
I guess it's a good thing Bonnie and Clyde couldn't have had a 6 in 1934. The law never would have caught them! : ). I had a few of them in the '50's but none of them were fast. Good low end torque and tough though. Don't ever remember even seeing one at a drag race or dirt track race.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #40
FirstGenF2

It has bendex brakes, in good working order just need new shoes.